Best Master's Degree's vol. Older NT heads

The most helpful masters in the short run is probably something related to petroleum extraction and after that a top 10 MBA is the best. I got my MS in Econ at UCLA primarily to shut up the financial grandees at my firm, who disliked the notion that "a kid" was authoring the economic predictions.

If careerism is your only concern, get a top ten MBA and/or a petro extraction MA/MS. If serious scholarship is your concern, at least try to pursue a PhD in your field of interest, you will get paid to think. 

BTW, a JD is NOT a masters program. a Juris Doctor makes one a doctor of laws. Lawyers refrain from calling each other doctor because in Medieval England, there were so few lawyers that they choose to address each other informally.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

MBA from top 5 business school> all

lock thread.

MBA from school below T30 = piece of paper.

Does this apply for both part and full times? Cause the rankings are different for each

Originally Posted by Antidope

lock thread.

Does this apply for both part and full times? Cause the rankings are different for each
For part-time rankings, use USNews.  BusinessWeek's Part-time rankings are horrible.  The top part-time schools also have top full-time programs.  Not every school has a part-time program, so that's why certain programs(Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT) are missing.

http://grad-schools.usnew...hools/part-time-rankings

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

I'm looking to supplement my B.S. in molecular biology with an M.B.A

why not get a PhD in Bio or biomedical engineering, what do you plan on doing with he MBA?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by eplaya06

lock thread.

For part-time rankings, use USNews.  BusinessWeek's Part-time rankings are horrible.  The top part-time schools also have top full-time programs.  Not every school has a part-time program, so that's why certain programs(Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT) are missing.

Do you have access to the rest of the list?

Entirely depends on your field. "Best Master's" is about as ambiguous as asking what the "Best Career" is. What works for you may not work for someone else.

MBA's:

If it's not from an M7 school, your post-grad prospects aren't all that bright. If you go to below 10, you're really making it hard for yourself to break into a top "White Shoe" firm. That's where the absurd bonuses and great salaries (along with pretty terrible hours) are.

JD's:

Wayyyyyyyyy to many of them on the market. If it's a top-5 school then great, but below that it's increasingly turning into a very expensive sheet of paper. The payoff compared to other industries isn't that great either.

MD's

Always in demand because of the limited supply. You'll get stable well-paying work REGARDLESS of the tier of school you end up in. It's wayyyy too much school for me though. By the time you're bringing in over $100K, you're like 27... Analysts on Wall-Street and Consultants are making that at 21... although they have less job security.

General Master's Programs:

Ehhh... pretty useless IMO

Master's in Engineering/CS

Can definitely open doors. Engineers and CS folks are always in demand, and have a much easier time landing gigs than general liberal arts people. Entirely depends though. They pay will be decent, but for the difficulty that the programs require... I personally would venture elsewhere.

Specialized Master's (Architecture, Hospitality, Etc.)

- Not really in a place to comment as I haven't really researched the fields, but I believe you had to have done undergrad in the area in order to master in it.

I'll be heading to a MBA program in 2015. It's M7 or bust, to be honest... Strengthening the resume now and getting work experience that would make me an attractive candidate. You really have to be strategic with it.

Originally Posted by impalaballa187

Entirely depends on your field. "Best Master's" is about as ambiguous as asking what the "Best Career" is. What works for you may not work for someone else.

MBA's:

If it's not from an M7 school, your post-grad prospects aren't all that bright. If you go to below 10, you're really making it hard for yourself to break into a top "White Shoe" firm. That's where the absurd bonuses and great salaries (along with pretty terrible hours) are.

JD's:

Wayyyyyyyyy to many of them on the market. If it's a top-5 school then great, but below that it's increasingly turning into a very expensive sheet of paper. The payoff compared to other industries isn't that great either.

MD's

Always in demand because of the limited supply. You'll get stable well-paying work REGARDLESS of the tier of school you end up in. It's wayyyy too much school for me though. By the time you're bringing in over $100K, you're like 27... Analysts on Wall-Street and Consultants are making that at 21... although they have less job security.

