AT&T Wireless retail sales job...anyone have any advice/experience?

This thread has me wanting to apply to att and verizon when I graduate in the spring. If they offer tuition reimbursement too then it's perfect since I want to go to grad school.

ricky, if you don't mind me asking but why are you only doing part-time? are you in-between jobs, college student? its hard out here looking for a career so i was thinking about maybe doing part-time as a sales rep while keep looking.

Kudos to Ricky for the insight

I use to work in Human Resources at Corporate HQ for one of AT&Ts competitors, and my job was to hire retail sales reps. As mentioned, it can be a good foot in the door job and lucrative considering the entry point (i.e. don't need tons of experience or minimum educational requirements). Turnover/attrition is always very high, so don't go in thinking you'll coast. It's highly competitive and our sales managers were always tasked with monitoring monthly performance numbers and "managing out" employees who were towards the bottom.
I advise working at a location where you get along with the manager and staff more than anything else. Your manager can provide protection when the monthly/quarterly reduction in work force happens.
Also, if you're looking to land this job, go directly to the retail location and speak with the manager about it. Don't just rely on blindly applying online. When we would post a retail sales opening, the typical response is a 200+ applications daily. Considering it's somewhat entry level, you can imagine candidates are coming anywhere from Nanny jobs to MBA grads, which makes standing out very difficult. For everyone involved, it was much more effective if the local hiring manager had his/her own handpicked referrals ready to start.

good luck all

I worked for Tmobile and Verizon but its all the same stuff.

1. NEVER get comfortable, wireless is always changing, and yea cats are making 45-70k but when the company sees cats eating too good they WILL change the commission on you.
2. if you are under 25 you probably never made as much money as you will be making so word of advice. Use you hourly checks to pay bills and live with and put your commission into a savings account trust me.
3. Little tax hustle, thye will tax your commission like 40% so literally in 6-8 months you would have paid more taxes than you needed, so I usually say on your 3-4 biggest commission checks go tax exempt.
4. Being that ATT uses sim cards, get a good client base and have your boys bring in customers, reason I say this is because when I had customers who were dead broke or had big deposits I use to slang em my old phones and just activate the sim card in store.
5. Schedule sucks, I was making so much money but didnt have time to enjoy it so I ended up copping dumb stuff.
6. Go in with a mission yea you can make a ton of money (there were cats in my region at VZW making 6 figures as sales reps) but the market is OD saturated so dont think everyone is tryna buy stuff in a day you may have 15-20 customers and only 3-5 may be trying to upgrade/new lines, so there are times where you go through a drought with customers.

Wireless is prob the best Retail job you can have since you learn stuff and deal with stuff that really effect peoples lives, but def not a career thing, more so a foot in the door.

ricky, if you don't mind me asking but why are you only doing part-time? are you in-between jobs, college student? its hard out here looking for a career so i was thinking about maybe doing part-time as a sales rep while keep looking.
nope... i chose to go part time cuz a few reasons.

1. i'm in grad school... my classes are three days a week. as a part timer, i can set which days and what times i work MON-FRI... cant do that as a full timer.
2. i make about $3.2k a month AFTER taxes... here in Texas, that'll get you pretty far. all my bills are paid without a worry, with money left over for a rainy day.
3. most likely next summer... i'm going to get an internship... i'm gonna be bustin crazy, 70 hour work weeks (40 from my internship, 30 from ATT) but as stated in reason one, i can work whenver... as long as a get to 25 hours per week.
4. i work every weekend... sounds kinda lame, but that's where all the money is. i'm off at 7:30 on saturday, 6:30 on sunday... plenty of time to come home, get fly, go out, and get on yambs.

the job is the best paying part time job... i know a few older cats that do other jobs that dont requre you to be in an office from 9 to 5 everyday...

this one older cat does real estate... he does it in the morning, then comes in the evening where its the busiest.... Dude is ROLLING in dough...

i'm not counting his pockets... but i think he's pulling in $150k+... 40 from ATT, and $100 from real estate...

i was actually hired on at Verizon, but turned it down cuz it was full time and i wasnt ready for that committment...

Verizon has better benefits, but they're much more stringent on sales. you can get fired over there pretty easy if you're not doing your thing.

their tuition reimbursement starts from day one if you're a full timer..

ATT and verizon both get EMO discounts, which is 50% of your personal line... i'm about to cop my momb dukes a phone, and its just gonna be $50 a month for what people normally pay $100 for (cant let go of my tmobile plan... 5gb, unlimited text, 1k min for $70.. :pimp:)

i HIGHLY recommend this job for anyone in between jobs, or in college, or just looking for something stable if you dont have a lot of experience...

but be careful... all the old heads tell me that its EASY to get sucked in... once you start getting those raises, the ambition to do other things wears off and you become content w/ that 60K a year, dope benefits, and free cell phone.

Back
Top Bottom