BrandBlack

I ended up staying true to size. I think if I had gone half size down my toes would be at the very end with no wiggle room at all.

I wasn't trolling these are really like a Lillard 2 low. They fit pretty much the same but the Jacquard upper feels better(softer and comfier out the box) on the Lillards. The RM has plush cushion and traction over the Lillards. Heel lock down and support the same. The half black and half white heel cup is like the Rip City's. RM is lighter of the two. Still like the (black/white) RM but I could see some improvements in the shoe (little extra ankle padding, rounder toe box, and solid mid-foot torsion support). For $110, it's good as it gets tho.

Last edited:
I wasn't trolling these are really like a Lillard 2 low. They fit pretty much the same but the Jacquard upper feels better(softer and comfier out the box) on the Lillards. The RM has plush cushion and traction over the Lillards. Heel lock down and support the same. The half black and half white heel cup is like the Rip City's. RM is lighter of the two. Still like the (black/white) RM but I could see some improvements in the shoe (little extra ankle padding, rounder toe box, and solid mid-foot torsion support). For $110, it's good as it gets tho.
You don't think the Lillard 2s are a low?

After the Kobe 8 dropped, I wouldnt consider a shoe like the lillard 2 to be a low anymore.

The rare metal seems like a must cop for me. Low to the ground, flat, and lightweight. Hopefully between these and the Harden 1, at least one will fit great. I've been looking for a great low top with cushioning that lasts longer than lunarlon. The cfd 1 low was great, I just prefered the mid for the heel lockdown. The JC2 low felt secure but only if I tie the laces tight enough to not be as comfortable and the heel felt clunky. Seems like lows are difficult to get right. Idk if its just me but I want a low top to feel low to the ground. Usually, lows have the same midsole from the mids so it doesn't feel right unless its a kobe. 

Last edited:
I think Nightwing2303 is a brand ambassador for BrandBlack, but either way, he might have sold me on a pair of those Rare Metals.

Don't know how I can pull them off casually though lol.

^^I kinda get what you mean but I think the rare metal might finally be one that works for me. The jc3 is great but too high off the ground for me. The jc2 forefoot containment is tricky. I had no problem with the xx9.

I played in my JC2 mid the other day without remembering to wear thicker socks. Maybe that's why I found myself heel striking a couple times and it felt brutal the way to heel is.

Last edited:
After the Kobe 8 dropped, I wouldnt consider a shoe like the lillard 2 to be a low anymore.

The rare metal seems like a must cop for me. Low to the ground, flat, and lightweight. Hopefully between these and the Harden 1, at least one will fit great. I've been looking for a great low top with cushioning that lasts longer than lunarlon. The cfd 1 low was great, I just prefered the mid for the heel lockdown. The JC2 low felt secure but only if I tie the laces tight enough to not be as comfortable and the heel felt clunky. Seems like lows are difficult to get right. Idk if its just me but I want a low top to feel low to the ground. Usually, lows have the same midsole from the mids so it doesn't feel right unless its a kobe. 

Yeah I don't consider Lillard 2, lows either. They are what I call hybrid. RM are borderline but they are lows with midtop support in mind. Kobe 8s are the true definition of low. Harden Vol. 1 seems to fit the bill too. You will like those for court feel since the boost is thin.

Yeah I don't consider Lillard 2, lows either. They are what I call hybrid. RM are borderline but they are lows with midtop support in mind. Kobe 8s are the true definition of low. Harden Vol. 1 seems to fit the bill too. You will like those for court feel since the boost is thin.
I just tried my pair on again, definitely agree with you guys, the bootie comes up halfway over my ankle, so I agree it's not a true low. Kobe 8s, zoom crusaders are for sure lows.

My pair came in late last night, and I went tts and have about a thumb width of space up front. Not sure I could get away with half down since i have ogre feet and the toe box is on the "pointy"(?) Side so I could see my pinky toes having some issues if I went half down. If u got narrow feet I think half down will work if u got wide feet stay tts.

I see the similarities between these and the lillard 2s but they feel different on feet. I love my lillards, but they felt a little clunky at times and heavy. Plus the one booty/no tongue setup isn't my fav.

RMs are so light on feet, def don't have the clunkiness or heaviness the lillards have. The upper is stiffer tho, going to take some time to break in for sure unlike the lillards. The traditional tongue/half booty setup also feels a lot better IMHO.

Trying these tonight to ball, curious about the cushion and the traction for sure.

@pjeung  thanks for your thoughts - good to hear more takes on these!

@Vince23heat  I think you will dig these RMs compared to the JC2s and 3s. Just from lacing them up and walking around, I anticipate transition about as smooth as it gets and seems to be a great court feel/cushion balance. Also, though I can't say until I've played in them, I feel like the forefoot containment issues that were present with the JC2 will not be a problem here. The tightness of the jacquard and extra reinforcement under the toe box should really help

After lacing the RMs up side-by-side with some other shoes last night, I think I'm going to take a gamble and play in this .5 size down pair. Could turn out great after they break-in or possibly not... we'll find out. At least I can be a guinea pig for those considering sizing down.

@pjeung
 thanks for your thoughts - good to hear more takes on these!

@Vince23heat
 I think you will dig these RMs compared to the JC2s and 3s. Just from lacing them up and walking around, I anticipate transition about as smooth as it gets and seems to be a great court feel/cushion balance. Also, though I can't say until I've played in them, I feel like the forefoot containment issues that were present with the JC2 will not be a problem here. The tightness of the jacquard and extra reinforcement under the toe box should really help

After lacing the RMs up side-by-side with some other shoes last night, I think I'm going to take a gamble and play in this .5 size down pair. Could turn out great after they break-in or possibly not... we'll find out. At least I can be a guinea pig for those considering sizing down.

Can't wait to hear more about your experiences with RMs. These look and sound like great shoes. I want to get a pair but waiting for more reviews and seeing what other colors come out. I've been going 1/2 size down on most knit shoes lately, so I'm guessing I'll do the same with these.

played in my RM's last night.  lock down is unexpectedly great in these considering how low they are in the heel.  That caught me by surprise. The weight did as well.  Considering how bottom heavy shoes are these days, thew RM is super light from the midsole down and i think that's how BB managed to make these only 11 oz.  The midsole/outsole feels a lot like the nike ultra midsole outsole, like almost hollowed out somewhere without sacrificing cushion somehow.  I didn't realize it at first, there are portions of the outsole that are just an extension of the misole, while other portions are obviously covered in rubber.  

Traction was good, not amazing.  The bite wasn't very strong, but traction overall was consistent and good.  Cushion was great, really great combination of impact protection and court feel.  Pretty bouncy too I might add.   

The upper is a little disappointing.  It was stiff, and still is a little a few games in. Right where your foot flexes (start of the toe box) it didn't flex as well as I initially thought they would.  It wasn't uncomfortable by any means, just didn't feel that natural flex you would think you would get with a jacquard.  

Overall, i'm really pleased with the shoe.  For $110, you really get ur moneys worth.   

Oh, and TTS does feel a lil long, it actually LOOKS really long too lol. But again, didn't have any heel slip nor did i feel like my foot was moving around all over the place.  That micro fiber insole was a nice touch BB. 

Last edited:
Sounds great. Its very rare for a shoe to be low to the ground and still have good cushion. I realized how court feel is subjective. Some think the CLB16 has good court feel but I use the kobe 8 as my standard for that

Last edited:
Sounds great. Its very rare for a shoe to be low to the ground and still have good cushion. I realized how court feel is subjective. Some think the CLB16 has good court feel but I use the kobe 8 as my standard for that

I don't think it's super low to ground, def lower than the jc3s tho

Yeah the traction was not as good once I got on the court. It didn't bite hard on cuts and lateral movements. The Lillard 2 gripped harder and I felt more comfortable making all kinds of moves in them than the RM. The JC2/3 traction was better right out the box. Might be that it needs to break in a little first.

Court feel in the forefoot was not as good as the Lillard 2. Heel to toe transition felt natural on the L2 too. The cushion was good in terms of plushness but I think it's too soft as you could possibly roll your ankle because how easily you can twist the shoe with your hands. But the outrigger and wide outsole base should help prevent it from happening. I'd feel safer if it had that midfoot shank on the JC2 or that rectangular piece where you see the brandblack shank was a rigid plastic at least. Adidas Bounce is much more stable. It offers nice cushion, stability and impact protection just with the cushioning alone with no midfoot shank.

I didn't have a problem with the upper, actually broke in really quick. Wonder if there'll be a .5 model with a woven upper like the JC2.

I'd compare them to the Kobe V but for bigger players that's not comfortable in lows but the peak on the last eyelets makes you feel secure. Didn't experience heel slip going TTS. I'd give the RM a 8.5/10

Yeah the traction was not as good once I got on the court. It didn't bite hard on cuts and lateral movements. The Lillard 2 gripped harder and I felt more comfortable making all kinds of moves in them than the RM. The JC2/3 traction was better right out the box. Might be that it needs to break in a little first.

Court feel in the forefoot was not as good as the Lillard 2. Heel to toe transition felt natural on the L2 too. The cushion was good in terms of plushness but I think it's too soft as you could possibly roll your ankle because how easily you can twist the shoe with your hands. But the outrigger and wide outsole base should help prevent it from happening. I'd feel safer if it had that midfoot shank on the JC2 or that rectangular piece where you see the brandblack shank was a rigid plastic at least. Adidas Bounce is much more stable. It offers nice cushion, stability and impact protection just with the cushioning alone with no midfoot shank.

I didn't have a problem with the upper, actually broke in really quick. Wonder if there'll be a .5 model with a woven upper like the JC2.

I'd compare them to the Kobe V but for bigger players that's not comfortable in lows but the peak on the last eyelets makes you feel secure. Didn't experience heel slip going TTS. I'd give the RM a 8.5/10
pretty spot on compared to my experience.  Yeah the upper was nice, it just didn't bend as freely as i thought it would.  could be a sizing issue on my part with the shoe being too long.  as far as traction, the jc3 bit the hardest for me out of all the BBs i own.   

Last edited:
Was about to +1 your review but I had it all in my head already to not write it lol

Yeah the JC 3 traction was great for having a translucent outsole.

So I just pulled the trigger on some Rare Metals. Can't resist the positive reviews. Sounds like a good mix of the JC3 and Lillard 2s. Went 1/2 size down. Hope they fit alright.

So I just pulled the trigger on some Rare Metals. Can't resist the positive reviews. Sounds like a good mix of the JC3 and Lillard 2s. Went 1/2 size down. Hope they fit alright.
I honestly think that's the move as long as your feet aren't overly wide (like mine lol) 

Back
Top Bottom