Canon or Nikon?

Time for a DSLR. Is there anything better than either one of these brands? If so, what's better?

Budget is around 500-600

Cannon lenses are more compatible with more cannon bodies. Not to mention they are a little less expensive with the same excellent quality you get from nikkon.

You really can't go wrong though. There a great deal on the xsi with 2 lenses for about 619 shipped on slickdeals.net. look into it.

They are both the best. It's just preference really. Since you are getting a lower quality one you should do research yourself on the different models andsee what photographers say.

Top rated DSLR on Consumer Reports is the Nikon D90. Canon EOS Rebel T1i is in 4th place. The Nikons are heavier and typically have double the maximum ISO thanthe Canons. My assumption is that the Nikon is heavier because of the battery weight.

I think you would be fine with either one, it just depends on what interface you may be more familiar with. Personally, I have 2 Canon point and shoots, and Iam accustomed to their menus.

Nikon beats canon in the consumer range
canon beats nikon in the prosumer range.
canon beats nikon in the professional

I own canon 30d w/ 35L, 85 1.8, 50 1.4

I do like the d90, i wouldn't buy it, but its nice?

Originally Posted by eaalto

Top rated DSLR on Consumer Reports is the Nikon D90. Canon EOS Rebel T1i is in 4th place. The Nikons are heavier and typically have double the maximum ISO than the Canons. My assumption is that the Nikon is heavier because of the battery weight.

I think you would be fine with either one, it just depends on what interface you may be more familiar with. Personally, I have 2 Canon point and shoots, and I am accustomed to their menus.
Umm...what? Camera weight, particularly with entry-level cameras are pretty much negligible and "double the max ISO"??? Are you sure youknow what you're talking about? So far as I know entry-level cameras like the D5000 and T1i both have a max ISO of 6400. Max ISO for the D3s and 1D Mark IVare also identical so please avoid posting misleading information.

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

actually there's more than those 3 levels now and my opinion varies differently from yours

Canon T1i > Nikon D5000
Nikon D300 > Canon 50D
Nikon D90 = Canon 7D
Canon 5D Mark II > Nikon D700
Canon 1D Mark IV = Nikon D3s
Nikon D3x > Canon 1D Mark IV

Of course they all have their pros and cons. As a beginner though, the Canon T1i is strongly recommended (bias aside). Read around and you will see that it isbetter than the D5000. Either way, you really can't go wrong. Both companies put out amazing products. If you decide to get more involved with photography,check out NT's Official Photography thread: http://niketalk.com/topic/223538?page=1

NIKON

but im rocking with a sony cybershot right now
laugh.gif

I'm a Nikon fan, but canon puts out phenomenal products as well....at a certain level it comes down to personal preference

I don't know too much about dslr's, but as far as digital cameras go, canons are much better. I owned a nikon coolpix (the one with touch screen) andtook it back for a canon powershot. the nikon was more user friendly, but the canon owned it in quality, which is all i care about.

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

Originally Posted by eaalto

Top rated DSLR on Consumer Reports is the Nikon D90. Canon EOS Rebel T1i is in 4th place. The Nikons are heavier and typically have double the maximum ISO than the Canons. My assumption is that the Nikon is heavier because of the battery weight.

I think you would be fine with either one, it just depends on what interface you may be more familiar with. Personally, I have 2 Canon point and shoots, and I am accustomed to their menus.
Umm...what? Camera weight, particularly with entry-level cameras are pretty much negligible and "double the max ISO"??? Are you sure you know what you're talking about? So far as I know entry-level cameras like the D5000 and T1i both have a max ISO of 6400. Max ISO for the D3s and 1D Mark IV are also identical so please avoid posting misleading information.

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

actually there's more than those 3 levels now and my opinion varies differently from yours

Canon T1i > Nikon D5000
Nikon D300 > Canon 50D
Nikon D90 = Canon 7D
Canon 5D Mark II > Nikon D700
Canon 1D Mark IV = Nikon D3s
Nikon D3x > Canon 1D Mark IV

Of course they all have their pros and cons. As a beginner though, the Canon T1i is strongly recommended (bias aside). Read around and you will see that it is better than the D5000. Either way, you really can't go wrong. Both companies put out amazing products. If you decide to get more involved with photography, check out NT's Official Photography thread: http://niketalk.com/topic/223538?page=1

Sorry, I misread the Max ISO on the page. It says Max ISO with best quality.

Depends on what you want really.

Canon has better professional grade prime lenses (35L/85L/135L/200 f/2.0/300 f/2.8 etc), Nikon has caught up on the zooms and has an unrivaled ultra wide anglelens for full frame (14-24 f/2.8 is crazy)

Nikon has better dynamic range out of camera.

Canon has better AF now with the 7D and 1D4.

Canon has the 85L, there is no equal on the Nikon side. Best lens I have used for isolation and bokeh, my next lens.

For reference: I have a 5D Mark II with 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L IS and 35L lenses and I'm totally happy.

For starters I recommend the Rebel T1i, the kit 18-55IS lens is excellent. Instead of the 50mm f/1/8 as a second lens, I recommend the 35 f/2.0. On a cropsensor the 35 gives you more of a WYSIWYG field of view.

For a beginner, Nikon D90 or Canon T1i would probably the best bet (if you can afford it).

I own a Nikon so I would tell you to copp a Nikon D90. LOL. But Like every one already mentioned, you cant really go wrong with either one.

I just switched from Nikon to Canon. If you're making the long term investment into photography, I would say to go with Canon simply because there are morelenses, and they're less expensive.

Plus, Canon has the 85L.

EDIT: For the purpose of perspective, I'm the proud new owner of a Canon 1Ds Mark II and previously a Nikon D40x.

Back
Top Bottom