Are foamposite "played out" ?

Originally Posted by golfinguru11

Im about to get a TON of hate from the team Penny d-riders, but its ok. I'll live...

Nike is making this shoe (and the Penny shoe line) out to be something that it simply is not. Shoe heads make penny out to be some god-like dude who was on the level of MJ, when in reality if you look at his stats he is nothing that special. He averaged like 20 7 and 5 is his BEST years (of which he had like 4 of since he was injured all the time). When a dude is more known for his sneaker line than his career, that is a problem imo. So for Nike to be releasing foamposites (which WERE NOT revolutionary by any means. How many performance shoes today have foamposite in them? They are as heavy as a brick.) like they are some sort of amazing revolutionary classic shoe is Nike being Nike, manipulating the consumer into thinking these are some sort of amazing shoe. They sat on shelves back then for a reason.

Also, EVERY COLOR THEY RELEASE IS MONOTONE with black nubuck eyelets/lining. There is no paneling like on an air force or dunk, so the potential for non-OG CWs to become great is really not there. These foams that release literally take 5 minutes to come up with. I'd bet the Nike people close their eyes and randomly picks a color on the color wheel. I have no clue how they still sell out and sell for over retail @ $220!!! That foam material is actually cheaper to make than regular pleather/suede shoes. The reason they costed a lot back in 97 is because the molds were a few hundred thousand to build each, but they have the SAME mold from 97. People are dumb.
Interesting take, GG.

As far as whether Penny the player deserved this treatment, that's an interesting, but I'm sure wholly relevant question. I guess Penny had the potential to be a transcendent player and showed flashes of it, but in truth never really achieved anywhere near his potential, injuries playing a huge role in that. But, it's worth noting that way more players in Penny's era had sigs or pseudo sigs than today.

As far as the shoe not being revolutionary, tech-wise, it's a worthwhile perspective to consider that the material did not subsequently become a staple of Nike's stable of materials. I mean, when you think about design and tech elements that really revolutionized and then become just part and parcel of the brand you have "Air" most obviously. Max Air. Then, you have Zoom Air. The Huarache sock.Even something like Flywire has been more widely used in Nike's production already than Foam has. There's really a lot ahead of the Foam.

But, the flip side is that the shoe was truly like nothing else that had existed before it. So, while the revolution may not have established the staying power as some of Nike's best technological breakthroughs, there was true novelty and design breakthrough in this shoe.

Originally Posted by AIR 96st

I'm sorry, but you're the dumb one, with averages like Penny was putting up, he was up there with MJ, Pip and the rest, on top of that, he was younger than them with loads of potential. Was he Mike? NO.. But when it came to talking about guards, Penny was mentioned all the time. The only reason he's mentioned more for his kicks is because That's NIKE. No one talks about Bo Jackson's game, they talk about his kicks. Barkley, TNT and Kicks. -Even Jordan, the greatest ever, 'round these parts and beyond is what? The XI's?? Of course he's mentioned because of his kicks, why not? I don't hear People talking about CHUCK TAYLOR, yet his converse are worn everyday, worldwide!I won't even go there when you mentioned foams weren't revolutionary... Like we had kicks made from a old besides vulcanized bottoms..you're a Joke. They sat on shelves because of the PRICE. Penny had tons of fans, but for many, $180.00 Sans tax was steep! Even Jordan's cost less!! The minimum color to the shoe is one of its strengths... When you see someone from afar, you KNOW he has on foams! So, you're bugging on that one. I only agree with you on price, they should be at least $200.00 straight, other than that, your rant was just STUPID. I can only speak for myself, Shaq got me interested again in Basketball, Penny kept me a Magic fan to this day. When I rock my foams or ANY Penny shoe, it's because of the Player FIRST, then how dope they are.

Excuse me? Bo is considered by many one to be of the greatest pure athletes to ever grace the planet. ...Charles Barkley, who never lacks for ego, was quoted as saying that Bo was the best athlete in Auburn history. This is coming from the man who held out belief that he was better than MJ until Game 4 of the '93 Finals, when Bark put up 32-12-10 and still couldn't beat Jordan, who went off for 55. So, it took Barkley until 1993 to acknowledge that Jordan was a superior basketball player, yet he freely acknowledged Bo's athletic superiority.

Bo played 2 professional sports at a relatively high level.He made an ASG and a Pro Bowl. He slugged .475 for his career and averaged nearly 5.5 yards per rush in the NFL. ...You are absolutely insane if you think that Bo's legacy is nothing but his kicks.

Here's an interesting story though. The only reason Bo even played football was that Nike basically paid him a huge under-the-table bonus to do so. In anticipation of launching their cross training line, they signed Vincent Edward Jackson based on his multi-sport prowess. At the time, Bo had not even declared which sport he'd pursue professionally. Nike was hoping on football because of the lengthy minor league process baseball players had to go though before making an impact on the national scene (BTW, Bo wound up debuting in the majors the same season in which he was drafted - after playing only 53 minor league games - for comparison, Bryce Harper played more than twice that many). They were worried they'd be paying millions upon millions to a flagship brand athlete and launching their new line on the back of minor league baseball player. Internal opinion was that he'd go to the NFL though. ...But, he didn't. He chose baseball. Nike basically paid him an extra bonus to attempt to play football too.

So, if NIKE IS BO's LEAGACY, it's because they charted his course as a multi-sport pro athlete. Of course, the line and Bo's spokesperson role was then complimented by what came to be known as one of the most successful ad campaigns in Nike's (and maybe in advertising) history. 

And, yes, Foams sat on shelves partially because of price. But, that's also a statement about demand. Market demand was not enough to make the launch of the Foam 1 a success - for whatever reason. We can try to explain it away and contextualize it, but it doesn't erase the fact that they failed.

Oh, and before you call somebody else stupid...

only agree with you on price, they should be at least $200.00 straight, other than that, your rant was just STUPID

They are "at least 200" They are 220. You meant to say, "at most." Ironic that you include this fundamental error in the very sentence in which you insult another's intelligence.

If you don't like a particular color way, don't buy!!! How can u blame NIKE? At the end of the day it's a business and they're striking while the iron is HOT and taking advantage of the youngins who will buy any and everything they think is cool or trending..

At this rate u can almost say every shoe is over saturated i.e. Kobe, lebron, Jordan, AM90, etc.. Buy what u like and keep it moving

Wow thanks for teaching a little something I didn't know bro, never knew about Nike making Bo play football just to launch their training line and its also true what you said about the foam 1 not being able to be successful because of how the market was at the time.  
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Luigyvintage

Wow thanks for teaching a little something I didn't know bro, never knew about Nike making Bo play football just to launch their training line and its also true what you said about the foam 1 not being able to be successful because of how the market was at the time.  
eyes.gif
NP glad to spread the knowledge. Not going at you here at all, so don't take this personally - this is more a comment to the general NT commentariat. I don't know you at all, so I'm not judging.

I lurked for years on this site before I started posting, and today, knowledge of the membership regarding Nike's history is at an all time low. When I first started reading here, it seemed like just about everybody had at least read this book http://www.amazon.com/Swo...ayed-There/dp/0887306225

The Bo story I just recounted is documented in there, along with a lot of other interesting info about Nike's history. Being into shoes isn't just about buying the newest Foam, it's about understanding the history and place of a company like Nike in the larger national and global culture and business world. Those who worked at Nike and built the brand are just as important - if not more so - in Nike's history as any of the athletes associated with their products. It would behoove a lot of the so-called "sneakerheads" here to do some substantive reading about the history of the company to which they are so devoted. And, Swoosh is a good place to start.

Originally Posted by BIP Roberts

I'm sorry, but you're the dumb one, with averages like Penny was putting up, he was up there with MJ, Pip and the rest, on top of that, he was younger than them with loads of potential. Was he Mike? NO.. But when it came to talking about guards, Penny was mentioned all the time. The only reason he's mentioned more for his kicks is because That's NIKE. No one talks about Bo Jackson's game, they talk about his kicks. Barkley, TNT and Kicks. -Even Jordan, the greatest ever, 'round these parts and beyond is what? The XI's?? Of course he's mentioned because of his kicks, why not? I don't hear People talking about CHUCK TAYLOR, yet his converse are worn everyday, worldwide!I won't even go there when you mentioned foams weren't revolutionary... Like we had kicks made from a old besides vulcanized bottoms..you're a Joke. They sat on shelves because of the PRICE. Penny had tons of fans, but for many, $180.00 Sans tax was steep! Even Jordan's cost less!! The minimum color to the shoe is one of its strengths... When you see someone from afar, you KNOW he has on foams! So, you're bugging on that one. I only agree with you on price, they should be at least $200.00 straight, other than that, your rant was just STUPID. I can only speak for myself, Shaq got me interested again in Basketball, Penny kept me a Magic fan to this day. When I rock my foams or ANY Penny shoe, it's because of the Player FIRST, then how dope they are.

Excuse me? Bo is considered by many one to be of the greatest pure athletes to ever grace the planet. ...Charles Barkley, who never lacks for ego, was quoted as saying that Bo was the best athlete in Auburn history. This is coming from the man who held out belief that he was better than MJ until Game 4 of the '93 Finals, when Bark put up 32-12-10 and still couldn't beat Jordan, who went off for 55. So, it took Barkley until 1993 to acknowledge that Jordan was a superior basketball player, yet he freely acknowledged Bo's athletic superiority.

Bo played 2 professional sports at a relatively high level.He made an ASG and a Pro Bowl. He slugged .475 for his career and averaged nearly 5.5 yards per rush in the NFL. ...You are absolutely insane if you think that Bo's legacy is nothing but his kicks.

Here's an interesting story though. The only reason Bo even played football was that Nike basically paid him a huge under-the-table bonus to do so. In anticipation of launching their cross training line, they signed Vincent Edward Jackson based on his multi-sport prowess. At the time, Bo had not even declared which sport he'd pursue professionally. Nike was hoping on football because of the lengthy minor league process baseball players had to go though before making an impact on the national scene (BTW, Bo wound up debuting in the majors the same season in which he was drafted - after playing only 53 minor league games - for comparison, Bryce Harper played more than twice that many). They were worried they'd be paying millions upon millions to a flagship brand athlete and launching their new line on the back of minor league baseball player. Internal opinion was that he'd go to the NFL though. ...But, he didn't. He chose baseball. Nike basically paid him an extra bonus to attempt to play football too.

So, if NIKE IS BO's LEAGACY, it's because they charted his course as a multi-sport pro athlete. Of course, the line and Bo's spokesperson role was then complimented by what came to be known as one of the most successful ad campaigns in Nike's (and maybe in advertising) history. 

And, yes, Foams sat on shelves partially because of price. But, that's also a statement about demand. Market demand was not enough to make the launch of the Foam 1 a success - for whatever reason. We can try to explain it away and contextualize it, but it doesn't erase the fact that they failed.

only agree with you on price, they should be at least $200.00 straight, other than that, your rant was just STUPID

They are "at least 200" They are 220. You meant to say, "at most." Ironic that you include this fundamental error in the very sentence in which you insult another's intelligence.

Wow.First of all, no one is down playing Bo's talents, I was talking about a sneaker heads point of view... They would take note of the style, colorway or number (example, AJ XI) before talking about how great the player was.Charles was also from Auburn, wasn't he?? I'm sure he would be a little bias to alumni. IS Bo a better athlete than Jordan? I think your "BO" rant is just based off of Bo being known for his kicks before his skill. But again, "from a Sneakeheads point-of-view". EXAMPLE: teens today never really seen Penny play, unless it was in a YouTube clip. They buy his kicks because they look good, they like the color way/s and HYPE. Again, Chuck Taylor was a great player.... What do Sneakeheads know about him?? -Not much, but they know the Missoni Joints are Dope...Dang, you must really like Bo... That's cool, I'll correct myself, Some people "still" talk about Bo's game, BUT most people know him for Nike's "BO KNOWS campaign. But he's in the same boat as Penny, a great athlete who's career was cut short due to injury.And you're right, I meant to say "At Most", thanks for correcting me.

Wow, BIP coming through with that Bo Jackson info. It makes sense though. I didn't know that and I know a decent amount about Nike history. I'll be sure to read that book. On a side note, I do agree with AIR on this point, I buy/rock my shoes based on me being a basketball fan and liking the players. It's obvious that train of thought is long gone these days with the target customer audience rocking whatever their favorite rapper has on at the moment. With that being said, I wouldn't doubt one bit Nike's marketing has shifted it's thinking and expanded it's advertising to rappers. I'm more than sure that they are giving rappers "unofficial" or "under the table" deals to wear their product (retros specifically) to increase hype. It's a small investment to drive the average customer insane and have blowout sales for each release (even if it's a mediocre release; i.e. Black AJ X a few months back). It's also smart because they don't have to spend advertising money again for these shoes. It's a damn shame though.

Didn't mean to thread jack, my bad.  

Originally Posted by BIP Roberts

I'm sorry, but you're the dumb one, with averages like Penny was putting up, he was up there with MJ, Pip and the rest, on top of that, he was younger than them with loads of potential. Was he Mike? NO.. But when it came to talking about guards, Penny was mentioned all the time. The only reason he's mentioned more for his kicks is because That's NIKE. No one talks about Bo Jackson's game, they talk about his kicks. Barkley, TNT and Kicks. -Even Jordan, the greatest ever, 'round these parts and beyond is what? The XI's?? Of course he's mentioned because of his kicks, why not? I don't hear People talking about CHUCK TAYLOR, yet his converse are worn everyday, worldwide! I won't even go there when you mentioned foams weren't revolutionary... Like we had kicks made from a old besides vulcanized bottoms..you're a Joke. They sat on shelves because of the PRICE. Penny had tons of fans, but for many, $180.00 Sans tax was steep! Even Jordan's cost less!! The minimum color to the shoe is one of its strengths... When you see someone from afar, you KNOW he has on foams! So, you're bugging on that one. I only agree with you on price, they should be at least $200.00 straight, other than that, your rant was just STUPID. I can only speak for myself, Shaq got me interested again in Basketball, Penny kept me a Magic fan to this day. When I rock my foams or ANY Penny shoe, it's because of the Player FIRST, then how dope they are.

Wow. First of all, no one is down playing Bo's talents, I was talking about a sneaker heads point of view... They would take note of the style, colorway or number (example, AJ XI) before talking about how great the player was. Charles was also from Auburn, wasn't he?? I'm sure he would be a little bias to alumni. IS Bo a better athlete than Jordan? I think your "BO" rant is just based off of Bo being known for his kicks before his skill. But again, "from a Sneakeheads point-of-view". EXAMPLE: teens today never really seen Penny play, unless it was in a YouTube clip. They buy his kicks because they look good, they like the color way/s and HYPE. Again, Chuck Taylor was a great player.... What do Sneakeheads know about him?? -Not much, but they know the Missoni Joints are Dope... Dang, you must really like Bo... That's cool, I'll correct myself, Some people "still" talk about Bo's game, BUT most people know him for Nike's "BO KNOWS campaign. But he's in the same boat as Penny, a great athlete who's career was cut short due to injury. And you're right, I meant to say "At Most", thanks for correcting me.
I personally think there's nothing wrong with liking the shoe while disliking the athlete OR disliking the shoe but liking the athlete. GG11's original post really had no relevance to this thread as he doesn't like the shoe or the athlete!
laugh.gif

Onto the subject at hand, I remember walking into Athletes World and Footlocker as a teen and being blown away by the ridiculous (Canadian) prices for Foamposites. The general perception THEN was that the shoes were both BOTH overpriced and strictly for balling as they looked like moonboots/clownshoes. With there currently being no separation between fashion and gaudiness - it's easy to see why Foams are in such high demand. Some of  these colourways would be RTVed to Nike if they came out a few years ago.

Just like any other popular nike product, they over saturate the market and then it dies out. It was the same way with the dunks and AF1's.
There will always be classic colorways of every shoe but that can get lost in the millions of colorways nike decides to put out

i agree
i hope more and more people feel the same as the OP

but i know its not going to happen anytime soon

i hope foams and jordans get "played out" so i dont have to deal with the b.s. and the high prices 
doubt that will ever happen ..... but one can always dream

i dont think so. as long as nike keeps the colorway simple and not too bright. ppl will keep buying even at price increase

Back
Top Bottom