Chris Jackson.........vol. MAHMOUD ABDUL RAUF

He could be the most automatic shooters ever..he would have the free throw percentage record but he only attempted 1161 out of the necessary 1200 to qualify..
nerd.gif
dudes shot was butter.
sick.gif

Stern did him and the fans dirty.
mean.gif
Stern did do him wrong :smh:
he was really blackballed out the nba ?

I forgot how sick son was, that 50 pt vid was impressive. That vid of him shooting is insane, ever seen anything like it. I dont care what anyone says, if he's shooting that well, he can be on an nba squad right now. Couple of 40 year old cats still rolling; seeing him make a comeback would make me feel like a kid again. Never knew he went to lsu either.

Story of him beating MJ one on one in a college camp.  Coach was talking to all his players asking, "who is the best player here?"  Everyone there looks around and says "Michael Jordan".  Coach says "really", so coach picks Chris Jackson....tell MJ to guard him...first to 10 wins, make it take it.  MJ never got the ball

Dude was Curry before Curry, his stroke is unbelieveable. Off the dribble, spot up, in transition, wet. Watched his tape at LSU and was floored. When he got hot there was literally nothing you could do, he was the best player on an LSU team with a 19 year old Shaq.

The film of him killing the Jazz singlehanded, just filthy. Unfortunate he never really panned out after the incident, he shoulda been one of the top 3 best shooters in NBA history.

RT @KidKash202: RT @SteveKerrTNT: Great comparison! "@DerekBrian27: The space Stephen Curry creates reminds me of Chris Jackson aka Mahmoud_Abdul-Rauf "

RECOGNIZEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I am about to Look for the Michigan/LSU game. Chris TORCHED CWebb n Nem. Hopefully there is some footage.

Yo in all seriousness is a jumper like this taught or is it an ability learnt ? Watching these videos got me thinking that's more than shooting drills and honing your craft .

Yo in all seriousness is a jumper like this taught or is it an ability learnt ? Watching these videos got me thinking that's more than shooting drills and honing your craft .

I think the Tourette's had a lot to do with it, it fueled him to strive for perfection. Similar to Ray Allen with his OCD.

Rauf's game stood out to me so much back in the day. Didn't know he had a little fan club here on NT.

I remember reading that he was so obsessed with being perfect that he used to quickly place his hand on a burning stove to create the same type of indentation in the fire in successive attempts. I hope I can find it somewhere/somehow.

Some quotes from an article I'm reading

He shot hundreds of free throws every day, perfecting the arc of the ball and the way it would hit the net—that is, the ball could never touch the rim. His methodic training was both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because the work eventually would make him one of the greatest free-throw shooters in the NBA; a curse because the meticulous way he went about practices flowed from Tourette's syndrome, a neurological disorder that creates uncontrollable bodily tics. In some patients, like Chris, it makes the brain set unreasonable goals: When he shot those free throws, each one had to feel right. Feel right in the creases of his fingers, in the palm of his right hand, in the webbing between his thumb and index finger. He shot until everything, everything, was perfect.

Years later, at Gulfport High School, the basketball coach offered his players an incentive: They could shave minutes off practice by hitting consecutive free throws. Every successful consecutive shot meant less running and fewer drills. One day Chris was the shooter. He made 283 shots in a row. Practice was cancelled that day.

"Sometimes, it'd get so cold outside, but I refused to leave," Abdul-Rauf says, watching the kid, but seeing himself. "I dribbled that ball around, shot from the outside, the inside. Step in, then back, and POW! nail that shot. But it was so cold. I'd start shivering. My hands would freeze and it hurt to move them." He balls his hands into a gnarled mess of knuckles and fingers. "After I was done, I'd dribble that ball home, through the legs, around the back. Keep that defender off me. Dribble down the street, people trying to sell you marijuana—'Hey, boy, try this'—ignore them, keep dribbling that ball, don't let it get away. Head up."

FULL ARTICLE

http://www.5280.com/magazine/2007/10/conversion-chris-jackson?page=0,5

I remember reading that he was so obsessed with being perfect that he used to quickly place his hand on a burning stove to create the same type of indentation in the fire in successive attempts. I hope I can find it somewhere/somehow.

Here you go:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1137903/1/index.htm

Also, from the original 1989 S.I. article from his freshman year:

Forget for a moment Jackson's 48 points in his third varsity game, a 111-109 overtime loss to Louisiana Tech. Forget his already mythic NCAA freshman-record 53 points in his fifth game, a 111-101 victory at Florida. Put aside the memories of his scoring 15 of LSU's last 17 points at Maryland or every one of the Tigers' final 16 at Kentucky. Or even his incredible 50 points last Saturday against Tennessee in a crucial SEC game that put the Tigers one game ahead in the conference.

Discard all that and focus on the Louisiana Superdome three Saturdays ago. As a crowd of 54,321, the largest ever to see a regular-season college game, looked on in amazement, powerful Georgetown, with its own standout freshman, 6'10" center Alonzo Mourning, threw everything at Jackson but John Thompson's towel and walk-out shoes. Still, the LSU kid with the fancy moves scored 26 points as the Tigers beat the Hoyas 82-80.

"I never knew which way Chris was going," said Mourning. "He puts you in a triple-threat position. You don't know whether he's pulling up to shoot or to pass, or whether he'll keep driving inside or what. Then, which side? Where? He's everywhere. Give him one step and it's over. And I think he's the best shooter in the country."

Here was his 88-89 freshman year...back when freshman did not do this.

32 G, 11.2 FG, 23.1 FGA, .486 FG%, 2.6 3P, 3.4 REB, 4.1 AST, 1.7 STL, 30.2 PPG

How different were the times back then? Check this out:

1988-89 First Team All America
Danny Ferry, Duke - Senior
Pervis Ellison, Louisville - Senior
Stacey King, Oklahoma - Senior
Sean Elliot, Arizona - Senior
Chris Jackson, LSU - Freshman

Back
Top Bottom