Big L: What could have been? Vol. 15th ANNIVERSARY OF HIS DEATH

Extremely underrated, and often gets lost in the history of hip hop. Man what could have been if he lived, and he had time to run with Roc-a-fella (Dash was working on signing him about a week before he died).

Stretch & Bobbito '95 Freestyle

I actually think he's sort of like Dilla and is overrated in his death.

and this is coming from someone who had Lifestyles the day it came out and listened to it so much it put people on to it...listened to Show & AG, Finesse and OC

He was a continuation of Big Daddy Kane and Lord Finesse, but didn't have the versatility and cross over appeal Mase had...so I think he would have been in a lane.

It took more in the 90's to be a stand out rapper than lyrics, heck McGruff could and still can rap.

He probably would have ended up getting with Cam and Jimmy and got highlighted that way.

RIP Lamont Coleman, 139 & Lennox

Last edited:
I actually think he's sort of like Dilla and is overrated in his death.

and this is coming from someone who had Lifestyles the day it came out and listened to it so much it put people on to it...listened to Show & AG, Finesse and OC

He was a continuation of Big Daddy Kane and Lord Finesse, but didn't have the versatility and cross over appeal Mase had...so I think he would have been in a lane.

It took more in the 90's to be a stand out rapper than lyrics, heck McGruff could and still can rap.

He probably would have ended up getting with Cam and Jimmy and got highlighted that way.

RIP Lamont Coleman, 139 & Lennox
I agree with all of this except the suggestion that Dilla is overrated.

But that's neither here nor there. L meant so much to me growing up. First time I truly listened  to lyrics and respected the artistic genius of telling a story through rap. 

RIP to a legend. 

i remember reading the XXL article dedicated to him...

...pretty sure it was 00-01.

i had just bought the BIG PICTURE album.

...put it in my sony walkman....rest is history....i was a fan for life.

then i read this article about how they wanted to sign him to the ROC...

...sadly....he got murdered after.

BIG L...1 of the best i've ever heard.

SO MANY QUOTABLES...THIS DEF DON'T DO HIM JUSTICE BUT WHO EVER DOESN'T KNOW WOULD GET AN IDEA.

Last edited:
His punchlines were CRAZY. I think about the battle scene today and how OG punch line guys like him really made that happen. He was really talking that **** on every song.

This is one of my favorite straight punchline joints L did

Probably would've had a nice run on the level of something like Mase or Pun had he not died.

Great rapper with the multis and punchlines, as well as a thought provoking message in his music.

i remember reading the XXL article dedicated to him...

...pretty sure it was 00-01.

i had just bought the BIG PICTURE album.

...put it in my sony walkman....rest is history....i was a fan for life.

then i read this article about how they wanted to sign him to the ROC...

...sadly....he got murdered after.

BIG L...1 of the best i've ever heard.

SO MANY QUOTABLES...THIS DEF DON'T DO HIM JUSTICE BUT WHO EVER DOESN'T KNOW WOULD GET AN IDEA.
sup

There's a wild bar in that video near the middle ...

A very talented mc with one very good album that released while he was alive but had potential to be so much more, RIP

Back
Top Bottom