AZ. Representative shot among others

According to MSNBC, the gunman ran into a 'crowded area' and began 'firing indiscriminately'.

Giffords was apparently talking to a couple when the suspect ran up and shot her at point blank range. According to other witnesses, he was tackled by a bystander and taken into custody.

Jason Pekau, a Sprint employee who works near Safeway, told CNN: 'I see two bodies laying on the sidewalk in front of the Safeway.'

Three emergency evacuation helicopters were sent to the scene.

Giffords has been a congresswoman for Arizona since January 3, 2007.

She was previously a legislator for the Arizona House of Representatives from 2001 to 2003.

The 40-year-old politician, who has worked for Price Waterhouse in New York, has been married to U.S. Navy Captain and astronaut Mark E Kelly since 2007.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/...000005DC-151_468x328.jpg[/font]

According to MSNBC, the gunman ran into a 'crowded area' and began 'firing indiscriminately'.

Giffords was apparently talking to a couple when the suspect ran up and shot her at point blank range. According to other witnesses, he was tackled by a bystander and taken into custody.

Jason Pekau, a Sprint employee who works near Safeway, told CNN: 'I see two bodies laying on the sidewalk in front of the Safeway.'

Three emergency evacuation helicopters were sent to the scene.

Giffords has been a congresswoman for Arizona since January 3, 2007.

She was previously a legislator for the Arizona House of Representatives from 2001 to 2003.

The 40-year-old politician, who has worked for Price Waterhouse in New York, has been married to U.S. Navy Captain and astronaut Mark E Kelly since 2007.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/...000005DC-151_468x328.jpg[/font]

30t6p3b.gif

(CNN) -- At least 12 people were shot at a Tucson grocery store on Saturday, and U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was among them, a Democratic party source told CNN.

Giffords, 40, was holding a constituent meeting at the grocery store when the shooting occurred, according to a schedule posted on her website.

CNN could not confirm conditions for Giffords or any of the others wounded, but the Tuscon Citizen newspaper was reporting that Giffords was shot in the head.

The Democratic source described the situation as "pretty serious,"

The shooting occurred at a Safeway shortly after 10 a.m. MST, according to sheriff's spokesman Deputy Jason Ogan.
Several shot at Tuscon grocery store

Pictures from the scene showed a Giffords banner hanging from the storefront.

At least two victims with gunshot wounds were transported at Northwest Medical Center, according to spokesman Richard Parker.

"They've been coming in the last 10 minutes. I'm not sure of the severity of their injuries," he said.

Ogan said he did not have conditions on any of the wounded and said the motive for the shooting is unclear.

"We're just trying to sort this out right now," he said.

An employee of a nearby business, Jason Pekau, told CNN that he heard "15 to 20 gunshots."

Giffords, a Democrat, was first elected in 2006. She has served as chairwoman of the House Space and Aeronautics Subcommittee and also holds seats on the House Science and Technology and Armed Services committees.

CNN's Dana Bash and Nick Valencia contributed to this report.

(CNN) -- At least 12 people were shot at a Tucson grocery store on Saturday, and U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was among them, a Democratic party source told CNN.

Giffords, 40, was holding a constituent meeting at the grocery store when the shooting occurred, according to a schedule posted on her website.

CNN could not confirm conditions for Giffords or any of the others wounded, but the Tuscon Citizen newspaper was reporting that Giffords was shot in the head.

The Democratic source described the situation as "pretty serious,"

The shooting occurred at a Safeway shortly after 10 a.m. MST, according to sheriff's spokesman Deputy Jason Ogan.
Several shot at Tuscon grocery store

Pictures from the scene showed a Giffords banner hanging from the storefront.

At least two victims with gunshot wounds were transported at Northwest Medical Center, according to spokesman Richard Parker.

"They've been coming in the last 10 minutes. I'm not sure of the severity of their injuries," he said.

Ogan said he did not have conditions on any of the wounded and said the motive for the shooting is unclear.

"We're just trying to sort this out right now," he said.

An employee of a nearby business, Jason Pekau, told CNN that he heard "15 to 20 gunshots."

Giffords, a Democrat, was first elected in 2006. She has served as chairwoman of the House Space and Aeronautics Subcommittee and also holds seats on the House Science and Technology and Armed Services committees.

CNN's Dana Bash and Nick Valencia contributed to this report.

Looks like she's in critical condition.

[+]
I wonder if this attack was politically motivated.

Back
Top Bottom