Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Just skimmed through the last few posts but didn't see this point: model minority myth also exists to disparage other minority/immigrant groups. i.e.: "x group was able to make it in America and thrive y group needs to stop complaining and get to work" stuff.

Also there's some divide and conquer going on there. "Asians" are never included as a minority group with "Blacks and Mexicans"

Also there's some divide and conquer going on there. "Asians" are never included as a minority group with "Blacks and Mexicans"

I can see that. For us Asians, all we have to remember is what minority means and remember we are one because we're definitely not part of the majority.

I can see that. For us Asians, all we have to remember is what minority means and remember we are one because we're definitely not part of the majority.
White folks and even some Asian folks themselves wouldn't consider Asians a minority anymore because XYZ statistic of Asians making more $ than everyone else.

But making money has nothing to do with being a minority

Exactly, but people actually think this way.

More $$$ = the color of my skin is a non-factor + I will be treated equally

pretty much. the idea is that making more money = more successful aka "made it"

and then other minority groups who collectively dont make the same amount of money, well if asians did it you can too aka "get off welfare and get a job"

as a bonus, its generally ok to be racist/ignorant towards asians because hey, they "made it" theyre well off they wont complain they have no right to complain etc

thats how you get all the whitewashing in movies (dragon ball, aloha, all the damn movies in the 50s) and the tv show "mail order bride" that recently got approved and then canned when they realized how stupid and offensive it was

I live in a city where asians are the majority

Yet all suits and management in the financial district are mostly white

Last edited:
I didn't like the original FOX video. I don't like this response either.

Something about it rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited:
I seen't it

Comes down to ultimately Asians aren't intimidating/respected and ignorant people will do what they think they can get away with.

Last edited:

Cringe lines from these blatant folks

"Go back to [X country]" is hilarious to me because I was born here in America -- they just mad because we're covertly winning

laugh.gif

Last edited:
Anyone familiar with Queen Liliuokalani and the Overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii? Learned about this in class yesterday. Really interesting stuff, but also extremely infuriating.

Take the time to watch this if you can:

Anyone get closer to their culture the older they get?

I'm becoming more and more swayed towards wanting to keep my culture alive, perhaps marry a chick who's also my ethnicity, and eventually pass the culture to my kids.

Last edited:
I was thinking about it but don't want to put in much effort. Will def try to get back into learning how to speak the language. I still remember enough to understand when people speak to me. Need to watch my dad cook some dishes since I like his food more than other people's.

I'm not Japanese, but watching a Japanese reality show on netflix has me wanting to settle down with a cute Japanese girl.

I'm becoming more and more swayed towards wanting to keep my culture alive, perhaps marry a chick who's also my ethnicity, and eventually pass the culture to my kids.
Nope, I am far from it. Being married to a white woman has made me super Americanized. I mean, I would go out with my friends to eat at Chinatown every once in a while, but she doesn't really like Asian food and doesn't want to decorate the house with anything Chinese related. I doubt I'm going to teach my kids the language, either.

I pretty much lost my culture aside from the times I hang out at my parents' house once a week or so.

Last edited:
To preface my comment above, I'm in no means "fluent" in my culture.

Although I can't speak the language fluently, I can understand 95% of what's said in convo. When I was younger and more rebellious, I kinda rejected it all, but I've grown to accept and love my background/culture and am proud of it. I also can't really escape my last name (it's a direct tell of my ethnicity).

I'm probably just brainstorming here, but it feels cool to be in tune with my culture/language/traditions, especially when my racial group is not a big one in America.

Nope, I am far from it. Being married to a white woman has made me super Americanized. I mean, I would go out with my friends to eat at Chinatown every once in a while, but she doesn't really like Asian food and doesn't want to decorate the house with anything Chinese related.
I can understand this. I feel like this often happens in serious interracial relationships/marriages and it's something that I'm kinda weary about.

To be fair, my girl is Italian, but really makes an effort to learn my culture and vice versa.

I think @Derrtay would have some insight on this too.

Last edited:
Nope, I am far from it. Being married to a white woman has made me super Americanized. I mean, I would go out with my friends to eat at Chinatown every once in a while, but she doesn't really like Asian food and doesn't want to decorate the house with anything Chinese related. I doubt I'm going to teach my kids the language, either.

I pretty much lost my culture aside from the times I hang out at my parents' house once a week or so.
dont let her do u like that bruh. It's a part of you. School her on some cultural identity.

I will never lose my sense of culture, even if I am far from what my parents are. They came here as refugees. They sacrificed their future on their motherland for us. We may be a different generation, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't teach our kids our culture. It makes up too much of my identity for me to forget about it. The struggles, racism, relationships, family, lifestyle, etc.

As I got older I did have more appreciation for my culture. I took a handful of ASA (Asian American Studies) classes in college, and I'll be damned if I thought I knew a lot about my country's history before that. I learned stories I didn't even get from my parents. I was part of an Asian-themed dorm, some communities/clubs, and an Asian interest fraternity which introduced me to even more cultures from my peers, and also realized everyone truly has a story of their own.

I think I will marry an Asian chick one day and I'll try to teach my (future) kids Vietnamese even though mine is bad lol

Last edited:
I'm only attracted to Asian girls for the most part :lol:
Although some Latinas can get it :evil:

And do you Mr Dink Mr Dink , it's your life how you want to live it.

For me I can't separate myself from my Chinese roots even though my Mandarin is trash and Cantonese is barely passable. But the food and culture I can never let go of.

Last edited:

Yes. Definitely yes.

When I was younger I hated going back to Taiwan and taking Chinese classes.

Now I love going back and wish I stuck with those classes.

My Mandarin is decent, but I really wish I could read it.

Btw, finishing up a paper on Asian males and hegemonic masculinity right now.

Anyone familiar with Queen Liliuokalani and the Overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii? Learned about this in class yesterday. Really interesting stuff, but also extremely infuriating.

Take the time to watch this if you can:
what class you taking where you're learning this? 
nerd.gif

what class you taking where you're learning this? :nerd:

Intro to Global Asian Studies.

Class blows my mind every week. Talked about the Cold War today and the military conquests all over the world by numerous countries like the U.S., Soviet Union, China, Britain, etc.

There were over 2,000 total nuclear test bombings on colonized lands that belonged to each of these countries, respectively. Look at what happened to the Northern Marshall Islands:

A historical timeline of these nuclear test bombings:

yeah, they been sending the load of Marshallese people out here to Hawaii since the 90's

Back
Top Bottom