Best Borough to Live in NYC

Dog, do not move to Jersey - and this is coming from someone who grew up in Jersey, lived in Staten Island for 4 years, went to grad school in Queens and lives in Flatbush. The commute will not be worth it, INTO Park slope? No way, not unless your job is paying for housing and they're dictating your living there.

When you have the opportunity to live in BK or even Queens where the commute could be much easier depending on the neighborhood you choose, that's definitely the way to go.

Man, moving to NY would be mad overwhelming haha.
Word. Sounds like OP bout to be in the hood
Cheap rent and easy parking? That's exactly what OP is asking for 
laugh.gif

Dog, do not move to Jersey - and this is coming from someone who grew up in Jersey, lived in Staten Island for 4 years, went to grad school in Queens and lives in Flatbush. The commute will not be worth it, INTO Park slope? No way, not unless your job is paying for housing and they're dictating your living there.

When you have the opportunity to live in BK or even Queens where the commute could be much easier depending on the neighborhood you choose, that's definitely the way to go.

Yeah I'd say Queens makes the most sense

My job is relocating me to NYC in August. I look forward to moving to NYC but don't look forward to spending an arm and a leg for rent. Where can I find affordable rent in NYC or the NYC retro area? My budget is $1000-$1650 a month for rent.. I could spend more but I prefer not to go over $1600 a month. I also want something where I can park a car without having to worry about looking for parking or having to constantly move my car. Any suggestions from my NY nters?
look for rent stabilized (you won't be able to find 'rent controlled' buildings in this day and age) apts in any of the outerboro (Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island). Through HPD (NYC city housing agency) you can find affordable apts, but the best bet is to explorer neighborhoods and if you like the hood (ie: commute to your job, noise level, etc) then check out the local real estate company which will have local options. Rent stabilizes assures your rent will increase along a modest tracking (no more than 3% for the year)....while the free market can see landlords offering a cheap/incentivized terms with a huge jump with the renewal contract. If you have a friend in the city have them proxy for any place you are interested in as they can take unfiltered pics and have a NYC perspective if it's worth it. Lastly, look and see if there are any alumni in the area as you might be able to parlay a good temp situation until you can get your footing and find your spot. Boro wise: Queens is very family centric but have some hot spots (Astoria, Long Island City, Jackson Heights), Staten Island is for the quiet and those of the suburban mindset (St. George, stick close to the ferry hoods), Bronx has a strong working class sensibilty....and of course there's Brooklyn (south of Eastern Parkway is cheaper than North of EP hoods) and Manhattan (you'll get more space uptown -- washington heights inwood central harlem -- but downtown might be a better option as its more accessible). 

OP you buggin out B
1600 budget in NYC
AND you wanna bring a whip?
Good luck. Meter Maids gonna have their way with you on the daily basis.

But to help you out. Manhattan is out of the question. You gonna be working in BK so the BRONX is def out the question...unless you wanna be stuck in traffic for over an hour...or if you decide to take the MTA to work and get wild parking tickets while you at work and your car is at home..

Queens might be your best bet. You can get a studio apartment in Lefrak City for $1490. And it's close to a mall too

http://www.lefrakcity.com/no-fee-apts-rent-queens-nyc/

What what

Last edited:
OP .... sell .... the....whip. Alt side of the street parking will get you inevitably and once that happens the city will make you her *itch. Also remember you will put out costs to cross bridges in the city

@FlyNY .... lefrak city [emoji]128529[/emoji]

OP .... sell .... the....whip. Alt side of the street parking will get you inevitably and once that happens the city will make you her *itch. Also remember you will put out costs to cross bridges in the city

@FlyNY .... lefrak city [emoji]128529[/emoji]

What's wrong with Lefrak? It's not how it was in the 90s...not much to worry about over there nowadays.

OP...check out Lefrak City or Rochdale Village. Rochdale got a waiting list so you may wanna act on that quick

Clinton Hill. You can find a place sub 1500. Won't be the Ritz, but you'll be in a nice spot.

I'm prob gonna be working in the Bronx now, best place to stay if I'm working in the Bronx?

Bruh idk if dude was joking or not but I went to HS right on Baychester and that area is not whats good. :lol:

If you're going to be living in one of the boroughs, don't even consider bringing a whip. Unless it's a car that you don't care for. Just take trains and ubers. It'll be much less stressful.

My girl lives in Queens and I park at a nearby hospital In their employee parking lot whenever I drive over to her place. I DO NOT trust anyone here when it comes to my car.

-Drew

Back
Top Bottom