Cal Ripken, Jr. consecutive games question

I'm sure there is a simple (and obvious) answer for this, but I just don't understand it...most likely because I'm not a die hard baseball fan. If you glance at Ripken's career stats, the "games played" section shows season with 86 and 112 and 161 games played. Shouldn't they all be 162 if he played 2,632 games consecutively? Wouldn't one season of 161 in the middle end the streak, let alone seasons with games played in the 80 to 112 range?

I'm sure there is a simple (and obvious) answer for this, but I just don't understand it...most likely because I'm not a die hard baseball fan. If you glance at Ripken's career stats, the "games played" section shows season with 86 and 112 and 161 games played. Shouldn't they all be 162 if he played 2,632 games consecutively? Wouldn't one season of 161 in the middle end the streak, let alone seasons with games played in the 80 to 112 range?

I'm not 100% sure of this, but it could be because he didn't finish a lot of those games, just started.

& for that reason, that record is one of the most, if not the most overrated in all of sports.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but it could be because he didn't finish a lot of those games, just started.

& for that reason, that record is one of the most, if not the most overrated in all of sports.

Originally Posted by MBen32

Whoa.

Eassssy there.

Whoa.

Eassssy there.

those seasons were shortened due to the strike.  the seasons with 161 are probably rain outs that were never made up

those seasons were shortened due to the strike.  the seasons with 161 are probably rain outs that were never made up

Originally Posted by Nek32

How many strikes were there? There's 5 seasons where he missed a substantial amount of games if I'm looking at it correctly. And I don't mean that facetiously, I really have no idea. haha

1994: 112 games
1995: 144 games
1999: 86 games
2000: 83 games
2001: 128 games

Streak ended in 1998 I believe. I remember randomly watching that. Pretty sure it was a Sunday Night game against the Yankees.

Originally Posted by Nek32

How many strikes were there? There's 5 seasons where he missed a substantial amount of games if I'm looking at it correctly. And I don't mean that facetiously, I really have no idea. haha

1994: 112 games
1995: 144 games
1999: 86 games
2000: 83 games
2001: 128 games

Streak ended in 1998 I believe. I remember randomly watching that. Pretty sure it was a Sunday Night game against the Yankees.

i wont say most overrated record, but as far as consecutive starts....

brett favre's consecutive starts > *

i wont say most overrated record, but as far as consecutive starts....

brett favre's consecutive starts > *

yeah i know because so many players have came close to breaking it other then him and lou ghering.

ripken and favres consecutive games streaks are appreciated by me

Back
Top Bottom