Can definitely open doors. Engineers and CS folks are always in demand, and have a much easier time landing gigs than general liberal arts people. Entirely depends though. They pay will be decent, but for the difficulty that the programs require... I personally would venture elsewhere.

- Not really in a place to comment as I haven't really researched the fields, but I believe you had to have done undergrad in the area in order to master in it.

I'll be heading to a MBA program in 2015. It's M7 or bust, to be honest... Strengthening the resume now and getting work experience that would make me an attractive candidate. You really have to be strategic with it.
Not true about the JD. The top 25 law schools' graduates mostly always start off in six figures and have prime picks for judicial clerkships, which are good for loan forgiveness and equals an automatic 50 grand pay-bump when you do go into the private sector. Hell, even if you graduate from a top 75 school and do decently well in your class, not even top, you can make 80 grand out of school if you're located in a city. The pay-off is there, you just have to do well in school and at least go to a top 75 school. 

Have you guys seen the price of grad school??????

NO WAY for me that is INSTANT debt, I am a IT major and luckily IT grad degrees dont really exist but wow I feel bad for some of yall

Originally Posted by cristobal

MBA's:

JD's:

MD's

Not true about the JD. The top 25 law schools' graduates mostly always start off in six figures and have prime picks for judicial clerkships, which are good for loan forgiveness and equals an automatic 50 grand pay-bump when you do go into the private sector. Hell, even if you graduate from a top 75 school and do decently well in your class, not even top, you can make 80 grand out of school if you're located in a city. The pay-off is there, you just have to do well in school and at least go to a top 75 school. 

Agree. Top-5 is being much too conservative, any law school in the top-15 will make you great money. The University of Michigan's 2010 law graduates had a post-graduation employment rate of 98.6 percent 
sick.gif

Also, what are you doing to beef up your resume? What are your career aspirations? I'm just curious, I'm thinking of going either the MBA or JD route.

Originally Posted by bruce negro

MBA's:

JD's:

MD's

Agree. Top-5 is being much too conservative, any law school in the top-15 will make you great money. The University of Michigan's 2010 law graduates had a post-graduation employment rate of 98.6 percent 
sick.gif

Also, what are you doing to beef up your resume? What are your career aspirations? I'm just curious, I'm thinking of going either the MBA or JD route.
I just finished my first semester as a 1L at iupui (top 75 school), and tbh, there are so many networking opportunities and internships open to JD students if you just do decently well. This summer I'm going on a study abroad internship to China to intern at a Chinese law firm, receive school credit, and beef up my resume. I'll also have an internship at the Indiana state house when I get back from that. Also joining clubs and groups, such as the bar association for your particular state, if you're ethnically diverse, joining clubs that cater to you . . . you'd be amazed at how much that can help out. JD's really are worth it if you go to the right school, do decently well, and participate and utilize everything your school has to offer! 

JD programs are extremely overpopulated due to the recession and there are many, many, many young people coming out with law degrees without the ability to gain full-time work in law firms as lawyers. Don't necessary believe that crap about 98.6% post-graduation employment rate. Many schools blatantly lie about their employment statistics, even at the best colleges. I think Georgetown was recently busted for lying about their post-graduation employment rate for JDs.

Hence, why you have to go to a good school where you plan to practice, do well, and take advantage of all the networking and resume building opportunities that your school has to offer. Yeah, a lot of these pay to receive your JD schools that aren't even ranked are churning out graduates that can't find a Job. Like anything, you still have to work hard to do well and utilize the correct route and channels.

Hence, why you have to go to a good school where you plan to practice, do well, and take advantage of all the networking and resume building opportunities that your school has to offer. Yeah, a lot of these pay to receive your JD schools that aren't even ranked are churning out graduates that can't find a Job. Like anything, you still have to work hard to do well and utilize the correct route and channels.

Originally Posted by bruce negro

MBA's:

JD's:

MD's

sick.gif

I'm working with a non-profit now, and I've done 2 "pre-mba" type programs at top10 schools. Also in the process of interviewing for internships with MBB. Figure if I do 2 years with the non-profit, and 2 years with a management consulting firm I should be good for M7. MBB has nearly 100% placement into those schools. Just gotta spin your story and figure out what angle you want to attack.

Ok, hopefully someone can give me some advice. I'm currently a freshman in college and getting all my basics out of the way while I'm searching for what I would like to do with my life. Well, I know what I want to do but I know that what I WANT to do might not pan out so well so I'm looking for more of a backup plan. So my question is this, how much does it matter what your undergrad major is when applying to law schools? Like for example would an art major have less of a chance of getting into a good law school than say a business major?

Originally Posted by fredo777

Ok, hopefully someone can give me some advice. I'm currently a freshman in college and getting all my basics out of the way while I'm searching for what I would like to do with my life. Well, I know what I want to do but I know that what I WANT to do might not pan out so well so I'm looking for more of a backup plan. So my question is this, how much does it matter what your undergrad major is when applying to law schools? Like for example would an art major have less of a chance of getting into a good law school than say a business major?
Only thing that matters is GPA and LSAT.  Certain majors get more leeway when it comes to gpa though(engineering, hard sciences, etc.).

Originally Posted by THE ANOMOLIE

Allied Health. Im an Occupational Therapist, a great profession.
Word?!?!  I graduate in December from OT school.  Where are you practicing and what setting?

lock thread.

a part-time MBA = piece of paper.

Goodluck getting a job at McKinsey, GE, or Google, or Goldman Sachs with a part-time MBA

Your better off not going back to school if you can not go full time.

Think about the opporutnity cost of lost income and how much money you stand to make with an executive "MBA" vs. a real MBA.

a part-time MBA = piece of paper.

Goodluck getting a job at McKinsey, GE, or Google, or Goldman Sachs with a part-time MBA

Your better off not going back to school if you can not go full time.

Think about the opporutnity cost of lost income and how much money you stand to make with an executive "MBA" vs. a real MBA.
I went to a career fair last week and was told by Georgia Tech Reps that a full time MBA and part time MBA get you the same degree. So if you were to complete the program in two years how would they know?

Just got into Yale for my MBA and am waiting to hear back from Tuck (Dartmouth) ... I am a career changer, trying to go into IB, I know how hard it is so this is just the beginning. IF you do not go somewhere where the BIG names in your industry of choice recruit, you may as well not even go.

Ps, any Yale/Tuck alumni, hit me up.

Originally Posted by Coolidge Effect

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Same thing here.
I want to go to Vandy so bad to get my MBA but they don't have Information Systems. So I was thinking maybe get it in Management. No idea how well those two will play together, get my Bachelors in MIS and a MBA in business management.
What do you guys think?

I'm doing my MBA right now and I feel like all my management courses are a waste of time teaching you common sense on how to manage people. But, my concentration is in Finance, so my opinion may be biased.
laugh.gif
 Both of my parents got their MBA's from Kelley SoB (IU), and my dad says it was such a waste of time and that he's got a collection of like 5-10 books that taught him as much as he learned in his time there. 
I'm an Econ. major, and I'm thinking if I don't get a really good internship for this summer I'm either going to go directly to grad. school or Peace Corps and going to grad. school for extremely cheap/free.

Originally Posted by CMBWHODI

Just got into Yale for my MBA and am waiting to hear back from Tuck (Dartmouth) ... I am a career changer, trying to go into IB, I know how hard it is so this is just the beginning. IF you do not go somewhere where the BIG names in your industry of choice recruit, you may as well not even go.

Ps, any Yale/Tuck alumni, hit me up.
props
pimp.gif

Finishing up a bachelors in econ, and looking to apply to law school. But law is not really where my interest are at; I'm more into finance. How can I break into the finance industry out of law school?

Back
Top Bottom