Blu-Ray: What's the difference? How much better than DVD? Is it worth buying?

How much better is Blu-Ray then regular DVDs and if i dont have an HDTV will it even be worth buying Blu-Rays instead of DVD. Also what exactly is thedifference?!

Go to Best Buy or something and peep it.

Blu-Ray...
eek.gif

I want someone to explain to me whats the diffrence between a blu ray player thats 900$ and one thats 200$

i dont think you'll be able to capture the whole quality of blu-ray if you dont have an HDTV

but blu ray quality is
eek.gif

blu ray >>>>>>>> HD DVD >> DVD

Originally Posted by DRjordanlover45

i dont think you'll be able to capture the whole quality of blu-ray if you dont have an HDTV

but blu ray quality is
eek.gif

blu ray >>>>>>>> HD DVD >> DVD

QFT!!!!!

do they even sill HD DVD anyway ?... i thought they got murked by Blu Ray .

you absolutely need an HDTV to get the HD (high definition) resolution that a Blu-Ray player outputs. A regular TV, even early plasma/LCDs only got 480presolution tops, meaning 480 pixels stretched across the screen. Compare that to 720p or even better 1080i or 1080p. where you have more than twice as manypixels meaning you can get smoother edges and higher quality picture. In my spoiled opinion it makes a whole world of difference. Plus a good player willupconvert DVDs so they look better when you play them on Blu-Ray players (some DVDs more than others).

the quality of the TV makes the biggest difference. As long as you use an HDMI cable and a Blu-Ray player that is. Blu-ray is 1080p which means if you get 720or 1080i you're missing something, but it still looks a lot better than an old fashion tv. (the "i" stands for interlaced and the"p" stands for progressive, which is the method in which the pixels are laid out, progressive is a lot better for fast-moving scenes).

$900 Blu-Ray players are dead, just like there were once $900 VCRs and $900 DVD players and $5000 computers. But make sure you get a Blu-Ray player that canplug into the Internet for firmware updates. If Blu-Ray changes the way its disks are read slightly to prevent copying or to improve quality (which is rare butthey already did) then your player may not work as well without the update. Not sure how much if at all it will make a difference. Also some more expensiveplayers may upconvert better.

and yes, HD-DVD is dead

as far as PS3, its what I have and it works great except for the lack of an IR receiver so I can't use my universal remote to control it. it makes the mostsense at this point but I wouldn't frown upon a regular BR player if its a good deal on a good player.

All I know is last night I saw two super Badddd females in a Mercedes with a license plate that said "Blu Ray"

not to threadjack but do PS3's have lower blu-ray quality than an actual blu-ray player ??

I don't think so. I believe the PS3's blu-ray drive is a little better because of the firmware updates.

not to threadjack but do PS3's have lower blu-ray quality than an actual blu-ray player ??
NO. PS3's are actually better than most BR players... they load the movie much faster than most BR players and have just as good videoquality

Originally Posted by pip777

I don't think so. I believe the PS3's blu-ray drive is a little better because of the firmware updates.

Basically. As long as you have HDMI out then you're good, and all Blu Ray players do.

Go back and watch a VHS movie then watch a Blu-Ray disc and that's what your DVD's look like.

Originally Posted by kdwallace

Go back and watch a VHS movie then watch a Blu-Ray disc and that's what your DVD's look like.
Or he could just watch a dvd then watch a bd. And hddvd= Blu ray in terms of quality, don't think cuz it died it was trash.

Damn, have you been living under a rock? You never frequent electronic stores? The quality of a blu-ray disc is astronomical, in contrast to a dvd.

Once you go high-def...................you wont leave it. I have The Godfather Collection on Blu-Ray.................
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

Originally Posted by kdwallace

Or he could just watch a dvd then watch a bd. And hddvd= Blu ray in terms of quality, don't think cuz it died it was trash.

HD-DVD was only 1080i vs Blu's 1080p. It also held a lot less data on each disk. Relatively speaking, it was trash.

^ no such thing as 720i. it has only ever been broadcast in progressive. There was 480i but 480p was the common resolution

also 1080i obviously has a better picture resolution than 720p but its debated which is "better"
the general consensus is that 720p would be better for fast moving programs found on ESPN while 1080i would be better for slow, still programs like on thediscovery channel or something like that. At a certain tv size/distance ratio the resolution is almost indistinguishable anyway.

PS3 is actually voted the best BluRay player on the market by CNN Market

The quality difference from DVD to Blue Ray isn't as substantial as people say. It's not like VHS to DVD.

True. The guys who installed my hdtv on my wall (
pimp.gif
) told me to returnmy blu ray player since the ps3 has better quality.

I mean yeah its way clearer but nothing thats like "
eek.gif
"

I personally dont care

and whenever I go to blockbuster they dont have any movies in blu ray only like 15
smh.gif

Originally Posted by realtalkitsDC

How much better is Blu-Ray then regular DVDs and if i dont have an HDTV will it even be worth buying Blu-Rays instead of DVD. Also what exactly is the difference?!

1. there is a big difference, hell there is a difference just upconverting dvd players on a hdtv with regular dvds. an blu ray is much better than that.
2. NOT worth it at all. you need an HDTV.

Back
Top Bottom