Aqua 8s Black Friday 2015

I don't think this year's Aqua's or Bordeaux's actually had Durabuck. If that's the case, then the 2014 Infrareds did too. Now please here me out before you all start roasting. I've been brought to this conclusion based on the following.
1. If anyone owns the 2014 Infrareds, you probably noticed that JB used 2 different Nubuck materials on the upper.
View media item 1806256The red marks indicate the sections of the shoe that has a different texture than the rest of the shoe. It looks and feels exactly like the material on the black portion of the Aqua's. I have both pairs on hand and if you don't, you probably won't know what I'm talking about.
2. While some may say no because there isn't any grey lining there, if you look at the show you'll notice the other material is directly on top of the red marked portions so you wouldn't be able to see it any way.
3. Either it's Durabuck on the 2014 Infrareds on the red marked areas I shown or its Nubuck. I'm pretty sure if the two have the same material then the Aqua's and Bordeaux's (which used the same material) are Nubuck as well. I remember hearing someone, maybe MJO23DAN MJO23DAN say that Nubuck comes in many forms and I think this is the case. I think we are still confused as to what Durabuck is and is not.

Before ANYONE tries to jump on my comments I'll just say this, if you don't have both the 2014 Infrareds and the 2015 Aqua's, and have taken a good look at both materials you are not going to have any idea what I'm talking about, so please save your comments.

You're right about the 2014 black infrared 6 having durabuck. It's on those lower panels that you marked in red. Upper panels (the "23"), toe box and heel seem to be nubuck. Blk/Infrared 6s are a mixture of both durabuck and nubuck. That's why when dudes bash the 14' blk/infra 6s and say that they didn't have durabuck one has to say "uh uh not so fast" lol. They actuctually do have you're beloved durabuck, a lot of folks just chose to look over it. Personally I love the black inf 6s from last year and think JB did a good job on them.

Last edited:
nope to jaylaw

i believe its durabuck just not as good as it use to be back in the og days

durabuck use to be real rubbery like and i vaguely remember car seats in the 80's and the way they felt

also i was under the impression that durabuck is trademarked by nike

Last edited:
You're right about the 2014 black infrared 6 having durabuck. It's on those lower panels that you marked in red. Upper panels (the "23"), toe box and heel seem to be nubuck. Blk/Infrared 6s are a mixture of both durabuck and nubuck. That's why when dudes bash the 14' blk/infra 6s and say that they didn't have durabuck one has to say "uh uh not so fast" lol. They actuctually do have you're beloved durabuck, a lot of folks just chose to look over it. Personally I love the black inf 6s from last year and think JB did a good job on them.

i got a problem with them using both materials but it doesnt look as bad as it does on other shoes

an example of using both materials and it looking awful is the fligh lite retro in black purple last year. the two materials completely ruin that shoe

one doesnt crease as much as the other and i think thata why they dont use full durabuck much

Durabuck>>>>nubuck n suede.

Go wear each pair in the rain n see which one dries without water stains. If you're worried about lint then get a lint roller :lol:

Last edited:
i got a problem with them using both materials but it doesnt look as bad as it does on other shoes

an example of using both materials and it looking awful is the fligh lite retro in black purple last year. the two materials completely ruin that shoe

one doesnt crease as much as the other and i think thata why they dont use full durabuck much
I've just been confused as to why they used 2 different leathers for the 2014 black Infrareds when the whole shoe could have been the new version of Durabuck instead.

They used 2 different leathers in the white Infrareds too in a similar way. The toe had crappy leather and the other panels had a better leather.

Glad the Aqua's were nice material. They could have used thicker leather and Durabuck on the straps though Because they are flimsy as heck

think it has to do with creasing

because dudes nowadays are so anal retentive about creasing they use cheap hard leather and nubuck n the toes and front side parts instead of full grain leather and durabuck which are softer and less stiff materials

Glad I finally got some clarification, the aquas, bordeauxs, 2012 2aptors, playoff 8s are not durabuck but actually Nike's own version of the material because durabuck stopped production in 1998 right ???? @MJO23DAN

No they didn't stop production of durabuck at all. They still have it and use durabuck as we know it on various shoes whether it be Nike or JB. It definitely didn't stop in 1998. 2000 blk/infra 6s were ALL durabuck.

Grabbed my pair with ease yesterday. Love that I was able to cop these, bords and hares with no hassle this year! With that being said, sadly, I don't think ill be keeping these. That glitter is just way over kill for my tastes. I've got to say the quality is on point tho! Hopefully the chromes are the same

We should actually be calling Durabuck a synthetic leather because that's all it really is. And to the dude that said Durabuck is greater than suede and nubuck overdosed on way too much turkey this Thanksgiving.

I'm not referring to what is more premium.

Durabuck is durable so that's why I'm always going to prefer that over nubuck or suede.

Classic OG models... Black cement 4, Metallic 5, Infrared 6, Bordeaux 7, Playoff n Aqua 8s ALL durabuck

Last edited:
how do those nomos fit and feel?
They're a little tight and narrow in the mid foot/arch area, but then again what Nike's aren't....

laugh.gif

Otherwise, they're comfortable IMO...

I might just have to break em in, it could be the socks I was wearing also...

The retro market has already been saturated.   I'm not sure what you'e asking though, but it just goes back to consumers; goes back to supply and demand.  If things become unsustainable from a consumer's standpoint, then you get the obvious choice of selection.  This is where you'll see the divide.  

Think most people already realize what's going on..

Def saturated. I don't know if its bcz i live in nyc and every other person is a sneakerhead but on any given day you can see multiple ppl rocking retros from 1-13. With ebay and cosignment stores it's not hard to find what you want as long as you have the $ for it. $400 can get you almost any retro 1-13

Def saturated. I don't know if its bcz i live in nyc and every other person is a sneakerhead but on any given day you can see multiple ppl rocking retros from 1-13. With ebay and cosignment stores it's not hard to find what you want as long as you have the $ for it. $400 can get you almost any retro 1-13

So true one reason I can never get out of this hobby

Nyc has always been the nyc sneaker capital way before the consignent stores when you saw someone with heat and you they saw what you had cool
but now everyone in the 5 boros can have any jordan they want as long as you have paper

The end is close but not near

Last edited:

These things go in cycles. Retros got super hot a few years back...again. And now the last 4-5 releases haven't sold out. I'm curious to see the XIs this year, now with the price at $210-220. I think the chrome 8s will sell just like the Aquas and possibly sit longer, Maroon VIs should be interesting with a $220 price tag. Even with this slow down, which is really releases not selling out within hours, we don't know if Nike is selling more units at higher prices than years back. I'd assume, yes they're doing fine and sales continue to grow.

Last edited:
Imma need for JB to give us a proper play off 8 retro. Red pull tab, cracked Nubuck like the 2007 pair, Nike air insole and paint that doesn't crack. While the 2013 pair isnt too bad it's really wierd possessing one remastered 8 while the others anent lol.

Although I hope they don't bring them back with flimsy straps like the new Aqua's

Plus I know the hype would be low which would mean an easy cop and probably a hand full of raffles necessary to get em just like these :D

Last edited:
I'm not referring to what is more premium.

Durabuck is durable so that's why I'm always going to prefer that over nubuck or suede.

Classic OG models... Black cement 4, Metallic 5, Infrared 6, Bordeaux 7, Playoff n Aqua 8s ALL durabuck

This couldn't be further from the truth. If you look at those OG models, Durabuck breaks down horribly. It's super tough to restore OGs with Durabuck because of those materials. You can search some YouTube videos and see even the best restorers attempt to sole swap. The material sucks and Nike should've used raw materials then.

Why when they released (just like most of the retros or hot sneakers) does NDC, FA, and FL freeze up then say they are in peoples carts or sold out when obviously there not and you can check them out hours later or days even?

I'm returning mine when I get them from NDC. I have the '07's, but I just went to the mall and checked them out in person. The grey suede material on the back of the shoe was already messed up on all the models in each store that was an immediate sign on the durability of these and the shoe buckles are much more flimsy than my '07's. There is a reason these are sitting. Disappointed because I really like this colorway, but not worth $190 with those issues. When I buy shoes I want to wear them to last.

Back
Top Bottom