DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

Warner Bros. Puts ‘Man of Steel’ Sequel Into Active Development (Exclusive)

Henry Cavill‘s Superman will fly solo again in a sequel to “Man of Steel” going into active development at Warner Bros., a person familiar with the project told TheWrap.

Warner Bros. has two untitled DC films to be released on Oct. 5, 2018 and Nov. 1, 2019, but hasn’t said what they will be.
im wondering if they put suicide squad 2 in th October 18 slot and superman I. Nov 19. But then when would the batman solo film be. Either that or they start adding more comic book movie slots

Last edited:
Well that's because those were nolan's projects. He's not walking through that door and giving dc more scripts. As flawed as tdkr was, bane's dialogue was cool and catwoman was a good character.

Last edited:
Wait...so i read in here people would like to see a performance like Loki or hawk eye?!?

Loki and hawk eye were already pretty average in the movies they played in. I don't get how either would enhance SS...
You should quote who said that and properly address what they said instead of w/e this is.
It still baffles me that people with the most to say still haven't seen the movie. It just doesn't make sense to me.

When all my friends sitting there quoting Harlem nights, and I'm the only one that's never seen it, I sit there quiet. Lol. I don't give my 2 cents anyways even tho I've never seen it :lol:. How can I!!!?!????!?
Name names.

You ain't seen Harlem Nights :smh:
Review from John Ostrander:

http://www.comicmix.com/2016/08/07/john-ostrander-reviews-the-suicide-squad/

As we start, I think you should know my biases. I think you should know any critics’ bias. Myself, I use them mostly as consumer reporters. If I find a critic whose tastes largely coincide with mine, I tend to trust them more. The late great Roger Ebert was one. Knowing who is giving you their opinion is important; what does their opinion matter if you don’t trust them?

Regarding the Suicide Squad movie, well, I’m biased. I’m prejudiced. I have a vested interest in its success. I want it to succeed. However, if I didn’t like it, I’d be more likely just to keep my trap shut.

My trap is open.

I really liked the film. Not perfect by a long shot, but a really good time in the movie theater. And for me a lot of it was just amazing. The look, the detail, the feel of the film is not something I’ve seen in superhero movies before.

Chief for me were the performances, starting with Viola Davis as Amanda Waller. All the other characters in the Squad, both the comic and the movie, were created by others. In the comic especially I would re-define and expand on them but they were established characters. Amanda Waller was my creation and Viola Davis embodied her to perfection. I was happy when she was cast, I was delighted when I saw her in the trailers, and I was ecstatic when I saw her in the film. Davis has Amanda’s voice, her look, and her attitude. I was delighted at the after-party when I got a chance to see her face-to-face and tell her how much I enjoyed her performance.

Next up is Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. She is sexy, innocent, funny, lethal, crazy and dangerous. And she’s a thief – she steals just about every scene she’s in.

Let’s look at Will Smith as Deadshot. Some folks have objected that he’s not my Deadshot. No, he isn’t and that’s just fine by me. My Deadshot was not the character as he had been created or portrayed prior to my appropriating him for the Squad. Gail Simone’s version was not exactly my version either. You don’t expect two actors who play the same character in different versions to be identical so why expect those versions in different stories to be identical? Smith did a great job – intense, cynical, with a weak spot for his daughter (although I thought their last scene together had a disturbing element). Smith is a fine actor and one of the world’s biggest stars; he sure as hell wasn’t slumming here and he made Deadshot his own – which is exactly what he was supposed to do.

Last paragraph, I talked about you wouldn’t expect two actors playing the same character in different stories to give identical performances. That really applies to Jared Leto as the Joker. He crafted an entirely new version of the character from the late Heath Ledger’s portrayal in The Dark Knight. That’s absolutely necessary and it’s a different look. Like Pygmalion, he creates a woman that he can love; in this case, it’s Harley Quinn. If we accept his love for her (and her love for him) as genuine, does that make him less of a sociopath? Ledger’s Joker loved no one except, perhaps, Batman. He’s no less strange or deadly but his entire plotline revolves around being re-united with Harley.

Jay Hernandez has a significant role as Diablo and I would have liked to see more of the character. He has a terrific and horrifying back-story but this is a character who is trying to do good even as (I think) he believes he is beyond redemption.

Likewise, I would have liked to see more of Jai Courtney as Boomerang. As Christopher Walken says of cowbell, you can never have too much Boomerang. He’s very much as I wrote him in the Squad – he knows what he is and he likes it. In that respect, Boomerang is very well adjusted. Which is scary.

There’s a surprising theme running through the movie; there is a lot about love. Joker and Harley’s love, yes; Deadshot’s love for his daughter; Diablo’s love (and guilt and remorse) for his family; Rick Flag (Joel Kinnaman)’s love for June Moone (Cara Delevingne) while June’s alter ego, the Enchantress, appears to love her brother. Katana (Karen Fukuhara) loves her dead husband and carries his soul in her blade (OK, a lot of the relationships are not the healthiest in this film). Even with Amanda there’s a brief phone call and there’s tenderness and love for whoever she’s speaking with. Love shapes and forms a lot of the characters and they, in turn, mold the story.

Are their problems with the film? Sure. The antagonist(s) are not well defined and, to my mind, you need a good antagonist to help define the protagonist(s). It’s the antagonist who usually sets the plot in motion and it is defined by what they want. The story is a little more generic “we have to save the world” than I usually did; I always liked having one foot squarely in reality.

I also liked having a political and/or social edge in my Squad stories. That would also give a greater feel of reality and I don’t see that here.

That said, my artistic DNA is all over the place. This is The Dirty Dozen with supervillains and that’s my concept. They did that and did it well.

I know some of the critics, both in print and online, do not like the movie. That’s okay; everyone has a right to their own opinion even when it’s wrong. My problem is that, at least with some of the media reviews, is that the critic is also tired of superhero and “tentpole” films and, overtly or covertly, would like to see their end. Look, I get it – they have to see all the films out there and they must be tired of all the blockbusters.

If every superhero film is not The Dark Knight, they’ll *****. I think that’s going on here to a certain degree. Just as I came prepared to love the movie, they came prepared to hate it.

My late wife, Kim Yale, was a movie critic for a while for a small suburban newspaper in the Chicago area and I went with her to some of the movie screenings. Don’t tell me that some of the critics didn’t come with pre-conceived attitudes to some films. I know better. I saw and heard it.

As for some of the online haters – if a film doesn’t fit their pre-conceived notion, it is wrong. Female Ghostbusters, a black Deadshot, Ben Affleck as Batman (Affleck, by the way, does cameos as both Batman and Bruce Wayne in Suicide Squad and is terrific) – these are all sins and must be decried.

Give me a ******* break.

Look, you can be the most important critic on Suicide Squad. In this case, your voice is your money. You decide if you want to see the movie and then go. If you like it, tell others. I guess you could also tell them if you didn’t like it but you don’t have to. I won’t mind.

If the film is financially successful (and, from what I’ve seen as this review is being written, it’s on track for a pretty good opening weekend), then Warners will be encouraged to do a sequel. And I hope they do. They made a good film this time and I believe they’ll do it even better next time around.

It’s your call.

Hit the nail on the head here I think.

Just as I came prepared to love the movie, they came prepared to hate it.
If this is the case, we shouldn't listen to anybody that admits to have had a bias before seeing the movie. I mean this is the opinion of the co-creator of the SS :lol:

Thing is I've noticed there's a whole lot more accusing ppl that they wanted to hate the movie with no evidence backing it. Just how ppl felt when they read a bad review.

Seems we're getting to the point where there is no room for differing opinions anymore. If you didn't like what I liked then you have a bias, wanted to hate it from day 1, blah blah blah.

