Boardwalk Empire Season 5 Thread - Series Finale - Eldorado

I wish I didn't know about the Tommy connection before the finale. Kind of took the shock factor away.

I wanted to see Knuck retire from crime, but you can't be a halfway gangster.

Sucks to see what happened to Gillian at the end.

Margaret won me over this season.

I would definitely watch a Commission series.

I spent 5 years with this show and I'm sad to see it end. All good things must come to an end.

I believe the inside man is Will Thompson. Maranzano's murder was stemmed by his kidnapping. Will also knows his vulnerability and if and whenever at Luciano's request, Will can be snatched again. Essentially Will is in Luciano's debt now and any vital DA information pertaining to his organization will be filtered through Luciano.

This scene is very akin to the younger hand-off version.
4pF4cr0.jpg

LbH6Rq0.png

Eldorado is a poem by Edgar Allan Poe. From Wiki:
The poem describes the journey of a "gallant knight" in search of the legendary El Dorado. The knight spends much of his life on this quest. In his old age, he finally meets a "pilgrim shadow" who points the way through "the Valley of Shadow". It was first published in the April 21, 1849 issue of the Boston-based The Flag of Our Union.[1]

As mentioned in the episode, the titular is a real building that exists in New York City that overlooks Central Park West. Nuck be movin' on up literally but to the west side.

Eldorado_Building_1.jpg

Last edited:
'Boardwalk Empire' creator Terrence Winter spills secrets behind series finale of Prohibition-era drama

Terence Winter, who created "Boardwalk Empire," says yes, Nucky Thompson paid for his sins as "Boardwalk" finished its five-year run Sunday night.

Actually, Nucky (Steve Buscemi) paid for one specific sin. That was enough to leave him crumpled up and dead on the boardwalk he once ruled.

Fittingly, though, Nucky's death didn't signal a wide sweep by the nets of justice, in which the bad fish were caught and the good fish swam free.

"In life, it's not that simple," says Winter. "Sometimes bad people get away with things and good people suffer. Sometimes crime pays. Sometimes the world is unfair."

That truth won't come as any big revelation to people who have watched HBO's "Boardwalk" from the beginning,

It's also not the show's most unsettling message, Winter suggests.

More unsettling, he says, "You see a little of yourself reflected" in all the horrible things the "Boardwalk" characters have done.

"That's why gangsters are fascinating people," he says. "Most of us wouldn't go as far as they do, but who knows? If I were in Atlantic City in the 1920s, I don't know that I wouldn't have done some bootlegging. Everyone else was.

"Watching gangsters in the movies or on television is like riding a roller coaster. You get a sense of what it might feel like to die without actually dying."

Winter says the "Boardwalk" story finished just about where he originally envisioned, though some of the specific plotlines and characters expanded or contracted as the show went along.

He cites Richard Harrow (Jack Huston) as a character whose original three-episode arc grew into a spot as a regular before he died at the end of season 4.

"As you're writing, you put two characters together and suddenly there's an electricity. You know there's something there, and on HBO you have the freedom to run with it."

The key series-long threads that eventually led to Nucky's death also were partly shaped along the way, Winter says.

Viewers didn't learn until the last minutes of the last episode that as a young sheriff's deputy in 1897, Nucky had handed a 12-year-old runaway orphan named Gillian Darmody over to The Commodore (Dabney Coleman) - knowing exactly what the Commodore, a pedophile, would do to her.

The Commodore ruled Atlantic City at that time and by "recruiting" this girl for him, Nucky won his favor. The Commodore made Nucky sheriff and eventually his successor in the machine that ran the city.

Gillian, who had trusted Nucky when she was desperate and alone, bore an illegitimate son the following year. Jimmy Darmody was a brilliant boy who suffered serious psychological scarring in World War I.

He married and had a child, but turned to the criminal life under the tutelage of Nucky, who had helped raise him. They had a falling-out and Jimmy turned against Nucky. At the end of the second season, Nucky shot and killed him.

Meanwhile, Gillian (Gretchen Mol) led a tortured life, becoming a prostitute, a hustler, an addict, a frustrated grandparent and finally a killer, for which she was put in a mental hospital for life.

Soon after Nucky saw Gillian one final time in the hospital, he was gunned down by Tommy Darmody, Jimmy's teenage son.

"In the end, that decision about Gillian sealed Nucky's fate," says Winter. "But I didn't fully realize the importance of Gillian until Season 2. I didn't realize she'd be the critical turning point in his life, where the decision he made in that one moment destroyed three generation of her family and ultimately his own life as well."

Fate was no kinder to Valentin Narcisse (Jeffrey Wright), who won control of the vice world in Harlem until Lucky Luciano and his emerging crime syndicate decided there was no place for independents.

Narcisse was cut down outside his church.

Al Capone (Stephen Graham) was headed for jail, but with a curious twist. The night before his trial began, he sat down with his deaf son and said, "I did some bad things and I'm in trouble.…I'm going away."

He told his wife to take care of the boy.

"One of the luxuries of a long-running show is you get to dig deeply into the characters," Winter says. "Capone is always portrayed as this big blustering killer, which of course he was, but he also had a home and a family.

"Showing those last scenes with his wife and son before he would go to prison, that made him much more interesting."

The endings were happier for Luciano (Vincent Piazza), who had apparently succeeded in putting together the first "five families" crime syndicate, and for Nucky's long-estranged wife Margaret (Kelly Macdonald).

"Margaret is financially successful," says Winter. "She's in the best place we've seen her in 11 years.

"Of course, she does have a lot of accumulated baggage. I see years of therapy ahead for her, if they had that then."

Eli (Shea Wigham), the brother who followed Nucky down a lot of bad roads, also had a glimmer of hope despite living like a man who wanted to die.

In their last meeting, Nucky gave him a sack of money, a razor and a shaving brush. Nucky told Eli to ask his wife to take him back.

"I think Eli will do that," says Winter. "Of course, you don't know for sure.

"I didn't want to make everything too specific. You want people to wonder a little, give them something to talk about."

Overall, says Winter, he feels like the final eight-episode season was exactly what the creative team needed to wrap up the show.

"We talked it over with HBO," he says, "and the number everyone came back with was eight.

"That gave us time to wrap up the stories and even introduce a couple of new characters. We didn't feel like we had to rush anything. We could keep the rhythm we'd had all along."

One thing that wasn't quite so hard toward the end was the delicate matter of telling primary actors their character was about to get killed off.

"It's never something you like to do," says Winter. "You work with people, you get to like them, and then you have to tell them they're out of a job.

"But you have to be true to the story. I had people tell me they couldn't believe we killed Jimmy Darmody. To me, as a viewer, Nucky had to kill him. If Nucky hadn't, I would have been saying, no, wait, I don't believe that.

"Keeping Jimmy alive at that point, to me, is what a TV series would have done. We wanted this show to be more true to life."

In one odd scene Sunday night, Nucky's last stroll along the boardwalk was interrupted by a shapely blond who tells him to come look at the future.

"Are you in it?" he asks.

"I'm there, but I'm not there," she replies.

He steps into a darkened tent and gets a look at an electronic screen with flickering, ill-focused black-and-white images of a person singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."

Meet television, patient zero.

"I loved that we could get that in," says Winter. "It's a great moment. He's seeing the future and he's not in it."

There were more stories that could have been folded into "Boardwalk," says Winter, but he's happy they weren't.

"I'm from the school of leaving the stage while the audience still wants more," he says. "We've done 56 hours and we didn't want to get in a position where we started repeating ourselves. We had a great five-year run and now it's on to what's next."

Last edited:
I'd say that the end was rather fitting and overlapped well with the flashbacks they've shown us. The whole season build up kind of made me think that Nucky was a gonner but the point that drove it home during the finale was that random woman from the future that showed him TV. Basically showed him that the world's gonna keep on moving without him.

Even though Nucky wasn't really a good man,I couldn't help but feel for him during that shot of his dead eyes 
ohwell.gif
. Pretty damn shocked that the kid actually ended up being Tommy,thought the age difference wouldn't add up.

The scene with Al saying goodbye to his son was touching 
frown.gif
. Narcisse finally got what's coming to him,sad that it wasn't Chalky at the other end of the gun. 

Overall I'm happy that we got a concrete ending that ties up all the loose strings and not another open ended one from HBO. 

I find it funny that the only other characters aside from Lucky/Meyer that got a semblance of a happy ending were Eli and Margaret 
laugh.gif
. Margaret really ended up growing on me from last season onwards,she was straight Skyler from BB status to me until her story with AR. 

Pretty bummed that there won't be anymore Boardwalk now,the show could've lasted 2 more seasons 
tired.gif
. Gotta find a new go to show now before other the good shows start up again next year.

Last edited:
If i had any doubt that was Tommy, the scene at the Ritz nipped that on the bus. His "accent" was a dead give away.

Like how it all came full circle at the end

A lot of you guys are saying you wish you hadn't suspected it was Tommy due to NT or other forums but even if you didn't use these outlets the show made it pretty damn obvious it was him. I didn't want to believe it was him either (as many in here didn't) because it'd be too cliche IMO but whatever. Also you guys saying the age difference doesn't add up but Tommy could have easily lied about his age twice as he already lied about it originally to Mickey. Felt the show could of gone on a bit longer & done w/o the Narcisse story arc but all in all this was a good show. That Capone scene will be one to remember.

On another note... In the beginning of the ep when Nucky is asking about the sheriff job and the school teacher brings the little girls to the commodore to sing a song... I was cringing when he's like "I would like nothing more!"

Also this season puts into greater perspective Gillian's relationship with Leander Whitlock who I believe is the one who hired the detectives to get that murder confession out of her last season, dude was down with that pedo life from the jump then got her put away years later.

That Al Capone scene with his son was amazing. Great to see that side of Al..

And then the look on his face before he stepped out of the car to walk up to the courthouse, priceless.

I guess those that Tommy theory were on point after all.
laugh.gif

I thought dudes were reaching and trying to True Detective-ify this season, looking for things that weren't there, but when Tommy showed up again in the latter part of the finale I was like "Welp. They were right.
laugh.gif
"

All that said, it was executed brilliantly. I know the flashbacks this season have been an issue for some, but they help drove home the point of Nucky's upbringing and the events that led to rise and ultimately his fall. The situation with Gillian was hinted at throughout the series but to see it unfolding first hand was rather jarring.
mean.gif

Gillian already had a messed up life before she met Nucky but he exarcerbated it times infinity, all due to his obsession of trying to get ahead.
tired.gif

Straight scumbag he and The Commodore.  As in the last few pages, the callback to Jimmy getting shot in the cheek by having the same thing happen to Nucky was a nice touch. "Like Father, Like son." and Nucky was the closest thing to a father that Jimmy had.

That scene with Al and his son.
frown.gif

That scene with Luciano forming The Commission.
pimp.gif

Narcisse finally getting what he deserved.
pimp.gif
I like how he had time to take off his hat before he died.

It's amazing seeing how far Margaret has come compared to her first appearance on the show. Her character has done a complete 180. Taking control of her life and asserting herself.

Tommy lucky Kessler offed himself years ago. If he was with Nucky in that last scene, Tommy would've gotten hemmed up with the quickness before he had a chance to get a shot off.
laugh.gif

I'm satisfied with the finale and the season overall, especially given the constraints they had.

Boardwalk was one of my favorite shows

Sidenote: Going through the last few pages and reading @had pants posts, that's the most words I've seen him typed since he's been on NT.
laugh.gif

One thing to note, and if this was mentioned I apologize, was the acknowledgment between Capone and Mike D'Angelo at the courthouse steps.

It was when D'Angelo nods at Capone and Capone almost shows a respectful nod back like "you got me".

Thought it was pretty cool.

I wonder what kind of life Tommy Darmody had with the lady he went to Wisconsin with (Harrow's gf). She never seemed to enthused about the possibility of raising someone else's child by herself. My guess is she told Tommy about his mother's life, Jimmy and Nucky when he got older and he took it upon himself to go to AC

Eh, worst season of the series. Too compacted for my tastes and too many sour endings.

Nuck's end should've been with him dancing with Margaret. A lot of what his end turned out to be reminded me of Harrow's end, hope to reconcile and be with Margaret and the kids living in the city only for it to all fall apart. Mainly cuz they really decided in this final season to push home what he did to Gillian. Also signs os Eli in young Nuck being dissatisfied with the Commodore. Thematically they wrapped up that ending nicely but overall it's still bull ****. Nuck should've bum rushed the second he raised the gun. Get em quick at the least he only gets shot once. What happened to all that quick ducking and dodging and running he was doing in Cuba?

Really feel bad for Gillian though. Son is cutting things out of her. :smh: :x I do feel Nucky could've and should've done more to get her out but alas. That "I promise I'll always look after you" was heart crushing.

I don't care what anybody says but Tommy Darmody getting revenge makes no sense. All he's done is ruin his life by committing murder. You mean to tell me Harrow's wife and sister were that poor of guardians that they couldn't raise him right? He doesn't have a home? You mean in those 10 years Gillian managed to warp his mind that much to do this? What was the plan? If he doesn't get Gillian out kill him?

As for Al, they really made you feel for one of biggest criminals from the scene with his son to turning himself in. If what happened were based on real events Al could have those guys over a barrel since the guy he gave the ledger to killed Van Alden. He could've made a deal to lessen the tax evasion charges or see if they'd give up their guy on a murder charge.

Lucky and the commission was what's up though :pimp: :smokin

So gratifying to see Narcisse die that way. Beautiful :smokin

Thought the whole Tommy coming back for him thing was corny but whatever.

I liked the framing of the last scene. And that Al Capone scene with his son was great.

The rest of the season, the rush job and the HBO frugality bit the series in the *** at the end but whatever.

All the child actors they brought in did a good job.

Funny they never show what became of Mabel, almost like they forgot.

But again, whatever.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wonder what kind of life Tommy Darmody had with the lady he went to Wisconsin with (Harrow's gf). She never seemed to enthused about the possibility of raising someone else's child by herself. My guess is she told Tommy about his mother's life, Jimmy and Nucky when he got older and he took it upon himself to go to AC
She knew absolutely nothing about his moms or Jimmy or Nucky. Literally nothing. She never even met Tommy's moms.

Arguably Gillian told him everything he needed to know.

When Al's son put up his fists...the feels!

All around great show. They stuck the landing and that's really all I ask for. Too many shows try to do too much when its time to bring the curtain down and end up falling flat. I'm sincerely going to miss many of the characters from what may be remembered as one of the most underrated shows of all time. Nuck, AR, Al, Gyp, Jimmy, Margaret, Chalky, Harrow, Luciano, Lansky, Remus, Torio, Van Alden, Mickey, Eddie, Narcisse, Purnsley and probably a dozen more. Wonderful casting and acting.

I liked the framing of the last scene. And that Al Capone scene with his son was great.

The rest of the season, the rush job and the HBO frugality bit the series in the *** at the end but whatever.

But again, whatever.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah I remember thinking back in S1 when it was revealed that he lost his child and wife that it happened during childbirth. I remember Eli sending a shot at Nuck about him never having kids and his wife dying cuz of that.

Now I'm lost on her but w/e is right.

Also is the chick that played Mabel the same actress that played the chick whose baby died of a sickness on The Knick and then went crazy and got committed? :nerd:

Props to the writers for taking a character everyone hated and thought was useless, Gillian, and arguably turning her into the most important character of the series

I think they tied everything up in the series as neat as they could. Only character who really suffered was Luchiano. The way he went from a lackey last season to the boss of New York this season was a joke :smh: His speech at the commision was weak af too.

Props to the writers for taking a character everyone hated and thought was useless, Gillian, and arguably turning her into the most important character of the series

I think they tied everything up in the series as neat as they could. Only character who really suffered was Luchiano. The way he went from a lackey last season to the boss of New York this season was a joke
mean.gif
His speech at the commision was weak af too.
He was hardly a lacky at that point. He was just biding his time, same as Al did. All those meetings Al had with Torio were alluding to the fact that Al had all the power and Torio was just a figurehead. The young guys were on the come up. When Al squeezed out Torio and took control of Chicago that gave Luciano some firm backing and likely set his plans in motion. You could see the discontent in his face when he met with Al. You aren't going to let your boy become boss while you running around playing second fiddle. When Lucky took out Maranzano he became made but that was basically a technicality. He already had the power and the respect. If you notice Lucky and Lansky were hesitant to accept any more help from Torio. Then during his speech forming The Commission he says something to the effect of "all the mustache Petes are in the ground" basically referring to all the old heads. And for the record, Lucky didn't become "boss" of New York. He became one of 5 bosses of New York. Imo it played out perfectly. In real life changes in power very seldom happen slowly. It's usually swift and violent. Luciano made everyone get down or lay down, simple as that.

But again, whatever.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah I remember thinking back in S1 when it was revealed that he lost his child and wife that it happened during childbirth. I remember Eli sending a shot at Nuck about him never having kids and his wife dying cuz of that.

Now I'm lost on her but w/e is right.

Also is the chick that played Mabel the same actress that played the chick whose baby died of a sickness on The Knick and then went crazy and got committed?
nerd.gif
Maya Kazan. It is! I didn't even make the connection and I watched both shows.

I think because Mabel is awesom and Eleanor from the Knick is a racist jerk
laugh.gif

Somewhere inside I refused to connect the two.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom