Credit iis Overrated (vol. Focus on your bank account)

Credit if used correctly, is a powerful tool.

I haven't paid for an overseas flight in a few years based on my credit alone.

Absolutely terrible advice.
It is possible to own and use credit cards without spending way beyond your means or carrying a huge balance with a huge APR.  

It's just a matter of not being a dumb-*@+.

Also,  
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 @ "Your car payment is keeping you from being a multi-millionaire."   

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by BrotherForReal

buying a house in cash is stupid because you still have to pay property tax and insurance so you're not really out of debt. Im 3 almost 4 years into a 30 yr but will be done in 12-15 if I keep sending more. I usually send my tax return right to the principal.

Credit>Cash. My highest interest rate on any of my cards is 11% but if I have a balance they're on 0% cards.

Buying in bulk on credit>Buying in cash
I know, it was aimed at the "credit is overrated" crowd.  Hard to get a mortgage with no credit.

Have a friend who just got his first credit card, he turns 27 in April.  A lifetime "cash" guy.  Good luck building that credit.

I had rough patches with credit in college, but once I got a stable job I turned the tables.  800+ across the board for me,
glasses.gif

If he has a rewards card have him pay all his bills (those allowed) with a credit card and everything else like gas, food, groceries. It's usually .1 cent of cashback you get but certain categories can get .5 cents on the dollar. I have a few but I stick to my amazon visa for most and pay for my ps3 games with the rewards. My worldpoints for travel as its catered to air mileage rewards.
Credit is the greatest thing in responsible hands. You pay cash for stuff thats where the proverbial buck stops. With credit cards you can dispute transactions where if paid with cash you'd probably be S.O.L.

I went to get my pre-approval for a home loan last month and 1 of my credit scores dropped from like an 820 to 780
mad.gif

I think the majority of you saying credit is a great tool, its not bad etc etc are failing to realize that the majority of ppl ARE NOT using it wisely

You can use debt as leverage for a lot of things, but like someone said earlier, if you cant afford it without the credit, dont buy it with

How can it be bad advice to NOT buy a car on credit, but to pay cash and save the rest of your money? Or that as a college student you should avoid CCs completely? Wait till you get outa school and get that job, your credit score doesnt determine your life
laugh.gif

If he has a rewards card have him pay all his bills (those allowed) with a credit card and everything else like gas, food, groceries. It's usually .1 cent of cashback you get but certain categories can get .5 cents on the dollar. I have a few but I stick to my amazon visa for most and pay for my ps3 games with the rewards. My worldpoints for travel as its catered to air mileage rewards.
laugh.gif
, he's a lost cause.  He only has it for "emergencies" only.  Emergencies don't build credit.  "Why u no listen?"

I just have an AMEX (Costco) and Chase Freedom that I use frequently and pay off every month.

get off that OP credit is a must if you can make it happen. you never know when youre going to need it especially with a family on deck it helps cash isnt always an option .

Originally Posted by foreveryoung

I think the majority of you saying credit is a great tool, its not bad etc etc are failing to realize that the majority of ppl ARE NOT using it wisely

You can use debt as leverage for a lot of things, but like someone said earlier, if you cant afford it without the credit, dont buy it with

How can it be bad advice to NOT buy a car on credit, but to pay cash and save the rest of your money? Or that as a college student you should avoid CCs completely? Wait till you get outa school and get that job, your credit score doesnt determine your life
laugh.gif

And it's a guarantee NTers will be better off paying cash for everything?

So your saying that if you can't afford a house without a credit, don't buy one? How many people in the world actually buys houses only when they have the cash to pay it all off? Or on a car?

Everyones situation is different. Like that one dude who made a thread about getting a $9k loan because he needed a moderately nice car which was necessary for his job to drive clients around. If he doesn't have the cash he'd be stuck with an 85 Accord and probably lose or jeopardize his job. He has to get a loan, a credit line. If he paid cash his whole life and has no built credit, he'd be screwed and might be out of a job. Emergencies happens all the time.

If I want to get a loan to get a nicer car and have a 5-year loan of $300/month at 2.5% interest, that isn't a problem if it is only about 10%-20% of my salary and it certainly isn't the factor that's preventing me from becoming a millionaire.

Just like anything else, there is a good and a bad but it all depends on how responsible a person is. It's better to give advice on starting a good and responsible habit than going on the extreme on either end.

laugh.gif
I'm pretty sure most to all of us are aware that the majority of whom are in debt are clearly not using it wisely...
I purchased my last two vehicles on credit with a moderate down. Due to that, the "cash" that I didn't choose to pay upfront became liquidity and was mostly invested into stocks & bonds that accrued over time essentially negating any and all of the minimal interest from the car loan. Credit can become a perpetual advantage if used accordingly. Unfortunately, not everyone has the same mentality nor is in the same situation/position as the person next to him/her...