That's largely bull ****. Especially when reasons are given, valid reasons and then ppl who disagree pivot to you're nitpicking.

I feel like ppl should lay off the bias, paid off by Marvel, they wanted to hate this for some reason "logic". Just a whole lot of bluster to cover up whining and complaining. Like all of a sudden ppl don't know what to do whe they e counter an opinion different from their own about a movie.

Most of y'all would get aneurysms if you crossed passed with Anti-Dope in a movie thread.

Last edited:

Henry Cavill‘s Superman will fly solo again in a sequel to “Man of Steel” going into active development at Warner Bros., a person familiar with the project told TheWrap.

Warner Bros. has two untitled DC films to be released on Oct. 5, 2018 and Nov. 1, 2019, but hasn’t said what they will be.
im wondering if they put suicide squad 2 in th October 18 slot and superman I. Nov 19. Either that or they start adding more comic book movie slots

I'm thinking one of those might be the solo Batfilm.

I'm on the Batfleck bandwagon. He'll save this mess. He's a big enough name so that WB won't meddle into it this time. He's already stated he won't start filming until he's completely satisfied with the script.

Add Viola, Margot, and Leto to it and DC will be byke 
smokin.gif

im wondering if they put suicide squad 2 in th October 18 slot and superman I. Nov 19. Either that or they start adding more comic book movie slots

I'm thinking one of those might be the solo Batfilm.
Yea, they really need to have 2-3 comic book movies a year. Or maybe not scheduled aqua an or flash or anything. What if they decide to do s Harley Quinn movie. They can't wait 3-4 years to put it out.

i think the thing with these these "bad" dc films....also some marvel ones.....is that they lack any sense of realism if that makes sense.

look at The dark knight....its very believable......even thor....where there is a god and villains from across the universe there is a sense of realism that the bad films cannot reproduce.

guardians of the galaxy also had it. avengers as well to a certain extent. they take place in a world that i can see myself being in.

maybe realism isn't the right word, but i cant explain it......but like how the ensemble cast in thor acts in reaction to seeing whats going on.

a lot of these mediocre comic films to me are just literal translations...like...lets just throw a comic up on the big screen.....instead of lets make a good film.

imagine if zack snyder directed a harley quinn movie, or if the suicide squad director did.

now imagine if Chris Nolan directed that movie.

the whole "style" would be different....and that style... that nolan(and other directors) can bring, is that crowd..critic...rotten tomatoes high score style.

they CAN do it, but i feel like if they can keep Banking off this cgi, formulaic, style of films they dont give a ****.

and also a great quality director would be tough to get on board, or expensive...

Last edited:
Master Zik Master Zik

I'm all for the differing opinions; just as you mentioned, most people here that didn't like the movie pointed out why. And for the most part, I understood those reasons.

For me, that perception was geared more towards the critics and people online that just wanted to bash the movie.

I think the community here is pretty good overall.

I think jimmies can get rustled easily around here, but most regulars articulate their ideas very well and keep it civil.

It's the same thing as people saying anyone that liked it has low standards or they're trying to convince themselves it wasn't bad. Such a coincidence that you didn't bring up that side while crying about fairness.

Or are you gonna act like you've seen none of that unless I quote it :lol:

It's the same thing as people saying anyone that liked it has low standards or they're trying to convince themselves it wasn't bad. Such a coincidence that you didn't bring up that side while crying about fairness.

Or are you gonna act like you've seen none of that unless I quote it :lol:
Not the same thing. If you tell me something like Godfather I & II are trash I may tell you once you have poor taste (in a lengthy post about why those movies are great). If it becomes a pattern with other movies I may say you got low standards but that's it and that's based on my opinion and the movies I like, you and others may think differently (idc). I'm not complaining that you didn't love it. Same goes if I see you doing mental gymnastics to say you liked/love a movie. If I read a review of yours and it doesn't even read like you liked the movie but are steady defending it like it was the best movie of the year I'll sense something ain't right with that :lol: Imma just keep it in mind you got bad taste.

