Can NT'ers hook your boy up with some advice on interviewing for a job. This job market can be cold.

Gill Baka Esq. LLC.

formerly grimlock
Fam. I need some interview help and advice for a hospital job. I'm interviewing for a rehab therapist position, and I was told that I would be interviewing with HR first, taking some sort of test, then interviewing with the Rehab department panel (3-5 people).

I got the basics lined up (e.g., multiple resumes, some portfolio of written notes, clothes i'll be wearing)

Could use the advice for those who have interviewed for a job like this or anything similar. I think I have it pretty much down but i'm a kinda guy that I like to cover all corners and be ready for this.

Much appreciated fam!

:nthat:

Ty. So to give people a little backstory, the hospital i'm applying to is where I just finished a 5-month externship and it was recommend by the head of my dept. that I apply and get this job. So I feel like i'm already in good with her she'll, be one of the people on the rehab panel.

Nothing is guaranteed though.

Interview is Tuesday.

Last edited:
Pre written thank you Letters. If you're going to be interviewing with multiple people it becomes a hassle to write numerous versions of the same message. Doing it in advance allows you more time to make changes in your word choice so that they're truly different letters. I keep a word document with ten different letters ready to go.

Mr. _____,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today regarding the ____ position. It was a very insightful and informative conversation, I enjoyed hearing the perspective of _________ who __________

I hope you have great weekend.

Regards,

Name

Ms. _______,

Thank you for taking the time to speak to me today regarding the _____________ position. I learned a lot about what the position entails during our conversation, along with what skills are needed to succeed from you and am confident that I would be a great fit and quickly add value to your team.

I will be sure to keep in touch with any questions I may have and I look forward to hearing from you in the future. 

Thank you,

Name

Ms. _____,

Thank you for taking the time to speak to me today regarding the ____________ position. I learned a lot about what the position entails during our conversation, along with what skills are needed to succeed from you and am confident that I would be a great fit and quickly add value to your team.

I will be sure to keep in touch with any questions I may have and I look forward to _________

Thank you,
Name
@GrimlocK

Demeanor and body language. They need you, you don't need them
People always say this and this is a lie. You need that job much more than they need to hire you, you are basically expendable to them cause if you dont get it, there are dozens of people who have applied for that same job.

Work up a full-bodied pipe print.

Eye contact, unwavering, piercing, eye-contact. Gaze into the interviewers eyes like they're windows to his or her soul.

Vice-like grip. Don't be shy to crack a metacarpal.

????

Profit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice so far brah's. Antidope with those ty notes are clutch. Pipe-print pants are a go.

Please, any other advice is more than welcome and hopefully this thread can help others out there as well.

Any advice on interview questions?

Thanks for the advice so far brah's. Antidope with those ty notes are clutch. Pipe-print pants are a go.

Please, any other advice is more than welcome and hopefully this thread can help others out there as well.

Any advice on interview questions?
Most of the ones I keep on my document are industry specific but I have a few general ones:
Do you have any questions?

How would you describe the kinds of people that thrive in the company and those that don't fit in? What does that say about the culture?

What a day in the life would be like for someone coming in at my level?

What would success look like in the position? If I were to be offered the job and a year from now we were reviewing how it's going, what would I have accomplished for you to say, 'What an amazing year you've had?

Tell me a little bit about your story. How did you find your way into the company? What have you enjoyed most (If you get the names prior, do some digging into their background)
It doesnt hurt to LinkedIn stalk someone either, helps you get more familiar with the people you are talking to. You might find some good info on there.

Fam. I need some interview help and advice for a hospital job. I'm interviewing for a rehab therapist position, and I was told that I would be interviewing with HR first, taking some sort of test, then interviewing with the Rehab department panel (3-5 people).

I got the basics lined up (e.g., multiple resumes, some portfolio of written notes, clothes i'll be wearing)

Could use the advice for those who have interviewed for a job like this or anything similar. I think I have it pretty much down but i'm a kinda guy that I like to cover all corners and be ready for this.

Much appreciated fam!

:nthat:
I don't work in your field directly, but I do partner with a lot of occupational clinics when my workers get hurt, and my old place had an occupational therapist we hired as a contractor that I worked side by side with.

The first round is just to screen candidates. HR does not know anything about your field, they just want to gauge you as a person. This is the filtering round. Next will be around 3-5 I'm guessing and in person.

I've been on both ends of the table. I've interviewed for people to join my team. I've been asked by my colleagues to sit down on a round table to help evaluate the candidates for their team. I've interviewed at a bunch of places. I've been offered jobs that I turned down. I've been shot down a lot.

I don't have a lot of time to post on here much, but wanted to chime in as this can be a crucial step to shape your future. Didn't proof read so excuse any typos or run on paragraphs.

I see interviews as sparring sessions. I have interviewed for jobs I have very little interest in because I want to stay sharp when answering them. Do it enough and it becomes second nature. With that said, if you haven't interviewed in a minute, practice. Practice with your peers, or with yourself. Think of questions that may be asked. The point is to be fluid and able to think on your feet. Some questions that come to mind, again general questions, since I am not in your field:

-why are you looking for a new job?
-what makes you think you want to work here?
-how do you deal under pressure?
-how do you feel about working long hours?
-how do you interact with people of different backgrounds and interests?

If you are able to get an interview, then chances are your technical background is qualified to an extent. You have to sell yourself at the interview. Team nucleus is so important and that's something that you can't teach someone. A lot of the skill-sets can be learned on the job (sans a few obviously).

Be genuine. Be yourself. Be humble. Follow up. Ask what you can do for them.

This is an example of a dialogue of how it may go down, based on my experience.

HR: Hi! Thanks for applying for the position. This round is to touch base with qualified candidates. I will take notes and pass it on to the hiring manager. What made you interested in the position.

PLEASE DO NOT SAY I WANT A BETTER PAYING JOB or something stupid. They know you want something already because you are applying.

You: Hello. I'm interested in your company because I know your hospital/clinic is one of the best in the cities. It would be an honor to work at a high ranking setting so I can really use what I learned in the classroom setting to work.

HR: Great. Is this your first job? Do you have prior experiences?

DO NOT LIE. There are services out there that employers use that show your work history. If you are fresh out of school then say that, do not make places up. A lot of people do this, and they get trashed automatically.

You: This is my first job from school. I know the job market is shaky at the moment and I'm truly grateful just being considered. I did interned at XXXXX. I also have letters of recommendations from respected professors to show my work ethics.

Your answer will obvious vary. This is me writing free hand. Again the point is to be yourself and be fluid. Don't go in and stutter or say UMMM and UHHHH. Practice so you can adapt with the questions.

Do not feel entitled. Unless you're a world class doctor that found a cure for cancer or a high ranking programmer, not too many people are going to court you. We had a requisition open for a coordinator and there were over 100 applicants within the first week. Trust we had plans already...if Candidate A does not accept, we will contact Candidate B within a week, and if B doesn't accept...we will reopen the req for a new batch of talents to apply.

A week after the interview if you haven't heard anything back, follow up with an email or a call just to thank them and see if there's anything else you can do. This last part goes A LONG way. In 2013 I was applying for jobs in different regions, while I got flew out to interviews, I didn't get the jobs because I was too young. Those folks still hit me up here and there to see if I am still interested. Networking is key in life in general.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Once again anti is clutch for interview but asking what brought them into the industry

First of all, congrats on the interview fam! 

Second, I'm in a similar boat as I'm interviewing at a place where I did an externship and the job is within reach, I just need to put my best foot forward in order to get the opportunities I want. That being said, this is my advice for what helps me interview.

1. Practice interview questions with a friend/friends/college career center/mentor. Since you're dealing with a panel at the hospital, I imagine some of the questions will be behavioral regarding how you've handled a challenging patient/colleague/situation in the past, how you would react if blah blah were to happen, as well as motivations questions. With practice, you'll have your stories to draw from. And if you get stumped, remember that you can always pause and say "let me think about that," instead of saying something rash or stumbling with fillers like "um" or "ah".

2. Bring a list of questions you want answered about the role you're about to take about management styles, what it takes to succeed and how success is measured, what the team dynamics are, how they see you would fit into their vision, how you would be able to develop yourself in that role, etc. I'm assuming you already want to work there, however, this will give you more insight into what they see for you and how you'd fit into their vision and whether that's in line with what you want for yourself. 

3. Tailor answers to their mission statement and their clientele. I'm assuming your hospital/facility has a mission statement and specific clientele/population that they work with. 

4. Watch some stand up/funny memes/fail vids/anything that makes you laugh in the car before you head into the facility so that you're in a smiling mood and frame of mind so that that your smile comes naturally and easily during the interview. It helps me ease some of the anxiety and tension I feel and makes it easy for me to smile at people and be friendly when I'm stressed. I believe Dave Chappelle's helped me get my last couple offers. I walk into the room beaming like 
happy.gif
, sometimes I hope that they're not thinking I'm on drugs or something. 
laugh.gif

Good luck, fam. Hope you get that offer! Update us when you hear back. 

UPDATE:

Just wanted to update all the brah's interested in this thread and me securing this position....

Interview went okay in my eyes. Interviewed with HR which went excellent...had to take an 111 question "Strongly Agree/Disagree" questionare. I actually found out my scores for this questionaire....out of 9 areas I scored excellent in 6/9, Above average for 1/9, Average for Multitasking, and low for energy. I really answered the questionaire truthfully which is why I probably scored low in certain areas (i.e., like to finish one task and focus on one task efficiently before handling others). I answered it this way because for my field you really need to pay attention to presenting conditions/symptoms. I hope that didn't hurt my chances too much.

Then after the HR stuff I interviewed with the Rehab dept. I interviewed with the 3 senior heads of my dept that I was an intern for and they all liked me when I was there as an intern so that was great, but I also interviewed with the neurology head which he was trying to bust my chops mostly, but I felt I left a good impression on him. He told me I had too much stuff on my resume....:smh: at me.

So this was last Tuesday....I sent out my personlized thank you notes with the thanks of Antidope's recommendation and I really think it help me make a good impression....I sent one to the HR manager, 3 to each of my depts seniors who were there for the interview, and also one to the neurology head to explain that I had digested what he said during the interview and what I could bring to the rehab team.

Fast forward to today and I get a follow up e-mail to send 2 letters of recommendation from my supervisors....

Is this a good thing...are they truthfully considering me for this position?

Thanks brah's :nthat:

They're poking back, brah. Asking you for more. That's always a good sign.

If he says you have too much on your resume, simplify it. A resume is important to show you at a glance, but it shouldn't have your life story on it. They see all of that in your application already, your past jobs, education, etc. are all the reasons why they usually consider you (unless you have a friend on the inside). You really only want it to have what THEY want to see and in a short way.

Get the letters from your supervisors, send them over ASAP. This sounds good for you.

UPDATE:

Just wanted to update all the brah's interested in this thread and me securing this position....

Interview went okay in my eyes. Interviewed with HR which went excellent...had to take an 111 question "Strongly Agree/Disagree" questionare. I actually found out my scores for this questionaire....out of 9 areas I scored excellent in 6/9, Above average for 1/9, Average for Multitasking, and low for energy. I really answered the questionaire truthfully which is why I probably scored low in certain areas (i.e., like to finish one task and focus on one task efficiently before handling others). I answered it this way because for my field you really need to pay attention to presenting conditions/symptoms. I hope that didn't hurt my chances too much.

Then after the HR stuff I interviewed with the Rehab dept. I interviewed with the 3 senior heads of my dept that I was an intern for and they all liked me when I was there as an intern so that was great, but I also interviewed with the neurology head which he was trying to bust my chops mostly, but I felt I left a good impression on him. He told me I had too much stuff on my resume....
mean.gif
at me.

So this was last Tuesday....I sent out my personlized thank you notes with the thanks of Antidope's recommendation and I really think it help me make a good impression....I sent one to the HR manager, 3 to each of my depts seniors who were there for the interview, and also one to the neurology head to explain that I had digested what he said during the interview and what I could bring to the rehab team.

Fast forward to today and I get a follow up e-mail to send 2 letters of recommendation from my supervisors....

Is this a good thing...are they truthfully considering me for this position?

Thanks brah's
nthat.gif
I see @Antidope is helping you out. No surprise there, he's a good dude.

Don't get too hyped just yet, but yes, this is a good sign. Send the recommendation letters ASAP (sooner = better).

Let us know how it goes.

It doesnt hurt to LinkedIn stalk someone either, helps you get more familiar with the people you are talking to. You might find some good info on there.
When have you premium, you can see who viewed your profile up to the minutes. It says a lot about either party. For instance, potential connections may view your profile but leave your connection request pending. Or just blatantly look at your request and deny it.

You have to have thick skin dealing with LinkedIn. You have to understand even the best companies have idiots who work for them and are just there for aesthetics, they know it and the company knows it.

So you're right in that sense. Those who are really serious about their industry and peers, are not on LinkedIn making up for being outcasts in high school or college. They're using LinkedIn and getting on the fast track building network of peers who've demonstrated value. Here's a quick screen shot from a few minutes ago.

A1fN22x.png

It's a good thing as they're vetting you further through your supervisors. From my understanding, references are usually contacted following the interview if you're in serious contention for a position. I figure they wouldn't want to waste their time with references if you weren't at least in contention.

Good job fam! It sounds like you've done well so far with the interview and sending out those Thank You letters. 

Congrats man glad to see you had a good experience.

Please keep us posted going forward. Hoping for the best.

Congrats man glad to see you had a good experience.

Please keep us posted going forward. Hoping for the best.

Those thank you letters are clutch man, I'm definitely using them for two internal interviews I have this week.

Thanks! :pimp:

Yeah, they don't ask for references and recommendation letters unless they're seriously considering you for the position. It's a tremendous waste of time for them otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom