Dead Malls aka When malls were poppin'...

Anyone in the South Bay Area in Southern California been to the Galleria lately? Place looks like a straight ghost town and has been like that ever since Nordstrom shut down.

it’s in Dallas. But I currently live by the Red Bird mall. We’re in 2021 but the place reminds me of the Hawthorne mall (mall that closed down in 1997 or so). I’ll get some pics next time I pick some stuff up from Hibbett.

mike honcho mike honcho
zapatohead408 zapatohead408

Vallco is but a memory now.
20210713_102713.jpg

Sent this pic to a buddy of mine. He grew up close to Vallco. Straight up mall rat. (But who wasn't back in the day. . .):lol:

Bellevue Square isn't really high end, it's more mid-tier (although, it's much better than it was ten years ago). The Bravern has all the luxury retailers, and even then, Neiman Marcus closed.

The appeal of Bellevue Square these days is the Lincoln Square towers, which is essentially an extension of the mall and focuses solely on dining and entertainment. There's two Cinemarks (one all ages, one 21+), a Lucky Strike (the #1 revenue location in the chain) and a ton of restaurants. They're also building up massively around the mall. Within three years, downtown Bellevue will be unrecognizable even compared to today. It's one giant construction zone at the moment.
I wouldn’t classify Bravern as a mall considering it’s like a dozen stores and the only place to really eat is a sit down steakhouse. And Bellevue square isn’t the highest end place but it’s definitely way above average considering they have a Tiffany’s, Burberry, Tesla, and one of the better Nordstroms you’ll find. Not to mention that ain’t no mid tier mall keeping a Leica store in business.

mike honcho mike honcho
zapatohead408 zapatohead408

Vallco is but a memory now.
20210713_102713.jpg

Sent this pic to a buddy of mine. He grew up close to Vallco. Straight up mall rat. (But who wasn't back in the day. . .):lol:

We talking Vallco in Cupertino?

I used all my best game there lol. Ice rink and that arcade was that fire combo. Remember my boy and I were chillin playing a racing game and these two huge chicks came up and wanted my friends number. He didn’t know how to say no and they called for months after that lol.

We talking Vallco in Cupertino?

I used all my best game there lol. Ice rink and that arcade was that fire combo. Remember my boy and I were chillin playing a racing game and these two huge chicks came up and wanted my friends number. He didn’t know how to say no and they called for months after that lol.
Yes.
This picture was taken a few months ago. I was just off of Stevens Creek facing north towards 280.
I went to that mall every so often during 2000-2005. And even then, it was kinda dead. . .

Yup! I remember walking in sometime in 1998 and saw that they re-did the floor tiles. From 70’s styled red/orange/brown carpets to all white floor. That was the beginning and the rest came soon after.

Here’s another clip of the 1985 tv show “The Twilight Zone” where they filmed an entire episode in and outside of the Glendale Galleria. They show you the original entrance to the corner of the mall before they changed it to the corner area of where Target stands today.

Dude i cant believe you got this and the other clips of the galleria.
You took me back in time dude. Thank you
My mom use to let me chill at the KB Toy Store.
As i got older i started liking the Champs Sports across from the KB.
I lived in Eagle Rock so this and the Eagle Rock Plaza were my shopping malls.
In all my years of going to the Galleria I went to the Red Robin in there only twice lol
Sam Goody was right above it too.
The scene at the stuffed animal store was crazy. I remember going in there like it was yesterday.
I also remember the guy that use to paint portraits. As a kid it seemed unbelievable. There was also a pet store there that had a ton of puppies and fish.
anyway
Awesome vids

I wouldn’t classify Bravern as a mall considering it’s like a dozen stores and the only place to really eat is a sit down steakhouse. And Bellevue square isn’t the highest end place but it’s definitely way above average considering they have a Tiffany’s, Burberry, Tesla, and one of the better Nordstroms you’ll find. Not to mention that ain’t no mid tier mall keeping a Leica store in business.

All good. Just sharing my opinion, as it does not compare to a South Coast-type mall, which has all sorts of dedicated luxury storefronts. That being said, the Bellevue Nordstrom - which didn't have much high end stuff thanks to NM - got a huge boost with NM closing. They have RL Purple Label now, plus a combined Brunello Cucinelli and Zegna men's shop, which never existed before. They took on the department store designer void left by NM, so they have a bunch of new stuff, especially in shoes. I walk through there every so often when I have time.

Downtown Bellevue is a retailer's dream. That mall isn't going anywhere, and they just keep building up around it. So many hotels, condos, retail, etc. It's wild.

Dude i cant believe you got this and the other clips of the galleria.
You took me back in time dude. Thank you
My mom use to let me chill at the KB Toy Store.
As i got older i started liking the Champs Sports across from the KB.
I lived in Eagle Rock so this and the Eagle Rock Plaza were my shopping malls.
In all my years of going to the Galleria I went to the Red Robin in there only twice lol
Sam Goody was right above it too.
The scene at the stuffed animal store was crazy. I remember going in there like it was yesterday.
I also remember the guy that use to paint portraits. As a kid it seemed unbelievable. There was also a pet store there that had a ton of puppies and fish.
anyway
Awesome vids
Glad I could take you back bro. That place was a lot of fun to be at during those times. You know you just reminded me of the older man who used to paint lifelike portraits at the window of the store. I used to love standing there and watch him work. He always had a few people standing there in awe of his work. Then it was off to the Kay-Bee next door, haha. Thanks for reminding me as well!

Edit: Forgot to throw in this random tidbit that Eva Mendez used to work at the Glendale Galleria “Hotdog on a Stick” at the food court back in the late 90’s. We probably passed by her or were served by her like any random person :lol:

Last edited:
Anyone in the South Bay Area in Southern California been to the Galleria lately? Place looks like a straight ghost town and has been like that ever since Nordstrom shut down.

it’s in Dallas. But I currently live by the Red Bird mall. We’re in 2021 but the place reminds me of the Hawthorne mall (mall that closed down in 1997 or so). I’ll get some pics next time I pick some stuff up from Hibbett.

yeah they're done for. losing Nordstrom to Del Amo was the last straw, last time I was there over a year ago that space was some weird dinosaur kids exhibit thing.

In SO Cal... Del Amo Mall, SouthCoast Plaza, and The Grove are not going anywhere! Haven’t been the Beverly Center in a min. Ontario Mills can be added too but don’t fade with that mall to often. Bunch of walking for nothing worth wild.

Ontario Mills is in an outlet mall disguised as a regular indoor mall lol, itll be around for awhile

I was in Jacksonville back in April and had some time to kill, went to the neighborhood where me and the wife and kids lived, then jetted to Orange Park Mall, once I got inside I couldn’t even recognize it, it was super dead.

Local Suncoast here is still open. Wonder how much longer it can last. Even Footaction recently shut down.

What's funny is just around the block everything is thriving, it seems. It's not really physical retail that's dead, but the malls are what's looking bad.

Noticed a lot of dead malls are being turned into those warehouse style movie theaters.

Only been there like twice but Greenspoint Mall is just as dead as West Oaks Mall is. More open stores which I guess is a plus but literally no one is there shopping.

I’ve always heard it was a place to avoid back in the day but thought it would be more populated than that.

I have a tendency to do online research on malls I've been to or heard about. I like seeing old pictures of how they looked in their previous incarnations and architectures.

I was surprised to learn that some of the enclosed malls I've been to used to be outdoor/open air malls a long time ago because that architecture was more common back then. I've been so used to going to enclosed malls my whole life.

The bad thing about trying to find pictures online is that they're limited if they were photographed using film in a bygone era since it was the default media. I want to assume it's hard to store or preserve pictures taken on film as time progresses because they can possibly deteriorate or get discarded easily.

I'm so glad digital cameras and memory cards were invented because pictures on that type of media basically remains permanently stored until they're voluntarily deleted. You only have to be cautious not to lose the memory card or damage it.

You can go down a YouTube rabbit hole on old malls from your area. It is kinda cool and just reminds you of how different life is now.

Check out Jasper Mall. Its a documentary on Amazon about a once popular mall in Alabama struggling to survive with todays retail environment

Also Malls R Us is a good doc

Good look

Only been there like twice but Greenspoint Mall is just as dead as West Oaks Mall is. More open stores which I guess is a plus but literally no one is there shopping.

I’ve always heard it was a place to avoid back in the day but thought it would be more populated than that.

Used to slide in there to hit the cajun grill for lunch and the champs has some decent gear. Came in there couple months back to grab some bourbon chicken and they done shut down da cajun 😩

Back
Top Bottom