Breaking: Gentry Humphrey Headed Back to Jordan Brand

06-09 is the worst. Those military iv's might be the worst retro of all time.

04-05 was the best. 13's are my favorites tho
My vote for the worst goes to the fire red 3s. That first retro was absolutely terrible to the midsole. And 04-05 had the cool grey and lightning 4s with terrible cracking midsole too.

Don't think I'll ever see this happening in the near future now

air-jordan-4-fire-red-1989-4.jpg

Holiday 2018...are y’all ready?

Attachments

• D2968B13-D3FB-4888-A98C-3F1A7D675680.jpeg
    D2968B13-D3FB-4888-A98C-3F1A7D675680.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 47A04501-C986-478D-8414-E211F879F6F1.jpeg
    47A04501-C986-478D-8414-E211F879F6F1.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 30
  • F505985C-BE1F-4407-A511-2994D0D22FF3.jpeg
    F505985C-BE1F-4407-A511-2994D0D22FF3.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 28
  • E65DFADE-C19D-4377-8D18-CD120A66BECD.jpeg
    E65DFADE-C19D-4377-8D18-CD120A66BECD.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 0D36E757-80BE-4396-A29B-C36303CAA714.jpeg
    0D36E757-80BE-4396-A29B-C36303CAA714.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 29
Maybe all of the 4s produced during that period might qualify IMO

This...Military Blues were the worst in my eyes and the Mars pair was certainly on par with those...

For me 2005 through 2012 we’re hands down the worst quality years for the brand...They had hits here and there (DMP’s for example), but the releases were by and large just shoddy quality sneakers...Comparable to early 00’s swap meet knockoffs...

My Military IV's sole literally came off and they weren't brand new. They were worn many times, not beat, and the leather... yikes. That retro was bad and we were sooooo hyped at the time because the colorway never before retro'd smh.

Scammer.

RIP JB especially if he f’s up the concords or the bred 4s. I came back after selling my 200 pair collection in 2006. I stumbled on a pair of WC4 on the hash wall at a Nike outlet last July. I couldn’t believe my eyes seeing a WC4 with Nike Air on the back. I had no idea about the remastered releases. Screw Gentry and screw JB if they start the nonsense again (the shadow 1 box label and upcoming trash for 2018 is already a red flag). I won’t be buying into anything that is backward step from where we are right now. I hate to rant but It bothers me every time get on NT and see this thread up top lol

the 2006 mars 4 might be one of the worst quality retros ever produced

This...Military Blues were the worst in my eyes and the Mars pair was certainly on par with those...

For me 2005 through 2012 we’re hands down the worst quality years for the brand...They had hits here and there (DMP’s for example), but the releases were by and large just shoddy quality sneakers...Comparable to early 00’s swap meet knockoffs...

Some thoughts on the above comments as I worked Nike retail during that time period.

From '03-'09, Retro+ colourways had far better quality than OG colourways. The 'Pure $' and 'Black Cat' IVs that dropped at the same time as those horrid 'Military' & 'Mars' were of far better quality than the latter two.

I stopped buying Jordan product 'circa 2011 so I can't comment on anything after that but I severely disappointed with everything that dropped during and after the CDP era. Both Retro+ and OG were horrendously bad.

Not even going to lie to you cats; I did wonder if it was JB intentionally requesting the lower quality shoes or if it was the factories pulling the bait and switch as demand for JB product was so high. I had access to JB samples and the quality difference between the sample and GR was night and day.

I haven't been following JB the past few years, but what more can Gentry do at this point? Create more Fusion/Hybrid sneakers and garbage retros? Seems like that actually got worse while he was away.

Last edited:
Been a busy week in the office, so I missed this news until now. Oh dear. It may be unfair to place all blame on him for that dark, dark period, as he certainly had his own bosses to answer to and we don't know what mandates were weighing on him in terms of revenue growth. That said, almost NOTHING positive happened to the product on his watch. It only got worse for sure. I fear that we might be in for more of the exact same, as it strikes me as not a coincidence that Nike reinstalls the guy who made securing Jordans a nightmare right at a time where demand for the shoes has taken a 180-degree turn from what it was like then. The mistake is, the drop-off in hysterics for Jordan releases has far more to do with shifting fashion trends and increased competition than it does from hype (or a lack thereof) created by people like Gentry's go-to strategy: false over-the-top scarcity. I completely quit even caring about Jordans during his reign, and only recently came back. If this clown starts up the same **** again, his brand won't get another penny of my money until he leaves for the second time. Unbelievable.

PS: This jerkoff's logic re: why he never was in favor of a return for Nike Air demonstrates, in a nutshell, how suspect his brain power is. Protecting "the OG collectors who were smart enough to hold onto shoes with Nike Air"? I said this as it happened at the time: that was the dumbest thing I ever heard. For one, many of us had all those shoes. Guess what, clown? We actually wore them, and wore them out. Not a lot of 15 year olds had the buying power to stash away pairs of OG sneakers for use 25-plus years later. And if we had, the goddamn shoes were unwearable at that point, anyway? And honestly, how many of those people were or are even out there? You've got an audience of millions clamoring for something, and you won't give it to them to "protect" this mythical population of shoe collectors? Brilliant. Not to mention, he apparently failed to understand that the value of OG examples of any given model did not hinge only on the fact they featured a Nike Air logo on the heel. I mean, the dude's entire line of thinking on this topic was laughable from the jump. Of course, I'm sure he was lying when he said all that, anyway. It was probably, seriously, just a line of marketing BS to get people to clamor for Nike Air even more, and then boom, years later they actually release shoes that way and everyone thanks them for the privilege of buying them LOL. So he's either the dumbest guy, or a genius. The problem with him being the latter is, I can't wait another 10 years for whatever his new strategy ultimately delivers. I'll be 50 by then, man. So yeah, eff this guy ahahahahaha

I'm just as disappointed as the rest of you and know that both Larry Miller and Howard White the President and Vice president of Jordan Brand both love Gentry. I will give G this though, initially it was his idea to bring the retro line back in 99. As stated in this thread earlier the social media era will not allow him to get away with the poor quality and poorly executed packs. I want to see what he will do there is a ton of pressure on him to do something greater given his reputation. How many more retro 1-6 can they release with the jumpman on the back it has been overdone at this point.

glad i've been doubling & tripling up on the best releases the past few years.
we'll see what happens.

For some reason I don’t mind the Jumpman on the back of fire red 4s. Maybe it’s because the red doesn’t contrast as much on the black. Otherwise 4s are ghe model I despise Jumpmans the most on.

Gotta give the guy one thing. He kept the brand relevant even while pumping out trash. It helped that other brands disappeared and Nike Basketball struggled in the early 2000s, but JB did keep its spot.

Back
Top Bottom