Career decision - On the road again..

So I just wanted to probe the community for insights on an opportunity that I am currently pondering.

As it stands, i'm lucky enough to work from home exclusively. I work 6-3. I make good money, save on gas, take classes to further my education etc.

I was recently offered a promotion and a slight raise(10k), to move into a higher tiered role that would require me to head back into the office on a 7-4 schedule.  My commute will be about 30min in the morning and 35-45min in the afternoon.  DC area, against traffic.

Thoughts, insights?

It's a complex question.

The main deciding factor is do you need the money? Or is the money worth the commute and being in the physical office setting?

Are you content at home? Are you more productive at home?

Do you feel you need a change of setting + income?

I understand it's a 10K raise but factoring in taxes / commute / time is it worth it?

Does this position open up other opportunities ?

How much of that 10K is really 10k?
Exactly.. I save about 3k off the bat in gas. Taxes im not sure.. and yes.. i would open up more opportunities I would think.  My biggest personal gripes are that.. my life is seamless and easy right now.. adding an unnecessary commute is unneccessary stress, no matter how large or small the commute.  But yes, the position would align me with a larger jump down the line at some point. My current position is kind of a deadend

It's a complex question.

The main deciding factor is do you need the money? Or is the money worth the commute and being in the physical office setting?

Are you content at home? Are you more productive at home?

Do you feel you need a change of setting + income?
I've definitely gotten complacent. and I think we always need the money, but its not a large enough amount to make a difference in my life really.  I have some trepidation in turning down the promotion however, as i dont want the higher ups to think im just resting on my laurels, content to sit at home in a position im over-qualified for

Let's do some math

10k is really 7k after taxes

7k is roughly an extra $3.50 an hour.

Also, let's keep in mind that you're sacrificing an extra hour a day (commute)

That you're not getting paid...

So...

7k - 3k in gas = 4k extra a year...

But take away an hour for commute (let's say your time is worth $3.50 an hour)

250 days x 1 hour per day x $3.50 an hour = $875... $1k for easy math...

So basically... Longer commute, more work, for an extra $3k, or $1.50 raise, $120 extra every paycheck

:\ :\

Last edited:
Let's do some math

10k is really 7k after taxes

7k is roughly an extra $3.50 an hour.

Also, let's keep in mind that you're sacrificing an extra hour a day (commute)

That you're not getting paid...

So...

7k - 3k in gas = 4k extra a year...

But take away an hour for commute (let's say your time is worth $3.50 an hour)

250 days x 1 hour per day x $3.50 an hour = $875... $1k for easy math...

So basically... Longer commute, more work, for an extra $3k, or $1.50 raise, $120 extra every paycheck

ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif
Yeah the money is inconsequential. It helps.. but im moreso focused on the "promotion" and turning it down aspect

Yeah the money is inconsequential. It helps.. but im moreso focused on the "promotion" and turning it down aspect
can you negotiate a larger increase?

Also, what about the schooling you go to? When do you graduate? Will that be effected?

What's the next step after the promotion? Are you going to be with the company for the next ten years? Rest of career?

Once you get the degree, will you get another promotion? Are they looking to give more money afterwards?

So I just wanted to probe the community for insights on an opportunity that I am currently pondering.

As it stands, i'm lucky enough to work from home exclusively. I work 6-3. I make good money, save on gas, take classes to further my education etc.

I was recently offered a promotion and a slight raise(10k), to move into a higher tiered role that would require me to head back into the office on a 7-4 schedule.  My commute will be about 30min in the morning and 35-45min in the afternoon.  DC area, against traffic.

Thoughts, insights?

I'd take the promotion.

Too easy when you said your current position is a dead end. Take the promotion if it opens up the opportunity to progress

Negotiate the pay

Push the envelope you'll never know till you take a shot fam

And how's the stress level in your field of work?

take the new offer
Nailed it. Sometimes you have to take a detour to get to your destination quicker.

I'm debating a job that is 50 miles away and the pay raise is laughable at $5k more a year. I'm considering because the opportunity would make me very marketable. I only work 7 miles from home at the moment, and career growth is average.

Yes take the job. This can even just benefit your resume. People like seeing others moving to higher up positions. You can use that as bargaining chips for other jobs to even get more money somewhere else.

take the job but try to negotiate for a higher increase. do you already have an offer?

sometimes you gotta make sacrifices for things you want for things you want even more.

working from home too much gives me cabin fever not sure how you do it 5 days a week 

can you negotiate a larger increase?

Also, what about the schooling you go to? When do you graduate? Will that be effected?

What's the next step after the promotion? Are you going to be with the company for the next ten years? Rest of career?

Once you get the degree, will you get another promotion? Are they looking to give more money afterwards?
I kinda screwed up. I had very little intention of taking the position at first, because I love working from home and the flexibility it gives me.. So when they called me, it caught me somewhat off-guard 1, 2- I just kinda went along with it to see what was the increase for the position.  Didnt heard anything for like 4 days.. then they hit me up this afternoon and sent me the offer.  So at this point.. i cant really negotiate it.. i feel an *** in that regard.

Main reason i'm considering it now, is because, as alot of you stated.. move forward.. always.. and for me to be singled out for a promotion and to turn it down.. I dont want that to resign me to the same position within this organization for who knows how long. Although im open to moving elsewhere, and this new position aligns me much better to do that than my current one.

Long-term.. there alot of places for me to move, but admittedly..its all dependent upon those above me continuing to move up and out as well.

The degree is probably another 2 years off.. its a slow roll. I never finished my undergrad.. so im just attempting to strengthen my profile
Negotiate the pay

Push the envelope you'll never know till you take a shot fam

And how's the stress level in your field of work?
Very minimal stress level if you can believe that.. Very chill work.  My stress level will rise somewhat if i take the new position.. its alot of deadlines and such. But I will be working directing underneath the CIO who will be able to better observe my contributions

working from home too much gives me cabin fever not sure how you do it 5 days a week 
It did for me at first too.. I got lazy as hell for a minute..not having to leave to do ish, sapped my will for awhile.  I still hit the streets on the weekends.. but weekdays i would always endup chilling waay too hard, for way too long.  I had to will myself out of it and back to the world.. hooping, working out etc.

Nailed it. Sometimes you have to take a detour to get to your destination quicker.

I'm debating a job that is 50 miles away and the pay raise is laughable at $5k more a year. I'm considering because the opportunity would make me very marketable. I only work 7 miles from home at the moment, and career growth is average.
Thank you for this
nthat.gif

If you have to ask, then its probably not worth it.
Interesting logic.  It's just very convenient to not HAVE to leave the crib.  I came from from Vegas in July.  Got home at 3am, wokeup at 11, logged in, and worked 6hours. Works well. Its just very difficult to move up where I am.. people just dont leave their positions, so if I pass it up, the next go round may be awhile. Which is fine, but could delay a longterm progression as well

You can negotiate an offer after receiving it, unless you already accepted the initial offer.

If you have to ask, then its probably not worth it.
I respectfully disagree. I never had a job offer where I said "hot dang, you got yourself a deal!" off the bat. It's a big decision. Any respectable firm can give you several days to think about it. I think hard on my part and ask those who I look up to. You realize that it's not just about money, because total compensation includes benefits, 401k plan, bonuses, etc. Going beyond that it's about the work culture and how you will fit in. These things are extremely hard to measure.

The only job offer I declined was when the would be boss pressured me to make a decision on the spot when he gave me a verbal offer. It was an easy decision to decline. If he's that pushy with me and I'm not even working for him, I'm not interested.

Thank you for this :nthat:
Good luck, my friend. It's all about your goals when it's all said and done. If you have no means to make more money (not trying to throw jabs here. I know folks who are happy with their 9-5 Monday-Friday making $XX,XXX knowing that they can get paid a lot more elsewhere, but may require longer hours and off shifts. They value their work/life balance and live modest lifestyles).

The concerning part to me is that it's a stagnant job. If they lay you off years from now, it may be hard to find something else since you won't be as marketable as others who have made moves in that time.

stay at home OP. That isn't enough money to justify the change IMO
I don't know how some of you guys can work from home :lol:

I would never get any job done and would feel like a bum not leaving the house. My work make us telecommute when we are sick so I make sure I never get sick :lol:

You can negotiate an offer after receiving it, unless you already accepted the initial offer.
Yep. Some places will give you a verbal offer first, while others will just shoot you an email with an offer. I've gone back and forth many times about this. Personally, if the pay raise is less than 20%, I try to counter somehow, be it a bigger bonus, or more days off, etc. This is one of the reason I always try to know the current market in my field so I can use relevant info.

Yeah you gotta play the game. A lot of people don't negotiate at all and are making much less than they should be. I'm not accepting an offer without negotiating period, unless its just that good of an offer.

Back
Top Bottom