Team nekkid or with a case?

• Team nekkid

Votes: 119 26.3%
  • Case

Votes: 279 61.6%
  • Nekkid with occasional case

Votes: 55 12.1%

• Total voters
SPRINT is trash here in the bay area. TMO is good here. if Tmobile is pretty good in your area, it will be the best value IMO.

$100 for 4 lines, all with data unlimited everything 2GB data each line, unlimited but slows after, was tough to beat.

and just been a sucker for GSM networks.

Not to mention wi-if calling. If you have a wi fi signal available, you have the whole T-Mobile network available to make and receive calls and messages. So even for those people who have no service and want to take advantage of a cheap bill, they will have service if they have a wifi connection

The best part? It's a free standard feature for every T-Mobile phone.

Hey quick question since I left my grandfather plan (unlimited data) for a 10GB split between 3 people I feel I can't abuse like how I did with unlimited .

When you have wifi on and the wifi lines are on the top left and your 4G/LTE is still on does that take up data ? Or does it use my wifi since the symbol is on kinda lazy to go to settings turn off data etc every time il get on wifi

somebody answer this man's question lol^

Really considering T-Mobile's 3GB plan and the $27 a month on top for two years..down to pay only $110 up front. after those two year its $60 a month...just need to make sure T Mobile is good around where i am. gonna ask my friend who has a 5s and see what he says

Hey quick question since I left my grandfather plan (unlimited data) for a 10GB split between 3 people I feel I can't abuse like how I did with unlimited .

When you have wifi on and the wifi lines are on the top left and your 4G/LTE is still on does that take up data ? Or does it use my wifi since the symbol is on kinda lazy to go to settings turn off data etc every time il get on wifi

When your wifi is on in your settings and your in the wifi area, it's automatically connected. If the wifi signal is off or not working it automatically reverts to using you Providers data, but you can turn the data off as well, this way it gives you no service at all if it's not wifi, and requires you to manually turn it on. If it ever reads 3G/4g/LTE etc. Then your cellular providers data is being used.

Last edited:
Not to mention wi-if calling. If you have a wi fi signal available, you have the whole T-Mobile network available to make and receive calls and messages. So even for those people who have no service and want to take advantage of a cheap bill, they will have service if they have a wifi connection

The best part? It's a free standard feature for every T-Mobile phone.
Actually Tmobile have WIFI texting now!

I don't understand the benefit of having wifi calling and texting, when every plan now(on text and calling) is unlimited. No plans are 250 texts 500 minutes anymore. It's all unlimited, and data is the limited area.

Also, if you are in an area where no cell service is available, it's not likely to find a working wifi connection either, right?

I know this has been beat to death the last few pages but I think this is probably the clearest explanation given for AT&T Next. Found on reddit.

Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, nor do I sell phones, nor do I care at the end of the day what plan you have. I'm just a guy who did a lot of homework and likes people having accurate information.

Summary

AT&T Next (and Verizon Edge) basically allow you to divorce the act of owning and paying for a phone, from paying for cellular service.

Background

All currently available mainstream plans feature two components- a DATA charge, and a LINE charge. We will ignore the DATA charge aspect from here on out, because it's the same regardless of what plan you choose.

AT&T Next offers you a lower monthly line charge ($15 less for data plans under 10gb, $25 less for 10gb
and over) in exchange for them not giving you a large subsidy when you buy your phone. Next plans never involve a contract, and you can get out of them at any time, penalty free, by paying off the balance you owe on your phone.

Apples to Apples Comparison: Keeping a phone for two years

Let's start with the simplest case, and assume you are going to buy a phone and keep it for two years. Whether you save more on a contract or Next here depends on whether or not your data plan is 10gb or higher, as AT&T bumps the line charge from $25/mo down to $15/mo at that threshold.

All examples assume a new base iPhone 6. Cost of acquiring and line charges after two years:

Next plan, = 10gb: ~$40 sales tax on new phone + ($15 x 24 line charge) + ($27 x 24 phone payment) = $1048

As we see here, you pay slightly more for a Next plan versus a contract if your data plan is under 10gb. However, that $88 buys you the flexibility to exit the deal at any time you want. If you are 10gb or over, you get the best of both worlds, saving about $150 over two years being on Next, plus you retain full freedom to walk away at any time.

So how does Next make AT&T money?

On trade-ins. Next gives you the OPTION, but not the obligation, to trade in the phone after either 12 or 18 months, depending on which payment schedule you choose. Should you choose to do so, you send the phone back to AT&T (it must be in salable condition), and in exchange, they forgive the remaining balance that you owe.

Example: Month 18 of "Next 18" plan: Amount owed on phone is $27 x 6 remaining months = $162. However, an 18 month old iPhone is worth substantially more than $162. A better option is to pay off the $162 so that you own the phone free and clear, and then sell it on your own for something around $350. Then just rinse and repeat with a new phone; as AT&T isn't paying for any of the phone, there's no cool-down period to start over as there is when on contract.

Summary

On a new iPhone, a Next plan may be slightly more expensive over two years with a small data plan, or a good deal cheaper with a family sized data plan. Either way, the ability to walk away at any time without penalty by just paying what you owe for the phone is a valuable thing. Trading in the phone leaves money on the table, but if you keep the phone the full two years, or pay it off and sell yourself earlier, there are few downsides to going with the Next plan.

I know this has been beat to death the last few pages but I think this is probably the clearest explanation given for AT&T Next. Found on reddit.

Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, nor do I sell phones, nor do I care at the end of the day what plan you have. I'm just a guy who did a lot of homework and likes people having accurate information.

Summary

AT&T Next (and Verizon Edge) basically allow you to divorce the act of owning and paying for a phone, from paying for cellular service.

Background

All currently available mainstream plans feature two components- a DATA charge, and a LINE charge. We will ignore the DATA charge aspect from here on out, because it's the same regardless of what plan you choose.

AT&T Next offers you a lower monthly line charge ($15 less for data plans under 10gb, $25 less for 10gb
and over) in exchange for them not giving you a large subsidy when you buy your phone. Next plans never involve a contract, and you can get out of them at any time, penalty free, by paying off the balance you owe on your phone.

Apples to Apples Comparison: Keeping a phone for two years

Let's start with the simplest case, and assume you are going to buy a phone and keep it for two years. Whether you save more on a contract or Next here depends on whether or not your data plan is 10gb or higher, as AT&T bumps the line charge from $25/mo down to $15/mo at that threshold.

All examples assume a new base iPhone 6. Cost of acquiring and line charges after two years:

Next plan, = 10gb: ~$40 sales tax on new phone + ($15 x 24 line charge) + ($27 x 24 phone payment) = $1048

As we see here, you pay slightly more for a Next plan versus a contract if your data plan is under 10gb. However, that $88 buys you the flexibility to exit the deal at any time you want. If you are 10gb or over, you get the best of both worlds, saving about $150 over two years being on Next, plus you retain full freedom to walk away at any time.

So how does Next make AT&T money?

On trade-ins. Next gives you the OPTION, but not the obligation, to trade in the phone after either 12 or 18 months, depending on which payment schedule you choose. Should you choose to do so, you send the phone back to AT&T (it must be in salable condition), and in exchange, they forgive the remaining balance that you owe.

Example: Month 18 of "Next 18" plan: Amount owed on phone is $27 x 6 remaining months = $162. However, an 18 month old iPhone is worth substantially more than $162. A better option is to pay off the $162 so that you own the phone free and clear, and then sell it on your own for something around $350. Then just rinse and repeat with a new phone; as AT&T isn't paying for any of the phone, there's no cool-down period to start over as there is when on contract.

Summary

On a new iPhone, a Next plan may be slightly more expensive over two years with a small data plan, or a good deal cheaper with a family sized data plan. Either way, the ability to walk away at any time without penalty by just paying what you owe for the phone is a valuable thing. Trading in the phone leaves money on the table, but if you keep the phone the full two years, or pay it off and sell yourself earlier, there are few downsides to going with the Next plan.
Repped!

Actually love the next plan
I have 3 on my line
One had an upgrade
The other two did NOT

I UPGRADED one without the next for my niece and used the next on myself so I was able to lower my monthly from 220 - $197 using the mobile share discount

I get 10Gb of data to share with 3 people and unlimited text and talk.

So in 18 months I can either trade in my phone and in 24 I keep my phone AND have an extra upgrade from the 2 year I signed now.. Let alone I have an extra line depending on what that person does with their upgrade

I don't understand the benefit of having wifi calling and texting, when every plan now(on text and calling) is unlimited. No plans are 250 texts 500 minutes anymore. It's all unlimited, and data is the limited area.

Also, if you are in an area where no cell service is available, it's not likely to find a working wifi connection either, right?

Wifi calling will be great to have when I'm traveling outside of the US. That was the first benefit I thought of when they announced it.

Wifi calling will be great to have when I'm traveling outside of the US. That was the first benefit I thought of when they announced it.
Aha, I see grasshopper, nice info

Currently I have unlimited data with my ATT plan (grandfathered in). If I were to upgrade to the 6/6+ would I be able to keep my unlimited data or would I be forced into the ATT Next plan?

Also actual size of the iPhone 6+ damn phone is pretty big
eek.gif

http://www.piliapp.com/actual-size/iphone-6-plus/
So using this tool the 6+ screen is exactly as tall as the entire i5, and about 3/4inch wider than the entire i5

u should be good man i have unlimited data on att also. I had it since the iphone 3gs and been upgrading to the latest iphone with no issue.
I'm really considering on switching over to the 10gb family plan. i only use about 3Gigs a month.

Currently I have unlimited data with my ATT plan (grandfathered in). If I were to upgrade to the 6/6+ would I be able to keep my unlimited data or would I be forced into the ATT Next plan?
You get to keep it.. But what made me switch was I was thinking hell naw I ain't leaving my unlimited data . But I checked my usesage and I was only using about 7-8 GB of data TOPS between 3 people so it was pointless to keep the unlimited when the new mobile share plans has cheaper options

Nah I know some places that don't have cell service but have wifi, mostly gyms and schools. Guess they want to monitor what you're doing.

Personally when I'm at the office were up higher than the towers and my signal gets really spotty if I'm somewhere not near the windows. Any day that I spend at the office will drain my battery quickly as the phone tries to find a signal most of the day.

We do have wifi rolled out all over the office though so if I could make wifi calls and texts if still be connected even though I'm not on the carrier network.

Personally when I'm at the office were up higher than the towers and my signal gets really spotty if I'm somewhere not near the windows. Any day that I spend at the office will drain my battery quickly as the phone tries to find a signal most of the day.

We do have wifi rolled out all over the office though so if I could make wifi calls and texts if still be connected even though I'm not on the carrier network.

No service in my office. Airplane mode all day to save battery.

^I know spigen cases come with screen protectors unless they stop doing it. That was the best thing than the actual case.
laugh.gif
Best screen protector I've ever used, crappy quality case though.
Yeah I got my Spigen case in yesterday. Seems like pretty lousy quality 
ohwell.gif

I ordered their screen protectors as well, so we'll see how they work. I might just have to cop a nice case from the Apple store or something. 

Not sure if this has been posted, but if you had preordered your device from Apple you can check the shipping from UPS by Track by Reference and use your cell phone #.

Back
Top Bottom