I've seen several ppl in this thread the past week **** on Civil War. I don't bother to quote them and tell them what makes it great or tell em they're wrong and why I just:

launching-creative-ryan-the-office-taking-notes.gif

And keep it moving. When it becomes a pattern and I feel you just got bad taste the next time ppl are discussing movies I just dismiss your posts and don't acknowledge it. The exception are for posters who I know do have good taste, know what a good or great movie looks like, loves film but is just turning their mind off like a crazy person. Those ppl may know who they are :lol: :nerd:

To me there's a vast difference arguing/discussing a movie with @Jay25 or @itsaboutthattime and say @ksteezy or va757va va757va . Its even more different in the movie thread.

FTR, I'm not talking about fairness. I'm talking about ppl being unable to not make up some bs reason for why a person didn't like a movie. Also I haven't seen anybody in this thread or the movie thread where I've read SS reviews say if you liked SS you got low standards or bad taste. So go ahead and quote them for me.

Having good taste or low standards is directly related to what movies you like and don't like. So over time if you make it known what movies you like and don't like others can tell several things; if you have similar tastes, a unique perspecrive, low or high standards depending on genre/director/cast/etc., or if you're just bat**** crazy, and a few other things. I don't see how that's complaining or whining like when ppl lie and say you wanted to hate the movie before you saw it.

Those 2 are not the same thing. If you disagree:

The Flash cameo just had me upset. We should be seeing his solo in 2017.
No lie, when I had made that previous post about their release schedule I was disappoint Flash is so far away. Tv show really had me grow on him simply cuz the concept of a speedster as the main character and their adventures is basically nil. Nothing has scratched that itch since Sonic.

There could be a argument that the Avengers initiative should have never been started since Hydra was shield..
In the MCU thread, sure.

Its all scumbag Steve's fault though.

They need to release a 3rd movie in 2017 man. And keep doing that.
People go into movies with sheep mentality instead of making up their own damn minds.

Once they see a group of people don't like it, they follow suit.

With social media and sites like rotten tomatoes, it's multiplied tenfold now.

People are such followers it's sad.

Have some original ******* thoughts.

Also, not every movie has to be a ******* masterpiece. Movies don't have to be perfect. What happened to just having a good time at the theater? Everyone thinks they're a professional movie critic.

dont even bother. we grading movies like tests now

its a job now to watch a movie
Sarcasm covered in sodium :smh: :lol:
The Dark Knight set the bar so incredibly high.

The first 15 minutes is legit better than some whole comic book movies

This is the issue, people know that DC can make a good movie, it's like they just choose not to. The Dark Knight trilogy was great.
I can't even imagine if Nolan had to deal with that much studio interference what those 3 movies would've came out like :lol:

DC probably should just get an a-list director beyond reproach.

Hold up, you haven't even seen the movie and you're doing all this? Or did I misread what you wrote while you agreed that one of the comments sounded like nitpicking?

Hold up, you haven't even seen the movie and you're doing all this?
Doing what? Posting?
Or did I misread what you wrote while you agreed that one of the comments sounded like nitpicking?
I haven't been talking about the movie like I saw it. Since reviews came out I don't got anything else to say about the movie. Kept my posts to discussing the DCEU, the studio interference, or asking a question or two. After the reviews came out and I commented on that I haven't had a bad or good thing to say about Suicide Squad.

My post about dude nitpicking about the phones was based off reading everybody else's posts so far though :lol: I mean that legitmately seemed like nitpicking.

I already said I'm going to wait for the ultimate cut. Seems that might be the new trend.

Last edited:
I mean. I've seen the low standards thing myself. Not really into digging into all ur posts to see which movie it was for. But it was definitely in this thread...

And real talk, I appreciate what you bring to these threads...I appreciate the "nerd-ness" you bring...it's knowledge. I dig it....

But man, Its like you go outta your way not to like things sometimes. Like. Once the bad reviews started it was like confirmation to a group of folks that it wasn't worth seeing...like the posts go into such detail at times to give reasons why you shouldn't or don't want to see it.

I don't share that sentiment...I like to gain my own opinions...I'm also the "I'll try anything once" guy.

It's 5$ man. [emoji]128514[/emoji] go see a matinee and give it a try...

But let's be honest...you already know you won't like it...seems like your mind been made up is really what I'm tryna get to.

Me, I like pleasant surprises....just caught a gem this weekend that I've never given a chance cause of my preconceived notions. Turns out I like it..imagine that. (the Martian)

Last edited:
Yo if WB is seriously making a new Superman solo I am beyond happy

Give Superman a good script and a good director and he can flourish like everyone else.

Not the same thing. If you tell me something like Godfather I & II are trash I may tell you once you have poor taste (in a lengthy post about why those movies are great). If it becomes a pattern with other movies I may say you got low standards but that's it and that's based on my opinion and the movies I like, you and others may think differently (idc). I'm not complaining that you didn't love it. Same goes if I see you doing mental gymnastics to say you liked/love a movie. If I read a review of yours and it doesn't even read like you liked the movie but are steady defending it like it was the best movie of the year I'll sense something ain't right with that :lol: Imma just keep it in mind you got bad taste.

I've seen several ppl in this thread the past week **** on Civil War. I don't bother to quote them and tell them what makes it great or tell em they're wrong and why I just:

And keep it moving. When it becomes a pattern and I feel you just got bad taste the next time ppl are discussing movies I just dismiss your posts and don't acknowledge it. The exception are for posters who I know do have good taste, know what a good or great movie looks like, loves film but is just turning their mind off like a crazy person. Those ppl may know who they are :lol: :nerd:

To me there's a vast difference arguing/discussing a movie with @Jay25 or @itsaboutthattime and say @ksteezy or va757va va757va . Its even more different in the movie thread.

FTR, I'm not talking about fairness. I'm talking about ppl being unable to not make up some bs reason for why a person didn't like a movie. Also I haven't seen anybody in this thread or the movie thread where I've read SS reviews say if you liked SS you got low standards or bad taste. So go ahead and quote them for me.

Having good taste or low standards is directly related to what movies you like and don't like. So over time if you make it known what movies you like and don't like others can tell several things; if you have similar tastes, a unique perspecrive, low or high standards depending on genre/director/cast/etc., or if you're just bat**** crazy, and a few other things. I don't see how that's complaining or whining like when ppl lie and say you wanted to hate the movie before you saw it.

Those 2 are not the same thing. If you disagree:

No lie, when I had made that previous post about their release schedule I was disappoint Flash is so far away. Tv show really had me grow on him simply cuz the concept of a speedster as the main character and their adventures is basically nil. Nothing has scratched that itch since Sonic.
In the MCU thread, sure.

Its all scumbag Steve's fault though.
They need to release a 3rd movie in 2017 man. And keep doing that.
Sarcasm covered in sodium :smh: :lol:
I can't even imagine if Nolan had to deal with that much studio interference what those 3 movies would've came out like :lol:

DC probably should just get an a-list director beyond reproach.

Saying you have low standards, or you wanted to hate the movie before watching it or that you forced yourself to like it IS similar because they're all forms of invalidating an opinion just cause it doesn't match yours.

You're doing quite a bit of mental gymnastics in this post just to defend one side. I don't know how you don't see that. You really REALLY think bias exists only on one side? That makes no sense.

Also you keep asking for quotes like you haven't read all 700 pages of this thread :lol: I know you've seent it

I hear his name being floated around a lot to direct supes. (no shade ) What about him makes him suitable for the job?

god tier action director based off Road Warrior and Fury Road alone.

He's also been attached to JL in the past before the MoS rumors, so he probably has some idea festering about how to do a Superman movie.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom