Are You a Parent of a Young Child?

No she was borderline and in therapy but wasn't diagnosed but I didn't trust it. The reason i dont believe it is cause i was just told they are delayed and at risk but they didnt diagnose autism ... I do see my girls and I feel one of them is slow and the other is off. If that makes sense.

when did they go in for their assessment?

It's best if they go in bi-annually to see the developmental pediatrician.

First time around he was on the fence but gave him the diagnosis just so when he would go to school eventually he would get the correct resources.

Second time he was more certain that my son was autistic, though felt like my son could potentially grow 'out' of the diagnosis.

if you're not confident in one doctor, it's alright to go get a second opinion.

Last edited:
From early on to 2 my son was slow doing everything. Then outta nowhere this last year he just did a 180. The doc chalked it up as basically him being lazy. Dude would never count say his ABC's but outta nowhere one day he literally counts to 20 and says his ABCs when I asked him. He jus does stuff when he feels like it. Same with potty training, he just hopped up peed and flushed one day.

From early on to 2 my son was slow doing everything. Then outta nowhere this last year he just did a 180. The doc chalked it up as basically him being lazy. Dude would never count say his ABC's but outta nowhere one day he literally counts to 20 and says his ABCs when I asked him. He jus does stuff when he feels like it. Same with potty training, he just hopped up peed and flushed one day.

boys do develop slower, this is true. though the alphabet & numbers were never really an issue for him to learn, he got that rather quickly. He had a lot of echolaliac speech (rehearsed speech) when he did say stuff, and he still does that. That's another thing to look out for.

my mom insists he's fine, as did my father (may he R.I.P.), my father was a pediatrician and felt confident that he wasn't on the spectrum but he wasn't a developmental pediatrician.

you never know, but in any case, if a child is developmentally delayed then occupational therapy/speech therapy doesn't hurt.

parenthood is difficult, a lot of folks are extremely judgmental, it becomes almost a pissing match. "My kid can do this, this and this, oh BTW how is your kid doing?".

Moms can be very catty like that, but we all know as fathers that we are competitive with our little ones as well.

Oh no doubt I do my best to take care of my girls needs. Everyone tells me my girl looks like she's off in her own world. I feel like she is all the time. Till the day does its diagnosed I'm hoping its just d delayed. Best of luck to you dude. I understand how hard it is to deal with that type of behavior .

Last edited:
Oh no doubt I do my best to take care of my girls needs. Everyone tells me my girl looks like she's off in her own world. I feel like she is all the time. Till the day does its diagnosed I'm hoping its just d delayed. Best of luck to you dude. I understand how hard it is to deal with that type of behavior .

best of luck to you as well.

:smile:

Last edited:
Every child does develop at a different rate. This is just an awesome tool to have and to show your doctor when you go in.

Think they did the risk thing when my gf was preg....everything checked out ok and she wasn't at risk

Her younger cousin has autism and he was the first kid I ever seen with it. I tip my hat to any parent that raises a child under those circumstances. Seems very stressful

you can't diagnose or detect autism during pregnancy fam.

You're right...it was during a doctors visit when she was 2 I think...got that test mixed up with something else. Forgot the doctors was asking questions during the autism test thing

Think hers was around 2...I just know they asked a lot of questions and stuff. It was never a concern anyway because she never showed signs but it was a test that they always do regardless.

Think hers was around 2...I just know they asked a lot of questions and stuff. It was never a concern anyway because she never showed signs but it was a test that they always do regardless.

Yeah. With all children developing at different rates it's good that you can take this test from the comfort of your own home.

i work with autistic children, definately feel for the parents. There was a recent study on early detection and treatment that leads to more independency and improvement in neurological devlopment as the child ages

Last edited:
i work with autistic children, definately feel for the parents. There was a recent study on early detection and treatment that leads to more independency and improvement in neurological devlopment as the child ages

Probably was one of these doctors that did it!!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom