Black Culture Discussion Thread

Yo anyone see the Jordan Peele movie "Get Out"? Such a dope movie. It really breaks down how deep white supremacy can be. It should be recommended viewing.... :wow:

Yo anyone see the Jordan Peele movie "Get Out"? Such a dope movie. It really breaks down how deep white supremacy can be. It should be recommended viewing.... :wow:

Caught the midnight show last night In Brooklyn. Hands down the most fun I've ever had in a movie. Great movie.

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/238410026-story

Sentencing for the crowd that rode around S.C. with Confederate flags and pointed gums at children during a birthday party.

Not too long after the Charleston church shooting.

Was searching for this. This is fantastic, bravo to the judge, you rarely get to see it work out this way. Antagonize people still grieving from what happened in their city at a child's birthday party? man, spare me the tears.

wasnt in sc that was in ga 

C5w5x2JVAAE1Yu_.jpg

Georgia couple sentenced after storming an 8-year -old birthday party in racist rampage

https://t.co/jma4btHZaZ

16-year-old is the first black student to build a nuclear fusor
C6gnsprXAAcXRJy.jpg
I'm not the brightest bulb but nuclear technology is quite ancient and has zero use in today's world when water wind and the sun can create energy without the side effects of fallout and preventive measures used to contain such chemicals...

Props to him though...

1x1.trans.gif
1x1.trans.gif
Morehouse Professor Dr. Tobe Johnson Retires after Nearly 60 Years at College
After 59 years of serving the Morehouse College academic community, Dr. Tobe Johnson is hanging up his syllabus for retirement.

Johnson attended Morehouse at just 16, and that was the beginning of a nearly 60-year-long relationship with the school.

After graduating in 1954, he left Morehouse and joined the military and served for four years in Japan before he came back to finish out his schooling and get his bachelor’s degree there. Because of segregation, it was hard for him to pursue a higher education than that, but he was able to get a stipend from the state of Alabama to attend Columbia University before returning to Morehouse, where it all began.

One of Dr. Johnson’s most famous students was the first black mayor of Atlanta, the late Maynard Jackson. Now, after spending his career teaching political science at Morehouse, Johnson is ready for retirement.

He plans to fish and vacation in either Alaska or Europe, though the draw of Morehouse must just be too much to keep away, because he would also consider teaching political science part-time even after retirement!
tobe-johnson-morehouse.jpg

http://thegrio.com/2017/03/10/tobe-...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

So many lost brothers and sisters choosing a fictional character of 2 prolific black men smh 

that ishh gets me tight man, many of times I am arguing against Cesare Borgia (who happen to be the painting of this Christ figure)

Please family stay woke and stop falling for the okie doke that is religion 

Last edited:
So many lost brothers and sisters choosing a fictional character of 2 prolific black men smh 

that ishh gets me tight man, many of times I am arguing against Cesare Borgia (who happen to be the painting of this Christ figure)

Please family stay woke and stop falling for the okie doke that is religion 

Thing that gets me tight is my parents are so deep into it man :smh: Went to a catholic jr high, christian HS and they been involved in the church since i can remember. My wife recently got promoted for her job and was unsure if she should take it(she didn't know the full details of it at the time) she told my mom about it, and my mom was like "pray about it, he's all knowing, blah blah blah" the entire time i was like :stoneface:

I'm really scared me and my parents gonna have a falling out over this, it's been a minute since my mom started talking up god and church and since she been diagnosed with Breast cancer(she's cancer free now) she brings it up even more

I had a great aunt who died when she was like 104, but she was still coherent and I'd talk to her alot just pick her brain about how it was back then(she died in the early 90's) her parents were slaves and on the cusp of civil war so she was that great source on real ish, I was so big on learning black history(still am) and she would always be like "Jesus is Lord, blah blah blah" and even though I'm like 12 or 13 I'm thinking how in the hell can you believe all that??

Thing that gets me tight is my parents are so deep into it man
mean.gif
Went to a catholic jr high, christian HS and they been involved in the church since i can remember. My wife recently got promoted for her job and was unsure if she should take it(she didn't know the full details of it at the time) she told my mom about it, and my mom was like "pray about it, he's all knowing, blah blah blah" the entire time i was like
indifferent.gif

I'm really scared me and my parents gonna have a falling out over this, it's been a minute since my mom started talking up god and church and since she been diagnosed with Breast cancer(she's cancer free now) she brings it up even more

I had a great aunt who died when she was like 104, but she was still coherent and I'd talk to her alot just pick her brain about how it was back then(she died in the early 90's) her parents were slaves and on the cusp of civil war so she was that great source on real ish, I was so big on learning black history(still am) and she would always be like "Jesus is Lord, blah blah blah" and even though I'm like 12 or 13 I'm thinking how in the hell can you believe all that??
Best advice I can give you homie is know when to get on and off the train with certain people. One thing I did that helped was make common connections in african spirituality in comparison to the Christian narrative so I could find a middle ground. On a more grand scale we all have our own path, even if we don't agree with the path of those closest to us, and we know it's often a product of slavery, people magnetize to certain paths for certain reasons. Just like you wouldn't want no one to throw you off on your current path, you gotta respect them and let their consciousness unfold to see the truth for themselves. 

Thing that gets me tight is my parents are so deep into it man
mean.gif
Went to a catholic jr high, christian HS and they been involved in the church since i can remember. My wife recently got promoted for her job and was unsure if she should take it(she didn't know the full details of it at the time) she told my mom about it, and my mom was like "pray about it, he's all knowing, blah blah blah" the entire time i was like
indifferent.gif

As a religious person, you need to feel comfortable tellin' your parents how you feel. It comes with the territory of being an adult. Mom and Dad have to learn that you don't believe what they believe and unfortunately it may not go over as well but they will know who you actually are and not some character they have created.

I understand and respect the "fear" of opening up to them because who wants to not get along with their parents, but also you want them to respect you and your beliefs.

I'll pass on discussing how real my religion is to me, I just don't care for the online conversations.

Thing that gets me tight is my parents are so deep into it man :smh: Went to a catholic jr high, christian HS and they been involved in the church since i can remember. My wife recently got promoted for her job and was unsure if she should take it(she didn't know the full details of it at the time) she told my mom about it, and my mom was like "pray about it, he's all knowing, blah blah blah" the entire time i was like :stoneface:

If your aunt and her parents experienced the things your saying (slavery, extreme oppression etc.) it makes sense. Those were some of the most destitute times where people had nothing to lean on. Imagine being in their shoes instead of thinking from your own experiences. They couldn't just go out and support themselves the way we can. While I agree I find some religious people to be very closed minded, this approach might help you find some common ground.

Last edited:

As a religious person, you need to feel comfortable tellin' your parents how you feel. It comes with the territory of being an adult. Mom and Dad have to learn that you don't believe what they believe and unfortunately it may not go over as well but they will know who you actually are and not some character they have created.

I understand and respect the "fear" of opening up to them because who wants to not get along with their parents, but also you want them to respect you and your beliefs.

I'll pass on discussing how real my religion is to me, I just don't care for the online conversations.

Back
Top Bottom