Asian Culture Discussion Thread

My girl did it and it says she has part Chinese I believe. I think she already knew since one side of her family is ethnically Chinese living in Vietnam. I refer to her as a Việt though cuz our families speak it.

As for me, I’m 100% Vietnamese and don’t need any confirmation. It would be interesting to know if I’m a descendent of Ghengis Khan tho :lol:

what part of the country is your family from? was there earlier this year and had THE BEST time. such a wonderful place filled with genuinely beautiful people.

ho chi minh city is BOOMING. couple that with like 60 something plus percent of the population being under 35 yrs is gonna boost that country. they already have the highest economic growth rate in all of eastern asia

Watching crazy rich Asians
As a black dude
Nick so p
Ain’t no way I’m a just let my girl get disrespected
Then on top of that
At the wedding
Him assuming she in the back somewhere :smh:
Dude a sucka
Mind u my wife Filipino
So I be having to deal with bs that come from me being black
But no way would we let either of our fam
Disrespect either one of us

My coworker went to HK recently. Said it was amazing. I'm always skeptical about white people travel reviews though. They have different experiences travelling. Raving about Europe and all that while all I had to tolerate was racism in Europe.

HK brethrens what's it really like?, Thinking about maybe working there and cashing in if if the States don't work out for me.

My bro has been to europe a few times and hasn't had problems. I'm jealous he went to Amsterdam.

My coworker went to HK recently. Said it was amazing. I'm always skeptical about white people travel reviews though. They have different experiences travelling. Raving about Europe and all that while all I had to tolerate was racism in Europe.

HK brethrens what's it really like?, Thinking about maybe working there and cashing in if if the States don't work out for me.

Been going to Hong Kong on almost a yearly basis since I was young. Tourism wise, it's in my top 5 in Asia, but living wise, it'd probably be #1 or #2 IF I can ever adjust to that humidity and heat. In November, it's like 18-20 degrees C and people are wearing thick down jackets, so that gives you an idea of what type of weather they usually experience :lol: I most recently went in August, and I was sweating at 9 AM just from standing outside

But it'd be the easiest country in Asia to transition to if you don't speak Mandarin/Cantonese, since obviously everyone speaks English there. Lots of douchey English and Australian tourists come through, but the ones that actually live there are civilized.

Infrastructure, cleanliness, behavior of the locals, nightlife, etc. makes anything in the US feel 4th World status.

A HUGE con would be living costs though. Unless you're in finance, banking, accounting, or engineering, don't even bother, cause you won't be able to afford it. Or you might have to live in a micro apartment where your toilet is right next to your bed (not even exaggerating). HK and Singapore are usually ranked the #1 and #2 most expensive places to live in the world every year

Been going to Hong Kong on almost a yearly basis since I was young. Tourism wise, it's in my top 5 in Asia, but living wise, it'd probably be #1 or #2 IF I can ever adjust to that humidity and heat. In November, it's like 18-20 degrees C and people are wearing thick down jackets, so that gives you an idea of what type of weather they usually experience :lol: I most recently went in August, and I was sweating at 9 AM just from standing outside

But it'd be the easiest country in Asia to transition to if you don't speak Mandarin/Cantonese, since obviously everyone speaks English there. Lots of douchey English and Australian tourists come through, but the ones that actually live there are civilized.

Infrastructure, cleanliness, behavior of the locals, nightlife, etc. makes anything in the US feel 4th World status.

A HUGE con would be living costs though. Unless you're in finance, banking, accounting, or engineering, don't even bother, cause you won't be able to afford it. Or you might have to live in a micro apartment where your toilet is right next to your bed (not even exaggerating)
Thanks for the insight, super helpful.

I'm a Data Scientist and speak fluent English and Mandarin. Sounds like I won't have too much trouble adjusting? Even though I'm Asian I've always been opposed to living in a country where it's 90% one ethnicity as most Asian countries are as I like diversity, but seems like HK is the exeption.

Thanks for the insight, super helpful.

I'm a Data Scientist and speak fluent English and Mandarin. Sounds like I won't have too much trouble adjusting? Even though I'm Asian I've always been opposed to living in a country where it's 90% one ethnicity as most Asian countries are as I like diversity, but seems like HK is the exeption.

Yeah, you should be fine. Hong Kong is diverse for Asian standards, which is one of the reasons it's in my top places to live along with Singapore. Most of the foreigners are English, Australians, and Indians, along with some Indonesians,Filipinos, and Vietnamese.

I was actually working on making the move there a couple years ago but had to put it on hold indefinitely cause my dad got sick. Otherwise I would've moved with zero regrets.

Another "con" I forgot to mention...in recent years the Chinese government has been low key taking away Hong Kong's "independent" status. By that I mean, HK was legally considered part of China before, but they always acted independent of China and promoted free speech/an open society, which is why they've been so successful. Recently though, the government is being slowly taken over by loyalists to China, and people are seeing freedom of speech/press violations that usually don't exist outside of the mainland. Just a thing to think about if that's really important to you.

Work culture is more demanding and cost of living is more expensive.

You probably wouldn't like it.

It's cooler to visit.

The Weeknd is there now, check him and Lamar's ig

The work culture in East Asia is the reason why so many of them move to the US. The most common thing I hear from my Chinese, Korean, Japanese friends is that "Yeah, it's boring and grimey here compared to back home, but at least we have a good work life balance". It's a trade-off you have to consider.

For me, I'm used to working long hours due to my position, and I only like traveling within Asia anyway (I make exceptions for Spain and Portugal), so I wouldn't mind the move at all.

Last edited:
I guess it depends. I was with fams so a bunch of Asians with cameras = rude Chinese tourists to a lot of locals.

It's always funny hearing Westerners @#$@$ about "rude Asian tourists with cameras", while they go to Asian countries just to get blacked out drunk, destroy their beaches, and humiliate/exploit the locals.

The chinese have built up a reputation as bad tourists. I usually hear about the ones with "new money".

generally speaking, yes mainland chinese tourists are awful.
they've gotten that worldwide rep. the only reason people put up with them is their purchasing power

youtube videos all over tackling that topic

Haven't been to HK in a while.

Most people there speak Canto. Should be ok with English, but that's kinda relative to other Asian countries lol.

Mainland tourists :sick:

My friend works in a lounge at LAX; he says the staff immediately starts to panic whenever a "new money" Chinese or Indian tourist comes through :lol: People from the major cities like Shanghai are pretty well-behaved, from my experience at least. It's similar to the US; they always say "I'm Shanghainese, not Chinese" the same way we say "I'm Californian, not American" :lol:

Aren't Americans the most hated tourists globally? It was a recent artice

I'm in hong kong right now and lived in North America my whole life. The biggest con so far is the living area is too small. I do like the architecture and the weather though. Transportation system is nice

My cantonese is at a basic level, I have the native tongue but my vocabulary is so limited as well as being illiterate I'm having difficulty socializing

I've been here for a day and it's nice to not be treated different because I'm Asian

I'm in hong kong right now and lived in North America my whole life. The biggest con so far is the living area is too small. I do like the architecture and the weather though. Transportation system is nice

My cantonese is at a basic level, I have the native tongue but my vocabulary is so limited as well as being illiterate I'm having difficulty socializing

I've been here for a day and it's nice to not be treated different because I'm Asian

I know Americans have the worst reputation, but in my experience English and Australian tourists are far worse. There's people similar to them here, but those Americans are usually too "America is the best!" or too broke to travel, so most of the world is spared from them.

English tourists have been creating chaos in Southern Europe for years. Every time I visit my family there, there's always riots being caused by drunk English sports fans. When they get their @#$ beat by police, they run back to England and call us uncivilized and racist towards English.

Meanwhile Australians have literally made countries like Philippines and Thailand close their beaches in order to save them. Boracay Beach was pretty much destroyed from all the trash, piss, and vomit they were leaving all over the beach.

As someone who lived in Australia for a few years, it's almost a rite of passage to be an Australian to go to Thailand and Bali and get piss drunk and disrespect the locals.

I've been wanting to go to Australia and act a fool. Last vacation I was on, I definitely annoyed waitresses and strippers. Was in the private area and the mean stripper tried to break my jaw.

Good opportunity to learn more Cantonese. I'm sure you can find people to chill with that speak English. Hit up LKF yet?

Also horrible movie but have y'all seen that movie with that guy from How to make it in America and Jamie Chung?

Already Tomorrow in Hong Kong

Back
Top Bottom