CHICAGO RESIDENTS, I NEED SOME ADVICE.

I will be probably moving in Chicago soon to work downtown! Moving from Italy for 18 months. Any advice will be more than welcomed:

good neighborhoods
bad neighborhoods
things to do and see
weather forecast (lol)
anything that comes up on your mind

thanks

smile.gif

My favorite neighborhoods:

Lincoln Park
Lakeview
River North
Wicker Park

Weather: Volatile.

There are lots of things to see, depends on what you're into.

Little Italy along taylor st.
there's nice apts. there and its a pretty nice neighborhood overall.. mostly college students.

thanks everybody!

is it easy to reach places (work places etc) with mass transportation? is it more like a NY type thing (underground etc etc) or LA (messy traffic etc etc)...?

thanks again

There are trains that go basically everywhere. If you can't get a train, you can take the bus. You don't need a car to get around.

Are you looking to be on the north side or the south side?

I would rather stay in Italy, just to avoid the chi Extra cold winter.
laugh.gif

how about you give us pointers on how to relocate to Italy (or europe in general) lol.

Yeah the weather here is terrible at times. I still wore a jacket during the end of May since it was so cold.

But you should visit Millenium Park it is a very nice spot to see.

Naperville is a really good neighborhood, very friendly people and surburban and has crap load of places to keep you busy.

Glenview, Lincolnshire, and Schaumberg are also good neighborhoods.

If you want to see nice places to eat you should look at this thread.

http://niketalk.com/topic/93612

Hhahah and please take a look at my post in that thread, becuase i think i have a good variety of restaurants

Weather is unpredictable.
Where are you going to school at?
Public transportation can take you anywhere in the city.

Oh if you're looking at suburbs, the whole Northwest (Lake Forest, Deerfield, Lincolnshire, Buffalo Grove, Long Grove, Vernon Hills) are all great placesto raise kids.

Thanks again everybody!

Not going to study, i will be probably spending 18 months as an intern in a deluxe hotel downtown, therefore i need to be in some place where i can reachdowntown and still afford a rent. I'm looking to rent a room not an flat or condo.

I usually avoid "little italy" places since i'm too used to the original version of the stuff and i usually find the foreign version funny
smile.gif

I have been told weather is cold but oh well, it's just 18 months so i'm not scared about that.

As far as the places to relocate in italy...after you seen rome and all the major spots i would suggest to relocate in Sardinia....beautiful weather all yearround, and it's an island....truly a paradise....google it!

i would prefere the city to the suburbs, is downtown reachable from the suburbs in a normal time?

thanks!!!

smile.gif

^No, if you're going to work in the city and won't have car living in the suburbs is nothing short of ******ed. If you ballpark how much you'rewilling to spend and how big (like sq ft or bedrooms) I'm reasonably sure I could suggest how close or far from the city you can afford to live. Like whereI live in the Gold Coast, Michigan Ave. is maybe 3-4 blocks away and I have a studio thats like 550sq ft. thats just under 1k a month, it's basicallydowntown but downtown Chicago is reasonably large so it can be even more depending on the building and an exact area within downtown Chicago.

I don't live in chicago, but my uncles lives in the Lincoln Park area. That spot is live!! Bare stuff to do there!!

chicagotribune.com/homes

transitchicago.com

those sites should help a lot. what hotel will you be working at? I've spent most of my summers trying to convince downtown hotels to sell CTA VisitorPasses. I've never been to Italy but besides the weather, you might not want to leave.

You all being really helpful! ty!

rent could be anywhere between 500/650 dollars x month, i'm cool with a room with normal/decent people in a normal neighborhood let's say at most 30minutes away with a subway train (that in the rest of the world is pretty far).

Will it be possible?

thanks for the websites urls as well!

ty!

^Yeah. 30 mins. from downtown for that much I'd look at maybe Lakeview or Wicker Park both reasonably nice neighborhoods. Definitely not anywhere superclose to the heart of the city but still very urban all the same.

OK!

my move is really close now. I have a couple of options:

- studio type room unfurnished downtow for $ 850 per month with everything included but the energy.

- room in the ukrainian village for $ 650 per month with everything included but i haven't seen pictures yet.

- room with private bathroom and basically everything in rogerspark for $600 per month.

Is Rogers park basically in another state (lol) or will i be able to reach downtown in a resonable amout of time?

All your informations are again appreciated!

thanks!

thanks, what kind of neighborhood the u.v. is? What about rogerspark? i have seen pictures of that and it looks beautiful
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom