Brainteaser Thread vol. Expand Your Mind

Three men go to a pizza parlor. They order a pizza that costs $30. They pay the waiter $10 each for the pizza (10x3=30). The waiter takes the $30 to the cash register where he realizes the pizza actually only costs $25. The waiter goes to give back the men their $5 in change. On the way, the waiter realizes that he cannot split the $5 three ways so he decides to pocket $2 for himself and gives each man back $1. This means that each man paid $9 per person for the pizza. The waiter pocketed $2. so 9x3=27. 27+2=29. What happened to the last dollar?

I'm actually confused on this one. They pay $10 each, but the actual value is $25. If you split $25 three ways, it's $8.33. So if he gives each of them a dollar back, that means they "spent" $9.33 cents, which is $28 when multiplied by 3. The waiter keeping $2 dollars brings them back to $30. Am I missing something or is this kinda a trick question?

Last edited:
Three men go to a pizza parlor. They order a pizza that costs $30. They pay the waiter $10 each for the pizza (10x3=30). The waiter takes the $30 to the cash register where he realizes the pizza actually only costs $25. The waiter goes to give back the men their $5 in change. On the way, the waiter realizes that he cannot split the $5 three ways so he decides to pocket $2 for himself and gives each man back $1. This means that each man paid $9 per person for the pizza. The waiter pocketed $2. so 9x3=27. 27+2=29. What happened to the last dollar?

I'm actually confused on this one. They pay $10 each, but the actual value is $25. If you split $25 three ways, it's $8.33. So if he gives each of them a dollar back, that means they "spent" $9.33 cents, which is $28 when multiplied by 3. The waiter keeping $2 dollars brings them back to $30. Am I missing something or is this kinda a trick question?

It's just a trick question. Everyone got their money back, pizza paid and cashier kept the $2.

It's all the wording and equation that's throwing you off.

Last edited:
no tip for him, lakersman3000 took it

If we doing trick questions I like the one I saw on Kimmel a few weeks back:

"A farmer has 17 sheep, all but 9 of them are eaten. How many sheep are left?"

The horse riddle has nothing to do with the horse's actual legs; it's referring to the "legs" or part of the trip it takes in a day, 61 miles all together. 2 "legs" of the trip equal 30 miles, the other 2 "legs" equal 31.

That's my guess at least!
What? :lol: It has everything to do with it's actual legs.

Memp2Atl got it right about it being a horse walking in a circle or oval pattern.

Last edited:

It's just a trick question. Everyone got their money back, pizza paid and cashier kept the $2.

It's all the wording and equation that's throwing you off.

Wordddd, gotcha. Sittin over here re-doing calculations like, "Damb, this doesn't make sense" :lol:

Alright, here's another one that's pretty common in interviews, I think:

You have two buckets - a five gallon bucket and a three gallon bucket. You can fill each of these buckets up with water as many times as you like, but you can't use anything else. How do you measure out exactly 4 gallons of water? If you give this one some thought I guarantee you'll get it eventually.

There are two solutions, so if you figure one out, try to figure out the other before you open the spoiler.

Solution:
There are actually two solutions:

First solution - You fill the three gallon bucket up, and pour that three gallon bucket into the five gallon bucket. The five gallon bucket now has 3 gallons of water in it. You then fill the three gallon bucket up again, and fill the five gallon bucket to the brim. Since you only had 2 gallons of space left in the five gallon bucket prior to pouring the second bucket in there, and you're pouring using a three gallon bucket, then that means you have 1 gallon left over in the three gallon bucket after this second pour. You pour that 1 gallon into the five gallon bucket, and then you fill the three gallon bucket up one more time and also pour that into the five gallon bucket. Since you already had 1 gallon in the bucket, and you pour the entire three gallon bucket in there, then you now have 4 gallons.

Second solution - You pour water into the five gallon bucket to the brim, and then pour that water into the three gallon bucket. Once the three gallon bucket is full, you will be left with 2 gallons in the five gallon bucket. Pour the three gallon bucket out, and then pour the 2 gallons from the five gallon bucket into the three gallon bucket. Now, fill up the five gallon bucket again. Since you only have 1 gallon of space left in the three gallon bucket since it's already holding 2 gallons, filling the three gallon bucket to the brim from the five gallon bucket will result in there being only 4 gallons in the five gallon bucket.

Last edited:
:lol:

That's wrong. Your answer is about a 3rd leg-penis while the horse in the riddle has two legs that travels 1 mile more than the other two legs. You haven't accounted for the other leg and it's a normal horse so no it doesn't have 2 penises.
Ohhhh I thought it said he was a 3 legged horse.

No solution
/thread

Last edited:
yo what happened to the other dollar with the pizza?
They were doing the math wrong. It's the way the question is worded that's suppose to trick you.

Nobody tried to answer:
If we doing trick questions I like the one I saw on Kimmel a few weeks back:

"A farmer has 17 sheep, all but 9 of them are eaten. How many sheep are left?"

Last edited:
Posted this one above, but realized it could just look like a long response since I was quoting someone else.

Alright, here's another one that's pretty common in interviews, I think:

You have two buckets - a five gallon bucket and a three gallon bucket. You can fill each of these buckets up with water as many times as you like, but you can't use anything else. How do you measure out exactly 4 gallons of water? If you give this one some thought I guarantee you'll get it eventually.

There are two solutions, so if you figure one out, try to figure out the other before you open the spoiler.

Solution:
There are actually two solutions:

First solution - You fill the three gallon bucket up, and pour that three gallon bucket into the five gallon bucket. The five gallon bucket now has 3 gallons of water in it. You then fill the three gallon bucket up again, and fill the five gallon bucket to the brim. Since you only had 2 gallons of space left in the five gallon bucket prior to pouring the second bucket in there, and you're pouring using a three gallon bucket, then that means you have 1 gallon left over in the three gallon bucket after this second pour. You pour that 1 gallon into the five gallon bucket, and then you fill the three gallon bucket up one more time and also pour that into the five gallon bucket. Since you already had 1 gallon in the bucket, and you pour the entire three gallon bucket in there, then you now have 4 gallons.

Second solution - You pour water into the five gallon bucket to the brim, and then pour that water into the three gallon bucket. Once the three gallon bucket is full, you will be left with 2 gallons in the five gallon bucket. Pour the three gallon bucket out, and then pour the 2 gallons from the five gallon bucket into the three gallon bucket. Now, fill up the five gallon bucket again. Since you only have 1 gallon of space left in the three gallon bucket since it's already holding 2 gallons, filling the three gallon bucket to the brim from the five gallon bucket will result in there being only 4 gallons in the five gallon bucket.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom