Asian Culture Discussion Thread

I have 2 Supreme goretex fitteds but those fit weird. I'll just wear my Mets hats for now.

thst aren't the stars of the movie, Andy Lau is. This is a Chinese movie made by a Chinese studio, Chinese Director, and most the cast is Chinese and are actuallly the main characters of the movie. Matt Damon is just heavily promoted in the west to appeal to Chinese audiences, and while a major character he is by no means the most important.

If anything the movie spend three hours trying to tell you how incredible Chinese military is and how long it has been. They cast Matt Damon as a way to get more people outside of Asia to see the movie, since it's the most expensive Chinese movie to date
I see, so this isn't another "white savior" movie?

Oh for sure, matty will be smashing da lead asian actress.
laugh.gif

You cant blame anyone but themselves for refusing or being ashamed to learn their own language. Its a mental and attitude thing.

Even if tagalog isnt spoken or used anymore dont yall think thats kind of a silly excuse? My language is very tribal and non prevalent but thats not stopping me teaching my kids my language.

No.

Americans reinforced white supremacy through colonial education. They taught Filipinos English and denounced tagalog. There have been long term ramifications for this. It's one of the reasons why first generation Asian-Americans don't know their native language.

thst aren't the stars of the movie, Andy Lau is. This is a Chinese movie made by a Chinese studio, Chinese Director, and most the cast is Chinese and are actuallly the main characters of the movie. Matt Damon is just heavily promoted in the west to appeal to Chinese audiences, and while a major character he is by no means the most important.

If anything the movie spend three hours trying to tell you how incredible Chinese military is and how long it has been. They cast Matt Damon as a way to get more people outside of Asia to see the movie, since it's the most expensive Chinese movie to date

Why not cast an Asian superstar instead of Matt Damon then? And why should we have to appeal to white folks?

Cause they want that American box office money

Andy Lau ain't putting middle America in those seats

Last edited:
Only Asian Actor that can even draw any ppl at all in the American Market is Jackie Chan

ive never really noticed until recently that Southeast asians, polynesians, micronesians, madagascar/malagsy, taiwanese aborigines were under the Austronesian umbrella

ive looked up across the many cultures and tons of words are the same, counting especially is pretty much universal along with myths and traditions

why arent they categorized together though? they generally look the same and the biggest difference is somewhere along the way polynesians evolved to be humongous

its crazy how far the distance the original austronesians traveled though from taiwan stretching all the way to hawaii and madagascar

View media item 2311714

Last edited:
What? What cosign? They put a well known American actor in it so maybe people in the West would be like oh I like matt damon maybe i'll check it out. If more people watch it because of that then it's a win for the studio. Do you complain when marvel puts an Asian person in a role so that it'll have more people in Asian countries watch it?

Think about all the best movies from Asian cinema

How much numbers you think they did in the US?

I support Asians putting s white guy in a movie to extract white people of their money

What I don't support is white people making asian movies to make a dollar off our culture

IE last samurai

Think about all the best movies from Asian cinema

How much numbers you think they did in the US?

I support Asians putting s white guy in a movie to extract white people of their money

What I don't support is white people making asian movies to make a dollar off our culture

IE last samurai
So, I'm in the wrong that I enjoyed Last Samurai? 
frown.gif

last samurai was lit. I liked that movie. Showed the culture change that was going on and awesome samurai armor.

Its hard to break Asian Actors into the american Market.  Rain from Korea was a superstar in Asia and tried to conquer American Market and failed big with Ninja Assassin.  He should've got with Megan Fox when she pretty much went on tv and said she wanted it. 

Off the top these the only Asian actors I could think of

1116-GQ-FASU04-01-Modern%20Tweed%20Suits-04.jpg

gq-features-090109-GQfeature17h.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom