Black students fleeing Mizzou

As someone who attended a HBCU I would highly advise against going to one. The detriments far outweigh the benefits as it stands today.

To me a college simply a means to find you a job and HBCUs do a very poor job of that compared to a lot of other schools,for a lot of reasons not all their own doing but even still why would you put your money towards something that has a lower payoff option than another school. All costs equal I'm not taking the HBCU over another school.

The " black experience" isn't worth 40k a year and a handicap in the job search market.

If you want to go to medical school, I would highly recommend checking out Xavier University in New Orleans...

http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf/2015/09/xavier_university_black_doctor.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/13/magazine/a-prescription-for-more-black-doctors.html?_r=0

As someone who attended a HBCU I would highly advise against going to one. The detriments far outweigh the benefits as it stands today.

To me a college simply a means to find you a job and HBCUs do a very poor job of that compared to a lot of other schools,for a lot of reasons not all their own doing but even still why would you put your money towards something that has a lower payoff option than another school. All costs equal I'm not taking the HBCU over another school.

The " black experience" isn't worth 40k a year and a handicap in the job search market.
The people I know who've graduated from HBCUs haven't had issues getting jobs. A degree doesn't guarantee you a job.
Who said it did. But it sure does help and if I'm going to school to try and get a job why would I go somewhere that hinders that goal?

The firm recruitment efforts at Hbcus pale in comparison to what happens elsewhere.

Last edited:
The people I know who've graduated from HBCUs haven't had issues getting jobs. A degree doesn't guarantee you a job.
lol exactly, I had a job at graduation and little to no debt. Dudes have a bad experience and think they can speak for everyone.

define average white guy. Is there an average black guy? Average Asian guy?

So because on average most Asian people in the U.S. are of Chinese decent, Japanese, south East Asians, etc are not as Asian as a Chinese person..?

Are Haitians not as black as "average" black people?

Trying to understand the logic here
So is an African from Nigeria the same as an Black American? Or a Haitian the same as a black dude from Chicago? Black people are not monolithic we come from different places and too have different cultures and ethnicities. A white Mexican is different from a white american because of their cultural differences.

Who said it did. But it sure does help and if I'm going to school to try and get a job why would I go somewhere that hinders that goal?

The firm recruitment efforts at Hbcus pale in comparison to what happens elsewhere.
it depend on your field. One can't sleep on the HBCU network either I know many people who have gotten great jobs because of a fellow HBCU alum looking out for them.

Black is black.

The African diaspora is very real and as soon as we know and understand who we are the closer we will be to actually uniting and making life better for us all.

The very fact that people believe somehow that black people in the u.s. are more black than a black person from another country is so sad and shows how broken we are mentally.

We don't even know who we are.

Black is black.

The African diaspora is very real and as soon as we know and understand who we are the closer we will be to actually uniting and making life better for us all.

The very fact that people believe somehow that black people in the u.s. are more black than a black person from another country is so sad and shows how broken we are mentally.

We don't even know who we are.
Black peoples are not monolithic though. We have different ethnicities in the Black race. Saying we're all the same is undermining our different ethnic backgrounds.

Understand that we were shipped off to various areas of the Americas to build nations. We were broken apart so that we could not communicate with one another so that they could break us mentally, physically and emotionally. Spiritually.

We were taken from our continent and split up.

So no. I don't see a difference.

Haitian, African, Afro-Cuban, Afro- Dominican etc. cultures are different than African-American culture. We're not all the same. We all face oppression but we're not all the same.

it depend on your field. One can't sleep on the HBCU network either I know many people who have gotten great jobs because of a fellow HBCU alum looking out for them.
The name draw is pretty much all Hbcus are good for. You meet a black person who's enamored by the fact that you went to an hbcu and then looks you out.

Don't get me wrong that's a nice benefit, but it's still not worth all the drawbacks.

Like how is a schools annual achievement a homecoming? A homecoming that lasts ten days. Hbcus are as equal part social oriented as they are academically oriented and that is a problem. This is supposed to be a school.

Understand that we were shipped off to various areas of the Americas to build nations. We were broken apart so that we could not communicate with one another so that they could break us mentally, physically and emotionally. Spiritually.

We were taken from our continent and split up.

So no. I don't see a difference.
Exactly we were colonized in diff places which makes are cultures different. Go to African and say you're the same but can't speak the language and see what happens.

There are Igbo and Yoruba, etc. people living in the u.s. Living in dr, Brazil, etc and you're going to tell me that white men splitting us up and owning us makes each of us different? FOH.

Na I can't rock with that. Thinking we are different is some mental bondage type stuff. It's something they want us to do. White supremacy is a very real thing and it's got us real ignorant to who we are as a people.

The name draw is pretty much all Hbcus are good for. You meet a black person who's enamored by the fact that you went to an hbcu and then looks you out.

Don't get me wrong that's a nice benefit, but it's still not worth all the drawbacks.

Like how is a schools annual achievement a homecoming? A homecoming that lasts ten days. Hbcus are as equal part social oriented as they are academically oriented and that is a problem. This is supposed to be a school.
Howard produces the most Black doctors in this country. Many HBCUs have law schools, PhD programs, pharmacy schools etc.

The point was to divide us so that they could conquer us and ppl want to play right into that. Na not me.

African diaspora. Google it and start there. We have so many similarities across nations because we are the same people. We can all trace direct ties to specific parts of west and central Africa but we are different because the white man says we are? Na.

Where are the pics or videos of these racist white mobs? Where are the pics of the poop swastika that set all of this off?

The point was to divide us so that they could conquer us and ppl want to play right into that. Na not me.

African diaspora. Google it and start there. We have so many similarities across nations because we are the same people. We can all trace direct ties to specific parts of west and central Africa but we are different because the white man says we are? Na.
So a dude who lived in Brooklyn his whole life is the same as a dude who lived in Kenya his whole life????

This is true, the African diaspora is the most diverse group on the planet culturally even genetically. You'd be surprised how vastly different ethnic groups in the mainland are genetically. There's something like a 200+ languages and ethnic groups in Nigeria alone.
Yes black people are not monolithic.

Where are the pics or videos of these racist white mobs? Where are the pics of the poop swastika that set all of this off?
Why don't you ask the folks who investigated that incident? Why are you asking us.

Exactly we were colonized in diff places which makes are cultures different. Go to African and say you're the same but can't speak the language and see what happens.
There are Africans who will happily accept black Americans and help get them started living over there because they know.

The black man is African. Period. Any so called differences are a result of white people colonizing and/or enslaving. Fact. And even through differences their are still blatant similarities whether it be pronunciation, words used in various languages having direct ties to whatever African languages, religious beliefs passed on despite slavery, etc. Etc.

Howard produces the most Black doctors in this country. Many HBCUs have law schools, PhD programs, pharmacy schools etc.
They probably do, but Howard is a giant school in general.

I also never denied that Hbcus have the potential to produce talent, what I said was that they do a poor job of receiving employer recruitment compared to other schools. The career fairs are always smaller, the schools funnel money into as many social events as they do recruitment, and it's just not worth it to me.

I hope you enjoy your experience though I'm not here to convince you that you made a mistake.

So a dude who lived in Brooklyn his whole life is the same as a dude who lived in Kenya his whole life????
With your logic, a black person living in bk his whole life is different than a black person living in Portland his whole life.

Back
Top Bottom