Daft Punk officially on Columbia

album is Fire in my opinion. windows down on the highway, it BUMPS 
pimp.gif

I seem to be the only person not really feeling the album overall. I like Touch and Lose Yourself to Dance, but most of the album to me is just not very captivating at all. Very sleepy. And while I was obviously expecting something a little more upbeat, even readjusting my expectations after the first couple listens I still come away underwhelmed. There is some good musicianship and interesting arrangements but a lot of the songs drag on and don't really go anywhere, especially Doing It Right.

:smh: so many overnight Daft Punk fans in here (FB/Twitter too) hating on the new album with no valid counterpoints...do you even have any albums/mixes on your computer besides Discovery, Alive 2007, & the Tron Legacy soundtrack?

Last edited:
:smh: so many overnight Daft Punk fans in here (FB/Twitter too) hating on the new album with no valid counterpoints...do you even have any albums/mixes on your computer besides Discovery, Alive 2007, & the Tron Legacy soundtrack?

A lot of the "Daft Fans" (the "fans" thats have only heard around the world and one more time) are the same ones that just started to listening to electronic music. They were probably expecting their music to sound what the mainstream is pumping out right now. Daft went away from that.

Is there a video out for get lucky or only the promo vid ?

Side note its not my cup of tea but my grandparents and aunt and uncles love this album lol. Went to pick them up from the n.o. Airport and played it twice in a row on the drive back they told me to pull up to best buy and they bought 5 copies of this for themselves ( they don't do iTunes) also put them on janelle Monae too

you just named most of their albums tho...

And I don't get the "hate" on ppl that heard the singles from discovery and didn't like ram. First off, it's unrealistic that these would be casual fans because the distance between albums is too long (no pun). Face it, some ppl dislike the album because it wasn't what they wanted.

I personally wanted another discoveryish type of album. This album is the exact opposite of human after all. Discovery was their best balance IMO.
Nothing was wrong with it to warrant the elitism that some ppl have because they like RAM.

Just my opinion. It's not that serious. I didn't like human after all like that (I like it more than RAM tho) but once they mixed it up with discovery and homework it all made sense. Same with this album IMO. Once RAM is mixed with homework, discovery, human after all and the Tron soundtrack it's a wrap.

That will be worth the hype and the wait. This album was not IMO.

1st time listening to these guys. Their latest album is tight. Doin' It Right is my favorite off the album
honestly, Alive 2007 is better in every way. Ride through the city at night and listen to that album.
I feel like this album doesn't do daft punk justice...but something like alive does.

A lot of the "Daft Fans" (the "fans" thats have only heard around the world and one more time) are the same ones that just started to listening to electronic music. They were probably expecting their music to sound what the mainstream is pumping out right now. Daft went away from that.
AMEN!  They really not about that EDM life so when they here songs that arent generic American takes on current european trends they don't like it.

I don't think it's that either.

Their last album, unless you count the Tron soundtrack and alive 2007 album which were remixes so to speak was human after all. That came out too long ago for ppl to say that these new edm fans are "fake" daft punk fans.
Some people just don't like RAM and it doesn't mean they only like American takes on European music or that they only heard two singles off of discovery (which would be odd being that that came out over a decade ago).

RAM goes in a different direction, which is what they wanted but its a little too different for some ppl.

Honestly I don't think ppl that have heard daft punk and are calling themselves fans expected them to come out with something that sounds "current" and I'm not sure why some people think that people that don't like ram must like the **** that's current out.

RAM is not what I expected but it still blew my away, they continue to reinvent themselves.

Love it.

you couldn't be more WRONG. they have:

Homework, Human After All, Alive 1997, Irreversible soundtrack (Thomas Bangalter produced the whole thing), BBC Essential Mix... I guarantee every person in this thread that didn't like "R.A.M" has never heard any of those projects

they've had a successful music career since 1997...America didn't "discover" Daft Punk until 2001 (by that time "Homework" was already multi-platinum in Europe/Asia)

I lived in Japan in the late 90s, went straight to Germany after. been following them from day 1; they'd STILL be legends if they didn't pop off in America in 2001

Last edited:
you couldn't be more WRONG. they have:

Homework, Human After All, Alive 1997, Irreversible soundtrack (Thomas Bangalter produced the whole thing), BBC Essential Mix... I guarantee every person in this thread that didn't like "R.A.M" has never heard any of those projects

they've had a successful music career since 1997...America didn't "discover" Daft Punk until 2001 (by that time "Homework" was already multi-platinum in Europe/Asia)

I lived in Japan in the late 90s, went straight to Germany after. been following them from day 1; they'd STILL be legends if they didn't pop off in America in 2001
We counting BBC Essential Mixes now?
laugh.gif
Like everyone who is anyone does an Essential Mix. They are usually awesome, but I would hardly count an Essential Mix as a project. That's like saying that doing an episode of A State of Trance is a project.

If you played Starcraft in middle school, you've probably been listening to Daft Punk for a while, in my experience.

:smh:

might not mean anything in America, but BBC Essential Mixes are a highlight of ALOT of European DJs' catalogs. BBC Radio is HUGE overseas

ask a true FAN of Daft Punk, David Guetta, DJ Mehdi, Busy P, Swedish House Mafia, etc "What are some of your favorite DJs' live mixes?" & they'll mention these guys' BBC Essentials

Last edited:
Dude. I love Essential Mixes. I have a bunch of them downloaded on my computer right now (Zeds Dead's and Maya Jane Coles' mixes being a few of my favorites right now).

I'm just saying that I wouldn't consider that an individual project. They're mixes of pre-existing material.

Again, I really enjoy Essential Mixes a lot.

When did I say it was supposed to be considered an individual? I said it's a highlight of their catalog; nothing more & nothing less.

I don't need to calm down at all, you need to improve your reading comprehension skills :lol:

it's an ok song... just doesn't scream "single-worthy"

"Lose Yourself To Dance" > "Get Lucky" IMO

Am I the only one that thinks "Get Lucky" is nothing special and if it was just a Pharrell song mainstream wouldn't give a damn about it? It's like "omg the new DAFT PUNK song is so great!" Track is beyond lame to me
I enjoy when I hear it but it's not a song I would actively go and listen to.  More like a song that if it came on the radio, I wouldn't bother to change the station.

It's really just..OK.

Am I the only one that thinks "Get Lucky" is nothing special and if it was just a Pharrell song mainstream wouldn't give a damn about it? It's like "omg the new DAFT PUNK song is so great!" Track is beyond lame to me
This. It's a decent song with an enormous amount of hype attached to it. By itself, it was nothing special to me. 

Back
Top Bottom