Originally Posted by 2SeatPort

nerd.gif
I still have student loans so I'm using them to build my credit, which I hope I'll never need.

Banks have already tried to $*#(@& with me even without using any of their stupid credit cards.  My student loans changed servicers on THE DAY MY interest began accruing, and I couldn't even make a payment for a week while they were processing the change from Citi to Sallie Mae.  $50 right there
mad.gif
  I complained but haven't gotten a follow up yet.  Also when Wamu became chase my "free" checking account began charging $7 a month that took me 2 months and 5-10 hours on the phone/visiting a branch to get removed.  Couldn't even recoup both month's payments either.

Also,  keep in mind that banks would have no incentive to offer these "rewards" programs if they aren't making an absolute KILLING off of people using these cards.  It's such an insult to consumer intelligence.  1% cash back huh? whats your interest rate? 10% +?  So even if I stay on top of zeroing out my balance every month I'm paying 99% of what I would have paid and won't see the 1% back for a year, while the bank that hooked you with a stupid incentive at a minimal 1% risk to them that will be completely offset if you don't pay/forget to pay one month.  $(*#& outta here
laugh.gif

And all that other "I get free flights though" blah blah blah... Either you've paid more in interest than those flights were worth or you played their game and bought *$#@ you didn't need just to get those points, or they're targeting you for their even bigger plan of financing a car or home loan through them cause you think they are cool because of your little perk.   At the very least they are pestering you with "better financing deals".  F*** credit cards.
Fortunately, I never had a student loan due to Florida Pre-Paid and Bright Futures. However, I do know a lot of people who are still paying their debts strictly from them and am aware that it can be quite a burden...
As for $7 a month, that's really not that bad for an institution that should have been charging you in the first place as they are, indeed, offering you a service. In regards to rewards/incentives, I don't know about you, but I'd rather be acquiring something as opposed to nothing where I'd be paying the same amount otherwise. Many basic reward programs do not even have annual fees and based on your credit score, APR can be at a very minimum. You need to understand that you are essentially paying a "tax". If used appropriately, it can provide dividends. Not every credit lender is the same so it boils down to what works in your favor. Despite this, many will still see credit as "free money" and particular lenders will still take advantage of it...

Originally Posted by RFX45

laugh.gif

So your saying that if you can't afford a house without a credit, don't buy one? How many people in the world actually buys houses only when they have the cash to pay it all off? Or on a car?

Everyones situation is different. Like that one dude who made a thread about getting a $9k loan because he needed a moderately nice car which was necessary for his job to drive clients around. If he doesn't have the cash he'd be stuck with an 85 Accord and probably lose or jeopardize his job. He has to get a loan, a credit line. If he paid cash his whole life and has no built credit, he'd be screwed and might be out of a job. Emergencies happens all the time.

If I want to get a loan to get a nicer car and have a 5-year loan of $300/month at 2.5% interest, that isn't a problem if it is only about 10%-20% of my salary and it certainly isn't the factor that's preventing me from becoming a millionaire.

Just like anything else, there is a good and a bad but it all depends on how responsible a person is. It's better to give advice on starting a good and responsible habit than going on the extreme on either end.
I rarely, if ever agree with you BUT you hit the nail on the head.
Like really? I think we'd all be homeless if we didnt have credit to purchase our homes. Hell, you need good credit to RENT! How do you build credit without credit?

I couldn't afford a house full of appliances but I did using my credit to get me 0% interest for 3 years. Of course I paid it off faster but why not use someone else's money? It's just like saving in a way. I have to build back up 3k in cash vs paying $85 a month.

Buying shoes, polo, i-everything with no financial discipline is where people go wrong. But to say credit is overrated must not have much.

I def see what youre saying, and I agree about not taking it to either extreme. But when I think of a good habit I think of saving your money, not learning how to get and mng a good credit score, which is what I think we're all bein fed and what OPs point is. We're not being taught the principle of make and save. And im not sayin that like im some genius millionaire
laugh.gif
Im just learning this as well

As far as dude with the car; I dunno the circumstances but I agree credit can and should be used in some situations, but as leverage not a crutch. In that situation it sounds like dude is using credit as leverage to further his career. On the other hand, when you say what if you wanted a nicer car, credit could help you afford one. I'd ask why would you want a nicer car? And the fact that you say you could use credit to get one kinda shows OPs point

You say credit is needed for emergencies. 9/10 a nicer car isnt an emergency. Thats the thing too tho, when you have that credit in your back pocket, everything becomes an emergency(forgot cash, kids need new shoes, Christmas
laugh.gif
) Those of you who do have things borrowed or paid with CC i'd ask how much do you got put away, and if you lost your income(layoff, injury etc) could you still afford the payments? If so then good for you for real. Like yall said it has some benefits.

