BP Oil Rep: “Louisiana isn’t the only place that has shrimp.â€

Now this is getting ridiculous! You would think that a billion dollar company, in a situation such as this, would be watching their word with laser precision. Check out this blurb released yesterday:

BP representative Hugh Depland said that while the company wasn’t sure exactly when more workers would be hired, the $239 billion company was spending “a lot of money, time and effort to bring this event to a close.â€

+@$+ this company man.

Ppl should be boycotting BP.

tired.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOW.
Stupidity at it's finest!
I mean does he not understand that........
nevermind.

SMH at the comment..... And I haven't went to a BP since they raised a gallon of gas to $4.99 around my area the day after 9/11. It only lasted a day before they lowered it back, but I still said I'd never go there again and haven't.

Clearly if this is true, this guy hasn't a clue.  But this sounds like some BS email that always gets sent around.  I agree, that whole company is probably watching their mouth right about now.

All theses corporate executives deserve to get thrown in jail and fined soo heavily that even their assets are affected
mad.gif

Lets not forget to throw them in a vat of oil
devil.gif

Hope they go bankrupt. Actually I don't hope, but if they do, I'll smile.

Boycott, schmoycott.... what he said was callous but all ya'll talking bout a boycott are just circle jerkin each other. It'll never happen. Why act like it will? You're as addicted to these big companies' products as I am and you know it. The difference between us; I understand it's always just a harsh business. It's not his job to care about my well being, it's his job to get oil where it needs to be. You don't deal with the devil and then get mad when he's not courteous. On some real, gas has been going down around here for the past month... so I really don't have many complaints. I wish Captain Planet were real, but other than that..
ohwell.gif
.. just keep my car running me back and forth to these two jobs so I can keep food in my belly. I'll worry about if that food is oil-spill-affected at another time. Real talk.

Originally Posted by BOTTOM74BOTTOM

Boycott, schmoycott.... what he said was callous but all ya'll talking bout a boycott are just circle jerkin each other. It'll never happen. Why act like it will? You're as addicted to these big companies' products as I am and you know it. The difference between us; I understand it's always just a harsh business. It's not his job to care about my well being, it's his job to get oil where it needs to be. You don't deal with the devil and then get mad when he's not courteous. On some real, gas has been going down around here for the past month... so I really don't have many complaints. I wish Captain Planet were real, but other than that..
ohwell.gif
.. just keep my car running me back and forth to these two jobs so I can keep food in my belly. I'll worry about if that food is oil-spill-affected at another time. Real talk.

yep, people saying they want to see bp go bankrupt, why?  so theres one less oil competitor?
indifferent.gif

The funny thing is that the media is complaining about the ecosystem, but rarely (if ever) mentions the 11 people that died. Are we that desensitized on the value of human life or do we just not care about human life unless it is politically suited to show soldiers getting killed on TV when opposing a war?

Some of you guys need to chill with blaming BP with the whole thing. 1. You think it's all gravy that BP is losing billions in dollars of would be product to sell to the consumer? 2. You think BP is happy spending $37 million (already) on reparations to the companies that have already been effected? 3. The Puppet in Chief just gave a circle jerk of a press conference explaining how BP is working under the direction of the government, how all of the government agencies are incompetent and inefficient they have been, how all of the central planners on all levels of the government are at each others throat, and how the government has failed. BP deservedly so should get some blame with mixing it up with government pencil pushers in the past and it doesn't help by the rep making that comment, but do not blame BP entirely for letting it last as long as it has.

after re-reading that quote I have a feeling it was taken out of context. He could have been simply saying that restaurants have other options if Louisiana doesn't have enough Shrimp. Now does that sound so bad?

1. Oil rig owner has made $270 million off the oil leak
Transocean Ltd., the owner of the Deepwater Horizon rig leased by BP, has been flying under the radar in the mainstream blame game. The world’s largest offshore drilling contractor, the company is conveniently headquartered in corporate-friendly Switzerland, and it’s no stranger to oil disasters. In 1979, an oil well it was drilling in the very same Gulf of Mexico ignited, sending the drill platform into the sea and causing one of the largest oil spills by the time it was capped… nine months later.
This experience undoubtedly influenced Transocean’s decision to insure the Deepwater Horizon rig for about twice what it was worth. In a conference call to analysts earlier this month, Transocean reported making a $270 million profit from insurance payouts after the disaster. It’s not hard to bet on failure when you know it’s somewhat assured.
2. BP has a terrible safety record
BP has a longrecord of oil-related disasters in the United States. In 2005, BP’s Texas City refinery exploded, killing 15 workers and injuring another 170. The next year, one of its Alaska pipelines leaked 200,000 gallons of crude oil. According to Public Citizen, BP has paid $550 million in fines. BP seems to particularly enjoy violating the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts, and has paid the two largest fines in the Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s history. (Is it any surprise that BP played a central, though greatly under-reported, role in the failure to contain the Exxon-Valdez spill years earlier?)
With Deepwater Horizon, BP didn’t break its dismal trend. In addition to choosing a cheaper — and less safe — casing to outfit the well that eventually burst, the company chose not to equip Deepwater Horizon with an acoustic trigger, a last-resort option that could have shut down the well even if it was damaged badly, and which is required in most developed countries that allow offshore drilling. In fact, BP employs these devices in its rigs located near England, but because the United States recommends rather than requires them, BP had no incentive to buy one — even though they only cost $500,000.
SeizeBP.org estimates that BP makes $500,000 in under eight minutes.
3. Oil spills are just a cost of doing business for BP
According to the Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies, approximately $1.6 billion in annual economic activity and services are at risk as a result of the Deepwater Horizon disaster. Compare this number — which doesn’t include the immeasurable environmental damages — to the current cap on BP’s liability for economic damages like lost wages and tourist dollars, which is $75 million. And compare that further to the first-quarter profits BP posted just one week after the explosion: $6 billion.
BP’s chief executive, Tony Hayward, has solemnly promised that the company will cover more than the required $75 million. On May 10, BP announced it had already spent $350 million. How fantastically generous of a company valued at $152.6 billion, and which makes $93 million each day.
The reality of the matter is that BP will not be deterred by the liability cap and pity payments doled out to a handful of victims of this disaster because they pale in comparison to its ghastly profits. Indeed, oil spills are just a cost of doing business for BP.
This is especially evident in a recent Citigroup analyst report prepared for BP investors: “Reaction to the Gulf of Mexico oil leak is a buying opportunity.â€

You can't boycott BP. They get your money whether you like it or not.

Wawa, Sunoco, Lukoil, Valero - they don't drill for oil so where do you think the oil that is then refined into the gas you buy comes from? Heck, Lukoil doesn't even refine the gas that they sell, they are basically an intermediary.

Back
Top Bottom