Can we get a R&B/Soul/Neo-Soul thread?

^ Probably top 5 most shocking music moments in my life when i found out buddy was white :lol:

another one of them old school soulful white cats...

My phone is acting up but s/o to whoever mentioned Daley and Ledisi. I can't bring myself to buy any of her stuff but everything I've heard from Ledisi is nice and all her music is so positive about love. That's what's stood out most to me. I can't remember one "he did me wrong/I hate you" song from her.

I'm going to take this thread and make a banging Spotify playlist to listen to at work. :pimp:

That Jill Scott AH joint is so cool to me. I just want to two step at someone's family reunion with their granddaddy :lol:

Never really listened to much of his music, but I heard this song today and thought I'd share. :frown:

This album is so amazing. "I'll Wait For You" is my favorites. Saw him twice this year & got to meet him thanks to another NT'r. Nicest guy ever and so humble.

Seravince

Just came across this new project from keyboardist Vincent Helbers...I don't think it's a formal group but more a project/collective featuring people like Renee Neufville (one of the singers from Zhane who has a beautiful voice) & drummer Richard Spaven (Flying Lotus/Jose James).

The soundcloud link is below. Helbers offered the the first single for the first 500 downloads for free but it looks like it costs 1 Euro now ($1.30 US). Also found some vids on YouTube. The music sounds really good & can't wait till it drops...Also have a link to the project's site. It doesn't have a release date yet though...

http://soundcloud.com/seravince

http://seravince.com/

Last edited:
NTer DT43 reminded about Jochim...Some tunes to share in case you're not aware of him...

Freddie Joachim - Hear It From You (ft. Lauren Santiago & Jacewon), Keep Lovin' (ft. Carlitta Durand), & Corinne Bailey Rae - I Would Like To Call It Beauty (Freddie Joachim Reprise)

Last edited:

I Want You by the Avila Brothers

Remember this song?

Random I know. I used to listen to the Spanish version too like I knew what was going on :lol:

Last edited:
Beyonce - Love On Top & trailer for HBO doc coming 2/16/13

Glad to see B can still make a simple R&B tune...Posted this song because I saw the 26 sec trailer HBO just released for the doc about her coming Feb 16, 2013. Should be good...

Last edited:
Can't believe I haven't hit this thread before. The whole NE Heartbreak album was dope. I'ma throw some joints up.

All time favorite. So ill.

Last edited:
D'Angelo - Use Me (Bill Withers Cover with Eric Clapton, Marcus Miller, & David Sanborn)

This one's for you illphillip...

Bill Withers - Use Me (BBC performance 1973)

Last edited:
^^^

Dope. I'm likely to post some vids inspired by what y'all post. If these have been posted, forgive.....

My favorite Anthony Hamilton song.

Marsha Ambrosius - Cold War

Her new single produced by Diplo...This one was safe to post unlike her other recent song... :lol:

Zhane - Rendez-vous

I'm surprised I can't find this song on youtube other than this version. Kinda funny this Japanese dude rocking this tune while driving around at night...

Res was ahead of her time. She would've fit in perfectly with the current genre mixing/indie shift that's been going on the past few years.

Can someone explain to me what neo soul is?

Never understood it...are you a superior form of soul music?

Or to seperate yourself from r&b?

Can someone explain to me what neo soul is?
Never understood it...are you a superior form of soul music?
Or to seperate yourself from r&b?

neo soul just means new soul.

one has to keep in mind the time people started using the brand name neo soul, what came before it was new jack swing. NJS was not looked at as the same Motown/Stax era deep soul music.
so when neo soul hit the scene it was more of a rebirth. a "back to the basics" label put on the music.

just as NJS was not look at as 'real soul' the same is said of the Chris Browns and Trey Songs of today. deservedly so too.

when you hear Anthony Hamilton it takes you back to Al Green.
Kindred the Family Soul take you back to Ashford and Simpson

Jill Scott and Erykah Badu's sound has elements of many things that take you back to real soul music

Jhene Aiko - Mirror

Her debut is set for sometime next year...This track was produced by Key Wane...

neo soul just means new soul.

one has to keep in mind the time people started using the brand name neo soul, what came before it was new jack swing. NJS was not looked at as the same Motown/Stax era deep soul music.
so when neo soul hit the scene it was more of a rebirth. a "back to the basics" label put on the music.

just as NJS was not look at as 'real soul' the same is said of the Chris Browns and Trey Songs of today. deservedly so too.

when you hear Anthony Hamilton it takes you back to Al Green.
Kindred the Family Soul take you back to Ashford and Simpson

Jill Scott and Erykah Badu's sound has elements of many things that take you back to real soul music

Good looking

Back
Top Bottom