Cops Serve Warrant To Wrong Man,Tase Him, Realize, Lie, then Arrest Anyways for Obstruction vol. I k

Even when you expect it to be ridiculous, it's unbelievably ridiculous. They also claim the above video is edited. They release their versions of the footage here

http://www.wjcl.com/article/scmpd-responds-to-released-body-camera-video-of-tasing/978088
Savannah, Ga. (WJCL) — A war of words and videos has erupted between a local attorney and SCMPD regarding an incident where a man was tasered on Martha Street. The incident appears to have been captured on the body cameras of several responding officers.

Advertisement

The attorney, Will Claiborne, claims the man was tasered by officers with little or no cause. SCMPD says the attorney is misrepresenting the incident entirely, but that they are looking into how it unfolded.

Watch Claiborne's YouTube video here.

This all surrounds a warrant check back on February.

The law firm's video claims Patrick Mumford was tased, after being mistaken for another man, Michael Clay. Here is their version of eventsMeanwhile, the department says the video is highly edited and a gross misrepresentation of what unfolded at the time. They say the uncooperative man moved in a way that threatened the officers and they were forced to use a taser on him. SCMPD says it is investigating the incident.

The competing videos, the edited one from the law firm, and SCMPD videos from body cameras were posted to social media about 5 hours apart. Those can be seen here:

VIDEO: SCMPD Martha St. Body Camera #1

VIDEO: SCMPD Martha St. Body Camera #2

VIDEO: SCMPD Martha St. Body Camera #3

SCMPD then released the following statement:

“Earlier today, a local defense attorney released an edited version of a SCMPD officer’s body worn camera video.

Because the edited version is misleading, is apparently intended to be inflammatory, and to continue our transparency with the community, the SCMPD is releasing all of the body camera video of the incident.

On February 1, 2016 at approximately 5:30 p.m. three officers were dispatched to a residence on the 3200 block of Martha Street to locate an individual at a specific address who according to detectives in Delano, California, had been in possession of a cell phone involved in robbery in California. While in route, the officers completed a warrant check on the named individual and learned there was an active Simple Assault warrant out of Cobb County. Upon entering the driveway a person who resembled the wanted person was observed seated in a car.

As you will see on the video, the officers spoke with the individual and requested his name. The individual was uncooperative and although he presented a first name at some point, it was unclear to the officers. As you will also see in the video after the individual was asked to get out of the car, he refused to exit the car, was uncooperative, and reached down toward the floorboard of the car in a manner which the officers perceived as a threat to their safety. After warning the individual several times, one of the officers tased the suspect and arrested him.

The video released by the defense attorney was edited and omits significant portions wherein a relative asks the individual to be cooperative. The relative on the video also suggests the arrestee is similar in appearance to the wanted person, who purportedly lived at that residence. The edited video also omits other calm interactions the officers had with relatives and the arrestee.

In order to continue our transparency with the public, the SCMPD has posted the video recordings in their entirety from all three officers who were on the scene in question.

The incident and video was brought to the attention to the Chief of Police on July 12, 2016 and we have begun an administrative investigation of this incident.

Police officers nation-wide face complex duties which require them to make decisions in an instant. They must simultaneously decide how to protect the public, the involved citizens, and protect their own safety.

We are reviewing the actions and decisions which our officers made in the current case. In doing so, we must consider all the facts and not rush to unfair judgements based on highly edited videos which are apparently intended to mislead and inflame the public against the officers involved.

SCMPD is committed to fairness, transparency and accountability. We ask that everyone involved in this incident, and similar ones involving conflicts between the police and the public, be committed to these same goals, and held to these same standards.

The SCMPD will not comment further until we complete our administrative investigation.”

Claiborne says he is not sure if his firm will officially represent Mumford, but for now he is speaking as an advocate for him.

"We let the video speak for itself," Claiborne said. "These two gentlemen don't look anything like each other. Patrick was minding his own business, sitting in a car that he owns, in a driveway of a house where he resides. Law enforcement came upon him, they were immediately aggressive, it speaks for itself."

Claiborne maintains that the officers were the ones who were aggressive during the situation.

"Patrick tells them the truth, and they never ask him for his ID. They assume he's lying and falsely arrest him...young black men who reach for their back pocket to get their wallets have bad things happen to them, so what was Patrick supposed to do?"

WJCL will keep this story updated with further developments.

Last edited:
Messed up. like in a perfect world we wouldn't live in a police state where you have to identify yourself of your just sitting in a car doing nothing wrong, but I'm not giving any cops any reason to do anything with me. It's terrible but hey I'm reciting my name, Ssn height weight.

Last edited:
Wow.

The approach with these cops is terrible!

Warrant out or not, if they were cordial instead of aggressive, the outcome will likely be positive for everybody.

Some beginner level human psychology needs to be taught as a form competency, perhaps every 6 month. They simply do not know how to engage people.

Luckily, it was recorded. Hopefully the homie will be compensated accordingly.

Last edited:
do we have photos of Micheal Clay? 
taser16n-4-web.jpg

Why not just let him go? son's life could potentially be ruined over nothing. Our livelihood and hence our lives mean nothing to these people.

Messed up. like in a perfect world we wouldn't live in a police state where you have to identify yourself of your just sitting in a car doing nothing wrong, but I'm not giving any cops any reason to do anything with me. It's terrible but hey I'm reciting my name, Ssn height weight.

Dude, none of that matters man. This is the problem, we can do everything right they will still find a way to **** on us. Besides the fact that they are out there killing us, they are still ******* with our lives when they don't. These men who are arrested falsely and for bs charges risk losing their jobs, paying god knows how much money out of pocket for lawyer fees, fines etc. When it is all said and done, a person's way livelihood is ****** up. This isn't right at all.

Wow.

The approach with these cops is terrible!

Warrant out or not, if they were cordial instead of aggressive, the outcome will likely be positive for everybody.

Some beginner level human psychology needs to be taught as a form competency, perhaps every 6 month. They simply do not know how to engage people.

Luckily, it was recorded. Hopefully the homie will be compensated accordingly.

You hit the nail on the head man. How many of these encounters would end peacefully if their approach was different? They come out the gate attacking us and when they are wrong and we respond to that it is a wrap for us. I still want to see the initial encounters police had with Alton Sterling and Philando Castle. They say their body cams fell off during the scuffle, but what happened prior to that when they first approached him? Why hasn't that been shown yet, along with dash cam footage?

Same goes for Philando, I know MN doesn't have the body cams, but their must be dash cam video right? WHere is that so we can see what really transpired during that encounter? All this **** makes me ******* sick. Either they are killing us, locking us up on bs, or straight ruining our lives. How many brothers are out there that if they get caught up on some bs from the cops could lose their jobs, and ruin what they have? Then what is the next option for them? :smh:

Look like, :smh:. If these are the people serving and protecting us we need to make some real changes man. How in all hell can they justify arresting him for obstruction?

Why not just let him go? son's life could potentially be ruined over nothing. Our livelihood and hence our lives mean nothing to these people.
he was on probation for a weed charge in 2014, in college and a mechanic, but as a result of the arrest he had to drop out of college, lost his job, and his probation could be revoked and a judge could give him up to 7 yrs.

You can hear the cop at the hospital *****ing about his taser getting stuck in dude's back. And earlirr besides lying 4x about asking for id to his family/neighbors, he has the nerve to try to convince them those 2 look alike

Hes lucky they didnt shoot his ***.

Were they ridin around lookin for dude and thot it was him or did they have that address where he was at in the warrant?

Crazy how homie ASKED for the warrant and they still didnt show it.

and people still wonder why is a distrust with the police :smh:

I hope that kid sues the whole dept.

SMH.... THAT was Shameful poor Behavior by those Cops/Police...or so called cops...they are lucky....

Hopefully that young mans Lawyer Eats that Case up.....hope he gets right n get str8...

As A Citizen of the United States you have An Absolute Divine Right to Resist a False Arrest....

Hope those punks are fired...

White people think we make this up :lol:. I'm certain they'll find a way to "justify it".

Police outchea lying thru their teeth....and he can't eem doing nothing. My man got humiliated, tasted, roughed up and arrested.

Hope my boy Patrick gets hit offf with a nice bag for this bs. Imagine if the boys had the blickie instead of a taser :smh:.

White people think we make this up :lol:. I'm certain they'll find a way to "justify it".

Police outchea lying thru their teeth....and he can't eem doing nothing. My man got humiliated, tasted, roughed up and arrested.

Hope my boy Patrick gets hit offf with a nice bag for this bs. Imagine if the boys had the blickie instead of a taser :smh:.
You already know.

I mean...they just ran up on him unsolicited, assaulted him, saw he was the wrong man then tried to pump fake about it.

They'll bring up all his past incidents to justify treating this man sub-humanly and life will continue on. "B-b-b-b-but there are good cops too!"....like I care

Soooo many things wrong with this video.

1. no warrant

2. wrong person

3. even when told and confirmed the person was wrong, police are always right

4. never asked for id, but lied and said he did 4 times

5. he probably wasn't read his miranda rights either

6. tased

7. police tried to convince everyone that he was right and that we all look alike

8. it seemed like a big joke to them.

9. ruined a man's life, again, and nothing happens.

Fam was trying to live his life and stay the course. They came and took that away. Then they want to say 'stop making excuses' when people say the street is their only option.

**** these pigs man.

It's so easy to succumb to anger and frustration and wish death on these white Devils but I know that's not the way.

It's hard though man **** feels helpless.

Back
Top Bottom