Bulls offseason Thread

My issue is these picks just like the charlotte pick are based on other teams winning and losing..... i dont fell like we really won in this situation. From contenders to years away now

I see your points but it's still much better than having absolutely nothing to show for if Deng just walked, IMO

Maybe they can package these picks to move up or as part of a larger trade.

Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised that GarPax had the cojones to pull this off.

My issue is these picks just like the charlotte pick are based on other teams winning and losing..... i dont fell like we really won in this situation. From contenders to years away now

I see your points but it's still much better than having absolutely nothing to show for if Deng just walked, IMO

We're on the same page, this was my hope when I read the specifics of the trade.

I know this was the right thing to do its just hard to let go of someone we all know is the glue to the team, I would have been more ok with deng for waiters than these picks. Im not into all this gambling on what could be crap. If it all lines up for us hey i gladly eat my words, its just hard to have hope these past few seasons as a bulls fan.

The Kings will make or get close enough to the playoffs before 2017 .. Same goes for the Bobcats/Horntets. Those protected picks will be a blessing in disguise.

The Kings will make or get close enough to the playoffs before 2017 .. Same goes for the Bobcats/Horntets. Those protected picks will be a blessing in disguise.

Not so sure about the Kings. Maybe if they were in the East, but they are building a squad of chuckers.

Let's not forget the NBA may change the draft lottery process. I think that plays in our favor as well.

The Kings pick is Top 12 protected this year and Top 10 protected in 2015-17. I'm not counting on it this year, I'm more focused on the Bobcats pick.

Why? Josh Smith was signed for $14 mil a year so that's a reasonable benchmark to start.

I'm pretty sure both sides knew they weren't going to be able to meet in the middle. The Bulls can't afford it, and Deng should compromise either.

I see him in a Laker uniform next season.
i tell you why because Deng if im not mistaken is coming off a max deal. 10 mil a year for a player that is injury prone and about to be on the other side of 30. i think 10mil is a good number considering hes coming off a max deal. Josh Smith imo is trending up Deng we all know what we get from him. hey im happy we got rid of him instead of letting him walk for nothing i have a big smile on my face
happy.gif

Basically a salary dump. Draft picks are worthless IMO. I understand it...just don't see the next move.

Well then I'm fine with dumping 20 mil worth of salary. There wasn't a better deal out there. Minnesota wasn't giving up Love, Portland wasn't giving up LA, and taking a risk on Melo without a guaranteed commitment from him would've been foolish. We dumped salary and added a few more trading assets, not sure how anyone could be upset with this move.

The Bulls made a great move by trading Deng. The Bulls offered Deng a contract extension something around 3 yrs and 10 mil per yr I believe, and he declined. Why let him walk where you can get as much as you can in return while having the opportunity to gain a ton of cap space in the process. The Bulls wont keep Bynum I think and will amnesty Boozer as well. 

Last edited:
Looking at this press conference and players reaction, sure its easy to say this was the right choice but that locker room had something special and deng was the center piece to the cohesion..

This move is going to have a more lasting effect than some of yall can see right now and not in a good way.

Looking at this press conference and players reaction, sure its easy to say this was the right choice but that locker room had something special and deng was the center piece to the cohesion..

This move is going to have a more lasting effect than some of yall can see right now and not in a good way.

He rejected 3 years 30 million. He made it clear he was not going to take a "hometown discount." He would've walked out of that locker at the end of the season and never looked back. We would've ended up with NOTHING, similar to the Asik situation. Now we have cap space and trade assets.

You guys forget that we still have Butler and Snell. As long as they stay healthy and continue to grow we'll be fine.

Interesting take from Zach Lowe of Grantland:

Back to Chicago, and to free agency: This will be Chicago's last summer before Jimmy Butler is due a new contract, which will add another large deal to a pile that includes Rose, Joakim Noah, and Taj Gibson. Bring Butler back at a fair rate, ink Mirotic, and factor in all the picks Chicago is now due (including a first-rounder from Charlotte at some point), and the Bulls could be facing limited cap flexibility in future summers after this one. A lot can change, obviously; the cap will continue to go up, the Bulls will make trades, and Noah's deal is up after 2015-16.

But the Bulls have some incentive to use this newfound cap flexibility while they have it, either in free agency or in some lopsided trade. Remember: Deng may emerge as one of the top three real free agents this summer, and the Bulls just let him go. They have to replace his production, at some point, somehow. Mirotic and the picks will help, but the Bulls need more proven stuff on the wing in addition to Butler, Mike Dunleavy, and the untested Tony Snell. If I were Gar Forman/John Paxson, I'd think hard about breaking the bank for Lance Stephenson — an unrestricted free agent who could work on the wing next to Butler and effectively serve as the team's backup point guard, a role Stephenson is playing now for Indiana. Stephenson is a rare thing — an under-25, unrestricted free agent. The Bulls might have to carve out a bit more room to realistically chase him, perhaps by salary-dumping the helpless Marquis Teague, but it's worth a thought. (Side note on Mirotic: The 2014 draft will mark three years since the Bulls picked Mirotic, meaning they could sign him outside the restrictions of the rookie scale, per several league sources.)

If Chicago can't find the right free-agency target, it could hold the fort with a couple of affordable veterans, and use its new bevy of assets to kick around potential trade ideas for big names who might become available.

This trade puts Chicago in a very good place. It's hard to come out much better while losing an All-Star in what amounts to a salary dump/tanking maneuver.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...hinking-playoffs-the-bulls-are-thinking-ahead

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Deng just wanted out of Chicago because he hates management. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed for $10m/yr somewhere else.

I want no parts of "Born Ready" unless it's a mid level type of deal which won't happen .. he's having a good year but nothing that suggests anyone should break the bank on him.

I want to know who they want to send back...

Dream scenario: you're in the top 5 and you're on the clock with Bari & Marcus on the board still... Who do you select?

Back
Top Bottom