And no im not saying everybody should buy their house cash. I realize most ppl couldnt do that unless they saved for a decent amt of time. But ppl look at their current incomes and think they can afford a mortgage, even tho they have NO money saved. They cant afford the house, but with credit they can still get it. Im just sayin you should buy a house based on your financial position, not what youre credit score qualifies you for

That being said, I dont think anyone is arguing that credit/debt isnt a necessity. Most if not all major corps have 100s of millions of dollars in credit and loans, hell the US as a whole is ran on credit
laugh.gif
. But it is OVERRATED. Teaching dudes that they should get CCs and loans while their young just for the purpose of building a credit score, or earning 'points', is not good advice

As far as dude with the car; I dunno the circumstances but I agree credit can and should be used in some situations, but as leverage not a crutch. In that situation it sounds like dude is using credit as leverage to further his career. On the other hand, when you say what if you wanted a nicer car, credit could help you afford one. I'd ask why would you want a nicer car? And the fact that you say you could use credit to get one kinda shows OPs point

You say credit is needed for emergencies. 9/10 a nicer car isnt an emergency. Thats the thing too tho, when you have that credit in your back pocket, everything becomes an emergency(forgot cash, kids need new shoes, Christmas
laugh.gif
) Those of you who do have things borrowed or paid with CC i'd ask how much do you got put away, and if you lost your income(layoff, injury etc) could you still afford the payments? If so then good for you for real. Like yall said it has some benefits.
I want a nicer car because I feel that I could afford it. It won't be a crutch in my situation. Again, it is about discipline and responsibilities. I know that I can have a car note and not miss a single meal or eat ramen for a week to afford my next mortgage. Me personally, could I afford to pay cash for a car? Sure but would I? Chances are, no. I can get a good rate because I took care of my credit history and can have low payments. Instead of paying $35k cash on a car, I'd rather get that 2.5% rate pay it in 5 years and save up and put the cash in case of emergency or as an investment. I really would rather have that cash on hand than losing it right away. Like most say here, cars depreciate as soon as you drive them off the lot so if you pay cash that is like throwing away cash right away.

Either way, I could get a nice car and still have some cash in my pocket. Overall, I know I'll be paying more for the car in the long run but I am ok with that and could afford it and take a risk in investing the money while paying the car note. I am smart enough to know that $35k on a car is manageable or else I'll buy a cheaper car and I think that is what people need to learn. Living within their means but that doesn't always necessarily mean just buying things that you can afford with cash because there are ways to utilize credit to your advantage.  And OPs post seems like that is what he is trying ti promote, paying cash for everything.

And no im not saying everybody should buy their house cash. I realize most ppl couldnt do that unless they saved for a decent amt of time. But ppl look at their current incomes and think they can afford a mortgage, even tho they have NO money saved. They cant afford the house, but with credit they can still get it. Im just sayin you should buy a house based on your financial position, not what youre credit score qualifies you for
That is where responsibility and discipline that hopefully these people learn will kick in. See, buying house these days doesn't just require you to have great credit, everything else like your salary and debt play a big role too. Just because you have a credit score of 800+ doesn't guarantee you can get a $500k loan if you're making $30k a year, especially in this economy. But if you want a $150k house loan even with a $30k a year salary, then that good credit will help you buy that house. With bad credit, it will be very difficult to get that loan. All I am saying is good credit is a necessity and can be very helpful and I think we both agree on that.

That being said, I dont think anyone is arguing that credit/debt isnt a necessity. Most if not all major corps have 100s of millions of dollars in credit and loans, hell the US as a whole is ran on credit
laugh.gif
. But it is OVERRATED. Teaching dudes that they should get CCs and loans while their young just for the purpose of building a credit score, or earning 'points', is not good advice

To be honest, that sounds exactly like what OP is saying. I've read enough stuff on NT to know that some NTers really do feel that you do not need credit and that cash is the only way to succeed. No one is teaching anyone here to get a cc to every department stores they step foot in but no one should be telling them not to get a cc in their life either.

I know a few people out there that lives paycheck to paycheck and I know a lot of people in this country are the same way and if they paid cash for everything, they will have absolutely nothing saved up. I know someone who literally get paid enough for rent, food and utilities and a few necessities and barely breaks even every month. By using their their cc on groceries/necessities instead of full cash, they can pay it off slowly and save up a few bucks a month and for a rainy day. And yes, she manages to save up money because of this method.

Its so many people living pay check to paycheck when they really dont have too especially younger people. I keep my bills low low. See when i was younger I only made say $10 but I head a nice apartment furniture car and was never ever broke. I had more free money on hand then some people making $16 hour easily.

I always keep my living expenses lower then what I make, thats why I never give a dang if I lose quit my job. Most people couldnt understand how I could go without a job for months and months and still have my bill paid...LOL

Also always find a side hustle as well. See I was making $10 a hour but my bills and gas rent only came to about $650 a month or so. and I had a side hustle of like $100 a week.. I had more money then most..

But now I'm almost a millionaire because I made a good on investment

Having available credit is important, for emergency purposes. I don't recommend utilizing it frequently or regularly.

Originally Posted by xilegacy

That's why I only use American Express so everything is paid off in full.
Amex ftw! I still don't know what to do with all the membership rewards points

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Having available credit is important, for emergency purposes. I don't recommend utilizing it frequently or regularly.

Racking up debt in emergencies is the worst time to utilize it.  People who use their credit card in emergencies are those who aren't properly prepared with an emergency fund.  Most "emergencies" can be avoided with a properly funded emergency fund of 3-6 months.

Originally Posted by sniper

laugh.gif
 at thinking "Cash is King"...
Please don't suggest that people entering the "credit-world" cease before they even start. You'd be setting them up for an assortment of hardships later on in life...
Because the 70% of people who don't pay off their debt each month are better off because of it?

Originally Posted by crcballer55

There have been many posts lately about buildingcredit.� To all the young guys, this isthe wrong question to ask yourself.� Hereare several reasons I’ve collected to avoid debt and eventually pay for thethings you want in cash.� It will takesome sacrifice of convenience and image, but doing these things will allow youto multiply your money exponentially over the long run.

1)��� 1) You spend 12% more on average when you useplastic vs. cash.

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2008/09/23/research-reveals-credit-cards-encourage-spending/

2)���� 2) The average household carried a balance ofalmost $16K on their credit cards with an APR of 14.89% which would bring thefinance charge to over $2300/yr.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...ustry-facts-personal-debt-statistics-1276.php

3)��� 3) You could be driving free cars for what yourpayments are costing you.� Your carpayment is likely keeping you from being a multimillionaire later on.

ad

1)���� 4) You can pay for college with scholarships and byworking� This guy has a great story thatI highly recommend.� Amazon product ASIN 1591842980
2)�����5) It is possible to get a mortgage, but you willneed to find a company that will manually underwrite your loan.� This means that the large banks won’t be ableto give you a mortgage, but I would be fine with that after dealing withseveral of them during multiple modification attempts for people.

Straight up silliness...I hope NT'ers aren't gullible enough to listen to this trash financial rhetoric.  And lest you think I'm just out to bash someone, I'll offer a reasonably thought out rebuttal of some of the OP's points.
1. Yes, credit cards can be a death trap. But if a credit card can drive you to spend more, then its not the card thats the problem its the person. Credit cards can be a great tool if used properly.

2. Once again...the problem isn't the credit card...its the person. Listen...I use credit cards almost exclusively. Why? Because, it helps me average 2.1% cash back on my spending over the course of a year. Do you want to know what my APR is? I coudn't tell you, because I don't know. Reason being, I don't care. The APR could be 50% and it wouldn't matter to me, because I never carry a balance on any of my cards. I let the cards work for me. Stupid people use credit to dig themselves into a whole. Smart people use credit intelligently.

3. Hmmm....Free cars. Hmm. Well, I know my credit is stellar and I'm eligible for the best rates available. You know...those teaser rates that you hear on the commercial and then get to the lot to realize you're not approved for...0.0%, 0.9%, 1.9%...Yeah, I can get those. So with interest rates like that, it doesn't pay for me to pay off my car. I can use whatever money I would've spent paying it down and buy an investment that will more than cover the measley interest rate im paying on my car.

5. Chances are...without a trustfund, or money from the sale of a previous house, none of us will ever amass enough money to buy a house outright. Financing IS necessary. You are going to need a mortgage. If you try to get one without a credit history. Good luck.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Racking up debt in emergencies is the worst time to utilize it.  People who use their credit card in emergencies are those who aren't properly prepared with an emergency fund.  Most "emergencies" can be avoided with a properly funded emergency fund of 3-6 months.
What amount $-wise are you talking?

Back
Top Bottom