DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

I know bring up MCU doesn't go down well in here..

But AOU is on cable now so I've been watching it a bit whenever I see it on.. And I've completely changed my mind on how I originally felt about the film

But I love the remarks that ultron and vision make about their existence and humanity.. Not saying that DCCU should follow the same thing exactly.. But they could set up that sort sort of dynamic with brainiac and supes

Vision sees the beauty in humanity with all of it's imperfections, he has a general curiosity about life and protecting it (even wishing he could save ultron because he is "unique").. Whereas ultron has a clear distaste for its clear inferiority

But there is a the clear dissension between the two, vision sees that and knows ultron must be stopped.. Again even though he doesn't want to

A lot of that could be applied to supes.. And elements of it were suggested in this film, when they had ginuwinely smart folks talking about the larger picture of humans place in the galaxy with the existence of superman.. And then the trial and questions being asked about superman stepping in and if he should and when (and the aftermath of him stepping in like what happened in Africa when there could have been blowback from what he did.. Even outside of lex's ppl.. Maybe that dude supes took through the war is the chief warlord)

Deal with supes just doing what is right while having to deal with the imprefections of man.. Corrupt governments.. Evil people with power.. Deal with the grey of the world

Last edited:
Always thought it was more a New York/ Chicago kind of thing.. Not right right next to each other

Probably should have went opposite coast for film though

are gotham and metropolis supposed to be the two biggest cities in america? 
Sort of in DC's America.

NYC and LA exist but they're rarely attacked nor are any heroes based there on a constant basis. None in NY for obvious reasons (not gonna be like Marvel). I know Nightwing spent time in Chicago and NYC though. Probably some others.

Always thought it was more a New York/ Chicago kind of thing.. Not right right next to each other

Probably should have went opposite coast for film though
When Metropolis was established as a city in Kansas I naturally thought well of course that's far away from Gotham which is obviously an East coast city.

Last edited:
Here's something completely random I thought of last night re: the Knightmare sequence, lemme know whatcha all think...

So what if the Flash "Warning" isn't totally a dream or a vision, but a fkashback? So the parademons sequence IS a dream, but it's a result of what he was told YEARS AGO by Flash in a warning while he was there in the Batcave.

In context to the movie, it kinda makes sense. Maybe in 2009 Flash came back to warn Bruce, but he was "too soon;" Supes hadn't even revealed himself, let alone proven himself to be a potential threat to humanity. Bruce, in the midst of trying to hash out his dead Robin issues, has no f'ing clue what is happening, let alone what he's being told. But while he's nodding off as the Luthor files are decrypted, BOOM, it all comes together to him as he sees a potential future of Hell/Apokolips on Earth, but in his mind it's brought by Supes, because he might not yet be aware of the specific threat of Darkseid.

So in the solo Batman movie (or even SS) we get this same sequence during a flashback scene around the time Jason gets acquainted with a crowbar.

Does that make sense? Would explain the weird 2-part dream, and smooth over the narrative of the overall story, too, IMO.

PS - I want Tim Drake in the Batman movie, dammit. Show him talking with ****/NW, losing JT, and taking in Tim. Or hell, even Stephanie Brown or Carrie Kelly if we're going full-Frank Miller. That'd be sweet, too.

Last edited:
Sort of in DC's America.

NYC and LA exist but they're rarely attacked nor are any heroes based there on a constant basis. None in NY for obvious reasons (not gonna be like Marvel). I know Nightwing spent time in Chicago and NYC though. Probably some others.
When Metropolis was established as a city in Kansas I naturally thought well of course that's far away from Gotham which is obviously an East coast city.

Yeah, I just always think Gotham = NYC, Bludhaven = Jersey City, Metropolis = St. Louis, Central City = Kansas City.

It took so long for me to figure out the harbor thing in BvS, even though upon second viewing they make it really clear througout the whole movie.

If the Flash warning was a flashback set before MOS they did a horrible job of indicating that.

These things are suppose to be clear and not difficult to follow.

To me it was just a poor choice to have Bruce about to click on Lex's file and then jump in to the Knightmare thing and then have Bruce wake up at his desk as if he fell asleep while on the computer only to be immediately hit with the Flash stuff.

I don't have much hope of that being explained to where it makes sense.

Last edited:
If the Flash warning was a flashback set before MOS they did a horrible job of indicating that.

To me it was just a poor choice to have Bruce about to click on Lex's file and then jump in to the Knightmare thing and the have Bruce wake up at his desk as if he fell asleep while on the computer only to be immediately hit with the Flash stuff.

I still can't understand how you can drop stuff like that in the middle of a movie and then leaving it alone for the rest of the movie without explaining it

You shouldn't have to discuss it on a DC board with other nerds to understand it :lol:

That's a criminal script mistake

To me it was just a poor choice to have Bruce about to click on Lex's file and then jump in to the Knightmare thing and the have Bruce wake up at his desk as if he fell asleep while on the computer only to be immediately hit with the Flash stuff.

Yeah, my hopes aren't too high it gets fully explained, but I feel it's the most sensible way to hash out the "Double-Dream" sequence.

Honestly, my biggest beef with this part of the flick was the sound editing/mixing. The lightning noise muffled what he was saying so badly I couldn't make it out well enough the first time I saw it. Plus it came as such a surprise, and Flash was so far away you couldn't read his lips to jibe what he was saying.

Okay, so watched it a 2nd time.

I didn't realize how loud the movie is lol. The music is somewhat od. The music gives away too much of what is supposed to happen.

Secondly, on a 2nd viewing it is apparent the theme they went for is that Batman went off the deep end from fighting useless criminals for 20 years + death of Pippen and it culminating in aliens from outer space rendering everything he's done useless. It's why him killing makes at least a tiny bit of sense.

Also, Lex did a better job than I originally thought. He really understood the hatred going on and how to play it.

The movie was more of a Superman saves Batman than anything else.

Maybe that's another thing. This movie lands on these 2 characters just being in horrible places in their lives.

Maybe that's what's really bugging me. It's Batman and Superman not at their best. There's story excuses for it of course (been doing it too long vs. just started doing it) but it's off.

Last edited:
Secondly, on a 2nd viewing it is apparent the theme they went for is that Batman went off the deep end from fighting useless criminals for 20 years + death of Pippen and it culminating in aliens from outer space rendering everything he's done useless. It's why him killing makes at least a tiny bit of sense.

scottie-pippen-01-435.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe that's another thing. This movie lands on these 2 characters just being in horrible places in their lives.

Maybe that's what's really bugging me. It's Batman and Superman not at their best. There's story excuses for it of course (been doing it too long vs. just started doing it) but it's off.

See, I like that about it. Best Batman + Best Superman is World's Finest. This most definitely isn't that. They certainly COULD have gone with "Batman/Superman: Dawn of Justice", but I honestly think that would've been too formulaic to what Marvel's doing. WB was like "F' it - We're giving you Civil War right out the gate and using that as the basis of our universe." I'm cool with that.

See, I like that about it. Best Batman + Best Superman is World's Finest. This most definitely isn't that. They certainly COULD have gone with "Batman/Superman: Dawn of Justice", but I honestly think that would've been too formulaic to what Marvel's doing. WB was like "F' it - We're giving you Civil War right out the gate and using that as the basis of our universe." I'm cool with that.
Then the story should've been way better.

What Goyer said years back before Superman Returns/Batman Begins was green lit about doing a Batman vs. Superman movie is admitting you ran out of ideas comes to mind.

My whole thing is the first time Supes and Bats meet why wouldn't I want to see them both at the top of their game at their best?

What Goyer said years back before Superman Returns/Batman Begins was green lit about doing a Batman vs. Superman movie is admitting you ran out of ideas comes to mind.

My whole thing is the first time Supes and Bats meet why wouldn't I want to see them both at the top of their game at their best?

Yeah, I can see that, but I also like the generational difference they're setting up between the Trinity and the rest of the JL. Cyborg, Flash & Aquaman are all younger than the big 3, aren't they? How old is Clark in these, anyway, early/mid-30s? Bruce is about 42, and WW id what, 1800 yrs old, lol?

You kinda making it sound like it would've been a bad thing for the WB to follow Marvel's formula. It obviously works.

DC should've have been worried about giving fans 'civil war right out of the gate'

I think trying to compete with Marvel blow for blow too soon is what got them in this mess to begin with

Should've just worked on just making good solo movies first and go from there

Maybe it's not just a DC problem, maybe it's also WB. When you include Pan and Jupiter Ascending, and now BvS that's 3 subpar outings in a 12 month time span. Maybe they need to change who's in charge over there or something.

Last edited:

Yeah, I can see that, but I also like the generational difference they're setting up between the Trinity and the rest of the JL. Cyborg, Flash & Aquaman are all younger than the big 3, aren't they? How old is Clark in these, anyway, early/mid-30s? Bruce is about 42, and WW id what, 1800 yrs old, lol?
Clark is 35.

I think Aquaman aint gonna be younger. Although I don't know how old Momoa is and can't tell either. Plus don't know how they're doing it with how ppl who live under the sea age so that's up in the air.

You kinda making it sound like it would've been a bad thing for the WB to follow Marvel's formula. It obviously works.

DC should've have been worried about giving fans 'civil war right out of the gate'

I think trying to compete with Marvel blow for blow too soon is what got them in this mess to begin with

Should've just worked on just making good solo movies first and go from there

Yeah, I really do think that following Marvel's formula would've backfired. I think a lot of critics and CB fans would've called out "poseurs" and said it was a cash-grab

Look, really DC/WB was f'd as soon as IM1 dropped and Nick Fury came waltzing in in the post-credit scene (sorry, spoiler - lol). ANYTHING they did from that point on (remember they were in the middle of the Nolan Bat trilogy at that point) was going to be viewed comparatively to the MCU.

I'm all for them going completely off the board and opposite what Marvel's doing, if only so I get variety in all the CB media I get. Let Marvel's movies be fluff and TV/Streaming ve dark, and DV's movies be dark and TV be light. Awesome.

Now... if DC is secretly building BOTH the TV and movies to a Crisis on Infinite Earths? Weeellllll... I'll pee myself. Especially if it ends with Ben Affleck, the kid from "Gotham," Cavill, Grant Gustin, movie Flash, Eisenberg Luthor, Ryan Reynolds Hal Jordan AND Darkseid all joining forces to defeat the Anti-Monitor.

Hoo boy, that'd be insane.

Oh, and WB ain't changing anything as long as they can keep cashing in on that JK Rowling money train. Fantastic Beasts is gonna make beaucoup $$$$$$$.

And if they can get Peter Jackson to make a trilogy of the Silmarillion??? Well, all bets are off. That ish will pay for their DC stuff alone.

I didn't realize how loud the movie is lol. The music is somewhat od. The music gives away too much of what is supposed to happen.

Also, Lex did a better job than I originally thought. He really understood the hatred going on and how to play it.

This makes a ton of sense.. Except for the fact you're dealing with zack Snyder

And batman trusting Diana right off the bat even after she stole from him.. And he has fought female criminals before

Ehh I wouldn't worry about fan perception too much, just execution. It's not really about who's doing light or who's doing dark movies but if you're just putting out good movies period and you're not rushing steps.

If the only problem with the movie was that it was dark, I'd be happy. Maybe happy is the wrong word. Not as critical.

Last edited:

This makes a ton of sense.. Except for the fact you're dealing with zack Snyder
Yup, at the end of the day the most likely explanation behind almost everything in this movie is "because it would look cool and it's from a comic I like" 

I could see the tone being fine for a solo batman flick.. Or the dark knight returns..

Not JL where you're trying fit in other members who don't suit that sort of thing

I'm excited for Fantastic Beasts and the biggest reason why is cuz the screenplay is written by Jk Rowling herself. That's never happened for any of the other Harry Potter films.

Have no idea what you're talking about with Similaron, whatever that is lol.. Sorry

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom