Best hooper from your city to never make it. Include story

Yea I told my dude Mike Thompson
Freshman at Northwestern about staying in the city but OKState aint the same type of school.

martell bailey...dude was supposed to come in at notre dame OVER that lightskinned bum whose name i dont feel like saying. last i heard martell is slangin themthangs on the westside

Why you have to mention the package got me intrested, I done heard some bad things about them packages.
Northside fiends aint ready

But my dude said son was a hole lot better than Thomas or Quinn and would Start before either one of them.

Like straight up there is so much basketball telent out there that doesnt get discovered or gets with the wrong people or just doesnt have respect for anythingbut ball.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

I came in here to say Ben Wilson
tired.gif

From Buffalo, NY my cousin Richie Campbell. He's a legend in that city, he stop going to school after his sr season so all the majors left him alone and the #1 juco still gave him a ride. He came home early, got high and ended up killing this lady on a bus
smh.gif
tired.gif

To this day the old heads talk about how he use to just torture people on the court from everywhere. Damn shame
smh.gif

legend naw b never even heard of dude

Damn...I forgot the guy's name but he usually plays at Cal's rec. He used to be on the same level as Jay Kidd and Baron Davis. He was all american buthe got into some trouble and that's why he never made it to the NBA. He's also a well-known streetballer as well but you couldn't even tell becausewhen you see him play, nothing but fundamentals. He plays like a true pointguar! He usually plays with Leon Powe's mentor. Oh Yeah...the guy is fromOakland (I think) but plays at Berkeley.

Originally Posted by LilJRDN

Damn...I forgot the guy's name but he usually plays at Cal's rec. He used to be on the same level as Jay Kidd and Baron Davis. He was all american but he got into some trouble and that's why he never made it to the NBA. He's also a well-known streetballer as well but you couldn't even tell because when you see him play, nothing but fundamentals. He plays like a true pointguar! He usually plays with Leon Powe's mentor. Oh Yeah...the guy is from Oakland (I think) but plays at Berkeley.
Hook Mitchell, close thread, get your google on if you dont know

^^ THANK YOU! I went through the whole day trying to remember his name. I'm honored to say that I've played with this man and he has amazing skills. Iplayed a few pick-up games with him and he controls the whole game with such ease and doesn't even try! He tries to get everyone involve at first but whenno one is stepping up, he can take over a game without hesitation. Every one respects him on the court and he's a cool cat. Whenever I made a mistake, henever took it to the heart but instead gave me insightful tips on how to become better. There are some cool / great players playing at Cal's rec...

roll.gif

deangelo collins went to my HS, but he graduated before i got there.

The McDonald's All-Americans just three years removed from pleading guilty to felony assault and serving six months in juvenile hall. As a freshman at Tustin High, Collins inflicted permanent head injuries and a fractured nose that required surgery when he beat up a teammate.

roll.gif

Originally Posted by Joe McKnight Is BALLIN

schea cotton

first time i saw him play as a hs freshman at mater dei dude drove by his guy baseline then yammed it on the center and i was like whoa. was featured on sports illustrated as a hs freshman. guy had crazy hype and was a celebrity in hs. was going to ucla with baron but couldnt qualify and later ended up in bama. would have never thought he would never make it in the league.

Antoine Hubbard from Allentown PA.

He was a 5' 10" point guard that went to New Mexico St. in the mid 90's. He was NBA bound but prior to his senior season got caught up in acheating scandal, then got kicked out out of school for beating up his girlfriend. Prior to that he led the then Big West Conference in assists while averaging14 points his junior year. After comming come he picked up an alcohol, drug, and jail habit. My man used to come to the court high and drunk wearing some allblack low top air force one's untied with no socks, a hoody with the hood up, and would still be making cats look silly on the court. Damn shame.

There are some more who are currentlly close to blowing there shot so I will keep the off the list for now...

It was hard to believe that King High School in Chicago in the mid 90s fielded the two best center prospects in the country, Rashard Griffith and ThomasHamilton, and neither of them made any real impact in the NBA.

Originally Posted by Jules300

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

I came in here to say Ben Wilson
tired.gif

From Buffalo, NY my cousin Richie Campbell. He's a legend in that city, he stop going to school after his sr season so all the majors left him alone and the #1 juco still gave him a ride. He came home early, got high and ended up killing this lady on a bus
smh.gif
tired.gif

To this day the old heads talk about how he use to just torture people on the court from everywhere. Damn shame
smh.gif

legend naw b never even heard of dude
WHAT???? I'm not tryna play you but, How old are you? Go to your local rec and ask an old head about Richie, its a good chance you won't evenhave to say his last name... He's one of only a few players to ever score 30 at Glens, I think Lazarrus did it a few yrs ago for traditional as well.Richie Campbell, he was that deal.

there's a ton of ppl like that in PG. go to the And 1 run-n-shoot in Forestville and I guarantee you'll bump into a few.

how about joe forte ... ... ... ... just from my school who didnt make it i remember watching him and bogans LIGHT IT UP during high school and dude just neverpanned out in the league ... Bogans still goin strong though
there's a ton of ppl like that in PG. go to the And 1 run-n-shoot in Forestville and I guarantee you'll bump into a few

be careful my man ... a lot of people you think are good up run n shoot cant hack it in a college or pro setting, thats why they up run n shoot ballin ... whatyou gotta realize is, you can be a straight monster on the court runnin, but when you actually have to d up or run a play, you fail at life ... i know a rackof people up from school who were monsters, but didnt have the head for it

If we talkin about DMV, Joe Forte should not be mentioned at all...he ain't the best hooper from the city not to make it...he was a 1st round pick in theNBA, and got burn....it's his own damn fault that he is playing overseas, instead of at the least riding the bench somewhere on a NBA roster....

my vote...
Curt "Trouble" Smith

From SLAM (GREAT READ!!!)

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When the freestyle battleground on the blacktop is nothing but a scene on a mixtape, Curt Smith will still be out there ballin'. And isn't that really what it's all about?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WORDS: BEN OSBORNE :: IMAGES: MICHAEL SCHREIBER[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The sun has set on the Berry Farms projects in Anacostia, the historic and infamous sliver of Washington, DC, just across the river from Capitol Hill. Most of the shorties have gone to bed, while the sound of sirens indicate most of the hustlers have just gone to work. As for those who make basketball their hustle, many are heading home after a scorching day on the blacktop, but not all. For DC hoop lifer Curt Smith, the end of a game is simply the beginning of getting to talk about it.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Another rough game out there, but that's street ball, man. Ain't no complaining," says Smith, sipping some Remy and kicking back on the Berry Farms bleachers. "You might've thought that was a lot of people out here today, but usually it be jam-packed with people. I guess not everybody was trying to sit out here in 100 degrees, but I had to be out here. Summer basketball is my thing."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[table][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
curt1.jpg
[/font][/td] [/tr][/table][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The unique city of Washington, DC -- not the politician-and-tourist-infested nation's capital part, but the real DC -- is home to go-go music, the timeless high socks look, more independent clothing companies than you can count and a funky array of ballers worshipped by fans who don't give a damn about their status elsewhere. Following a legacy created years ago by guys like Elgin Baylor, Dave Bing and Ollie Johnson, DC-area pros such as Sherman Douglas, Joe Forte, Steve Francis, Moochie Norris and Walt Williams get props, but the true love is given to the ones who haven't made it to TNT. And of this crew -- a group that includes Lonnie "L Train" Harrell, Greg Jones, Victor Page, Sheik "The Freak" Pearson and Earl "Pep" Tyson -- none get more adulation than Smith, aka "Trouble" on the court and "Bone" off it.[/font][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The thing is that Curt has been killing from 1987 until 2002," begins Curtis Chambers, longtime fan and supporter of DC ball as the owner of All Daz Clothing Company. "Just straight killing. Every year they'll be, like, a new dude come on the scene and they'll be like, 'He got the crossover,' or this or that, and, 'He gonna get Curt.' Then time will come for the big summer league games, and Curt will finish with like 50 on that dude. Curt takes it personal if he knows someone is supposed to get him. So Curt will give the dude 50, and then the dude's confidence level will go down and he'll just be a normal dude."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]During the game that just ended, a late-season battle in the Berry Farms Goodman League between Curt's squad (MR's Great
glasses.gif
and the Holie Hole Mob, Curt showed what makes him the man without having to do anything spectacular. Aided in an ill three-guard attack by George Washington's Chris Monroe (the top returning scorer in the Atlantic 10) and Virginia Tech's Brian Chase, the 8 were in control throughout against the undermanned Mob. For the most part, Curt ran the show and distributed the rock, but whenever the 8 needed a bucket, he'd deliver.A 5-10, 195-pound point guard, Smith gets his buckets in workmanlike fashion. Sometimes he'll go in the post and outmuscle his defender for position, then catch the entry pass and back in for the layup. More often, he'll get in the lane and deliver a teardrop -- often off the window -- that would make Mark Jackson proud. Goodman League commish Miles Rawls, who goes as Snapper Jonez when he's rocking the mic, said it all as he called one second-half play. "Trouble Smith backing in, turning, off the glass. Patented."
[/font]

curt2.jpg
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In the end, the 31-year-old Smith played the whole game, totaling about 20 points, 7 boards and 5 assists as the Great 8 locked up a playoff berth. The fans, many of whom lined the court in lounge chairs with beer/cup holders, were indeed a bit subdued in the heat, but they managed to hoot and holler every time Curt did something special with the ball. Clearly, Curt's rep as the king of DC ball is soundly intact. "I've given it to everybody in this city," he states. "When I'm not the man anymore, I'll quit. But as long as I can do my thing, I'll be out here."[/font][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One of the Holie Holes, Jeff Arnold, chimes in at this point. "Curt Smith brings out the best in you every time," begins Arnold in poetic fashion. "He play big, extremely big. I seen him do it against Steve and Moochie, take them in the block and get his shot off with ease. The man play like he's 6-1 and with a heart that make him 7-2. Yes he do. He can do it. This is the neighborhood, the heart of the ghetto, and everybody here knows what Curt can do. He brings respect to the court and they come to watch him play and give him respect."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Being the king of a city without a multimillion-dollar contract to verify that you've made it big somewhere else wouldn't be worth a whole lot to many players.But as his Chocolate City friends and opponents make crystal clear, Curt is a different breed of baller.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Curt grew up in Watts Branch, a neighborhood tucked in the far reaches of Northeast Washington that makes up for the requisite inner-city crime with plenty of communal love. Curt was not only exposed to sports on the street, but more directly in his own family. "My father [Charles] was in the service, so he never played ball for nobody real, but he was always playing around the city," Curt explains. "And my uncle on my mom's side, Fatty Taylor, grew up in Watts also, and he made it to the League [Roland "Fatty" Taylor averaged 8.6 ppg in seven ABA seasons and played one year in the NBA -- Ed.]. You ask the old heads in this city, they all know about my father and uncle."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All the heads know about Trouble's brother, too. Three years Curt's senior, Charles Smith was the wily point guard who John Thompson recruited to Georgetown in the mid '80s. Even post-Patrick Ewing, Georgetown was bad-*** in those days, and Charles Smith was DC basketball royalty. "It was pressure for me, since everything I did was always explained like, 'Charles Smith's little brother…'" Curt says. "But if anything, it made me work harder. I saw the things that he was doing and I wanted to do them also."[/font]

curt3.jpg
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Curt also had a good friend with the younger-brother complex, and it was a guy who would, unfortunately, turn out to be a big part of Curt's link to the tragic side of life. "Me and Jay Bias was always real good friends, and from age 12 on, he was going through the same thing as me," Curt tells. "He was hearing what his brother could do, and I was hearing what Charles could do. We liked it, though. We'd talk about how things were gonna be when our brothers got to the League."Of course, the Bias family's dream ended when Len died after the '86 NBA Draft, sending the DC basketball community into what Curt remembers as "complete shock, a shutdown." Curt and Jay Bias stayed close in the difficult aftermath, and Jay was even looked upon as someone who could carry Len's torch on a lower level, but he too suffered a tragic end. Jay was shot to death in 1990 after an argument at a local shopping mall. "When that happened, I was hurt all over again," Curt recalls. "That's why I stay out of trouble. I got my homies and that's it."[/font][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Curt didn't let these tragedies slow his devotion to the sport. He was a year-round baller through high school, playing AAU ball for a team called Slam N Jam alongside the likes of Grant Hill and George Lynch, summer ball at the Urban Coalition and Kenner League tournaments and in the winter for Coolidge High. "Charles had gone to Catholic school and that's where my mom started me, too," says Curt. "But that wasn't my atmosphere. So I ended up at Coolidge and played for them my last two years of high school."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In 1989, Charles was DC's college star and Curt its biggest prep star, with younger bro earning city POY honors after averaging 25 points, 8 assists and 5 steals, then leading the local team to victory over the US team in the Capital Classic by outplaying Kenny Anderson. Colleges should have been desperate to sign Curt, but all the balling and hanging with the homies had come at a price-Curt wasn't exactly the city's top student. Even though he chilled and stayed away from the organized scene for two years while his brother played with the Celtics, Curt never disappeared from summer ball, and since he had a rule of never turning down a game, his local rep only grew.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Every neighborhood I'd go into, people would test me and I'd have to play them, and that attitude was a huge help for me and anyone who plays ball here...Then there were the pros. Probably my first summer matchup against a big-time pro was back then, against Muggsy [Bogues]," Curt says with a wide grin. "Muggsy from Baltimore, and that's our big rival. I always watched him and he would just turn it out. Knowing I was going to play him, my buddies was getting on me, like, 'You know you can't even get the ball past halfcourt on Muggsy.' So I'm waiting in the gym at Dunbar, and he walks in with his entourage of Baltimore guys, his little*@%% right in the middle of the pack. I stepped out with my team, and I went at him. Back then I was pretty quick -- not as quick as him, but quick -- and I hit a jumper over him, took him in the post a couple of times. I ended up with 53 that night. On Muggsy."[/font]

Back
Top Bottom