Chicago Murder Rate Up 37% from Last yr: Enlist 3rd Party Group to Stem Murder Rate

Man, I'm here in Chicago right now and it's such a beautiful city!

It's such a shame
ohwell.gif

250 ! That's just crazy not to mention all the ppl that get shot.

My people's always ask me to come out there for the summer but I'm not with it. I'm not trying to get caught up in the hood politics out there.

How is the south shore dr area ?

Originally Posted by haddix

Hope this works out. Hate for chi to get on Detroit level.

I'd hope not either. Chicago has a lot of this going for it, so I doubt it would ever happen.

Originally Posted by SIZE TENS

...and it will continue to be glorified and props will be given to Chi with multiple 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Nothing will change cause people out there don't want it to.

March, hoot and holler but at the end of the day no one will snitch and no one will lift a finger to make a real change even if it is a small one in their own home.
this.

As of June 12 there were 967 people shot this year. It's over 1,000 now.
So yeah, if these fools actually had good aim it'd be even more ridiculous.

if our weather stays the same its gonna be a long summer

Originally Posted by Da R Entertainment

Originally Posted by BishopStrongBow

My mans just got shot last Thursday/Early Friday Morning on Rush basically a block away from Michigan Ave.

Dude, pulled up and asked what he was, and pulled out with no hesitation and gave my dude 2 in the ribs.

If you can't go downtown anymore without worrying about getting checked and busted at, where can we go?

I been lowkey this summer, D's and Cobras going at it by my hood cause the D's killed a 19 yr old Cobra cold blooded in the dome... It;s ugly out here
That pretty much sums it up here.

a friend of mine got shot because he didnt have a cigarette
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

That's a shame.
What makes y'all think some cities (with similar poverty rates) have so much higher of a murder rate than others?  I live in the D.C. area and while our "hoods" have been notorious for crime, people aren't getting shot at nearly the rate they are in Chicago or Philly.

This + random acts of violence everywhere. How does everyone feel about conceal and carry?? I feel like I need an AK every time I pass that McDonald's on Chicago and State.

I agree somewhat. The states with the laxest gun laws (the South) do seem to have less gun violence, because everybody isn't just a sitting duck I guess. That million they gave CeaseFire could also be better put to use, by hiring ~25 more police officers.

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

That's a shame.
What makes y'all think some cities (with similar poverty rates) have so much higher of a murder rate than others?  I live in the D.C. area and while our "hoods" have been notorious for crime, people aren't getting shot at nearly the rate they are in Chicago or Philly.

cause kids are realizing everyday that there is no hope---it don't even matter if u can hoop. you'll never get noticed cause everybody nice around here.most parts of the south and west sides literally look like 3rf world countries---these young boys that pull triggers don't have a conscience. you can't get out of this place. I even feel like there is no hope for me.now the news sayin black kids are takin iphones so when I go downtown or up north white people wanna look at me funny---and that +*!* make me wanna kill people I swear on my soul

Originally Posted by MrDoeBoI

250 ! That's just crazy not to mention all the ppl that get shot.

My people's always ask me to come out there for the summer but I'm not with it. I'm not trying to get caught up in the hood politics out there.

How is the south shore dr area ?

the eastside scares the @@+% outta me---im from englewood btw roseland southshore and Garfield park are all more dangerous than englewood don't believe the hype

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

I agree somewhat. The states with the laxest gun laws (the South) do seem to have less gun violence, because everybody isn't just a sitting duck I guess. That million they gave CeaseFire could also be better put to use, by hiring ~25 more police officers.
I think it may have more to do with the fact there's more land space in the south. In cities like Chicago poor people are literally stacked on top of each other, rival hoods/projects are literally a block up or in the same building.  Therefore finding your "enemy" isn't exactly a tough task.  Cities in the south, however, aren't really like that, you wont have 3 rival gangs fighting for control over one city block.
That's just my theory though.

Yea, overpopulation and limited resources as a trigger (no pun intended) to crime; I actually wrote a paper on that before.

The best summers I've ever experienced were in Chicago... but I have no plans of ever moving back.

That's a shame.

A lot of factors play into murder rates, including (but not limited to) poverty rate, concentration of poverty, unemployment, racial segregation, availability of low-income housing, the amount of public housing concentrated in specific areas, the history of gangs and organized crime, how the city responds to gangs and crime, the racial and economic composition of the city, etc.

Also, DC's murder rate (21.9) is higher than both Philly's (20.1) and Chicago's (16) and has been since at least 1985 (check out the FBI's Uniform Crime Report's data table creator).  Don't let the raw number of murders and publicity fool you.  Chicago has a tremendous amount of murders but compared to other cities, it's not "that bad" overall, although the murder rates in certain communities are astronomical.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

legalize gun carry laws....that should stem crime

But it doesn't...

I think it may have more to do with the fact there's more land space in the south. In cities like Chicago poor people are literally stacked on top of each other, rival hoods/projects are literally a block up or in the same building.  Therefore finding your "enemy" isn't exactly a tough task.  Cities in the south, however, aren't really like that, you wont have 3 rival gangs fighting for control over one city block.

It's more than just a theory bro.  You're absolutely correct that population density and concentration of poverty play a significant role in the level of violence in a particular area.

Overall, this is a step in the (general) right direction by the City of Chicago.  We cannot arrest and incarcerate away the problem of urban violence.  The United States already has (by far) the highest incarceration rate in the world, yet it also has (by far) the highest levels of violence of any Western country.  If prison were going to solve the issue of violence in this country, it would have done so long ago.

That being said, CeaseFire is not the ultimate answer either, in my opinion.  They do good work, I know plenty of people that work for them, and I have worked with them in various capacities throughout the years.  However, their approach to violence fails to address many of the root issues contributing to the high levels of violence that persist in our country's poorest cities and communities.  Until the deep sense of alienation and nihilism that has been built into the very beings of so many of the people in these communities through decades of social exclusion and economic marginalization is addressed, the astronomical levels of violence in those parts of our country most affected by these issues will remain...

Originally Posted by red mpls

But it doesn't...

It's more than just a theory bro.  You're absolutely correct that population density and concentration of poverty play a significant role in the level of violence in a particular area.
so explain NY's record low crime rates.....

Originally Posted by red mpls

But it doesn't...

so explain NY's record low crime rates.....

If you saw my previous post, those are two factors among many that contribute to rates of violence.

What are you suggesting is responsible for the decreases in violence in New York over the past 20 years?  I have my own answers that I will share but I will wait for your response...

i hate this post NT. My city has so much culture to it, from our music, dancing, food, and sports. its alot of stuff i did as a kid besides gangbang.
Yet all i ever see is Chicago be some murderers. I get that look from people from other urban cities like, this dude might kill me.
i cant stand it anymore, its not young black youths fault, that those older gangsters took advantage in the 80/90's left for better living,
and left a sickening culture of gangbang religion. Its deeper than you think when the state decided to tear down every housing project in the city,
they wear asking for this. BIG CORRUPT BUSINESS in the CHI, these politicians eat off these senseless murders. They aint tryna stop nothing.

Back
Top Bottom