Dead Malls aka When malls were poppin'...

Go to Whole Foods

Trader Joe's and Sprouts can serve as acceptable substitutes, especially if located near a yoga studio.

Ninja is right about a lack of public spaces in the suburbs though. I grew up in an area where the exoburbs of Los Angeles overlapped with small and midsized farm and harbor towns. The exoburban neighborhoods were especially misanthropic because they totally separated the residential and commercial zones. The older towns, populated by blue collar Chicanos and hipsters and hippies, embraced a blending of commercial and real estate and it results in much more lively neighborhoods despite a fairly low population density.

Have some found memories of malls as a youngster. Now I rarely go and if I do I try to make it in and out.

Yeah, I used to go back all the time, like 2-3x a year. Now I got back like once a year. Going back for New Year's actually.

Hope you enjoyed the island when you where down there famb :smokin

Still have a lot of family there? That's dope you still go back yearly.

I loved it! I need to go back. Im hittin you up for all the spots. Wish I had know that before I went the first time.

Yeah, I used to go back all the time, like 2-3x a year. Now I got back like once a year. Going back for New Year's actually.

Hope you enjoyed the island when you where down there famb :smokin

Still have a lot of family there? That's dope you still go back yearly.

I loved it! I need to go back. Im hittin you up for all the spots. Wish I had know that before I went the first time.

Yeah, a decent amount of family is still on the island.

Glad you enjoyed you time down there.

I feel like the Galleria will never go dry :lol: :lol: I don't even consider that a mall really. Sharpstown has always been :rolleyes to me even in it's heyday. Almeda Mall used to be my spot, now i just go there cause that's where the only Champs I know of is, and for Great American Cookies. Malls in general just seem to be a thing of the past as the years go by. Some of the different business that open up in there just don't last long.

Side note: McCain(?) Mall in Little Rock sucks

I remember back in 03 memorial city didn't even have a shoe store. I legit had the wee bay face when I found out. Fast forward 13 years later and it's a legit Mall.

Maybe because of my age (31) but I still like going to Mall to physically touch what I purchase. Online is cool, and definitely convienent, but nothing will replace actually going to the mall.

Peep what part of Houston you live in?

Theres three malls around here. Broward, Lauderhill, and Sawgrass. The amount of bad Hispanic females at Sawgrass
mean.gif

I wonder if its still like this, or if the jits mainly pull from school/online.
Fam I'm going to have to fire you as the 954 representer on Niketalk..How you going to enter a thread about dead malls and not mention Fashion Mall?! SMH that was a dope mall in the hay day, they just recently demolished it completely to build I think overpriced "luxury" apartments that no one is going to rent because it's too expensive (as if we need more of those).

And Lauderhill mall is most def not a mall
sick.gif
its pretty much a swap meet where dope boys get their chains and females get their hair products and cheap outfits from Rainbow, I was actually just there today to get a patty and coco bread from Charlies.

But I most say, you are absolutely right about Sawgrass (once the biggest mall in America in the early 90s) all the Brazilians, Argentinans, Venezuelan, ETC come to buy stuff for cheap to sell back in their country..I use to work at Burlington Coat Factory there and ohhhh weeee I use to see so many bad ones.

Basically

Outdoor malls are meh

Michigan has one good mall and that's somerset because it's a higher end mall but even that place is boring

The rest are ghetto as hell, surprised any of them are still open if you want my honest opinion
Great Lakes, twelve oaks, Somerset, birch run, partridge creek are all legit b. Oakland, lakeside, Fairlane are only good for release day sneaker purchases

metrocenter-1979-2013.jpg

IMG_3301.jpg

The MetroCenter mall by Glendale, AZ used to be a great place to shop when I was a kid. It is literally a ghost town now, except for the Walmart. There are still some restaraunts around it, especially by the I-17 but it is definitely sad to see what happened to it

I feel like the Galleria will never go dry :lol: :lol: I don't even consider that a mall really. Sharpstown has always been :rolleyes to me even in it's heyday. Almeda Mall used to be my spot, now i just go there cause that's where the only Champs I know of is, and for Great American Cookies. Malls in general just seem to be a thing of the past as the years go by. Some of the different business that open up in there just don't last long.

Side note: McCain(?) Mall in Little Rock sucks

I remember back in 03 memorial city didn't even have a shoe store. I legit had the wee bay face when I found out. Fast forward 13 years later and it's a legit Mall.

Maybe because of my age (31) but I still like going to Mall to physically touch what I purchase. Online is cool, and definitely convienent, but nothing will replace actually going to the mall.

Peep what part of Houston you live in?

SE Houston, like 5 minutes from the newer section of Pearland. Totally forgot i did go to Memorial City small earlier this year, for my twin's Easter pics. Real nice looking mall and it was the first time I had been there anyway, it was crazy packed. I understand the physical purchases as well since I'm just two years younger than you.

In Houston I was only doing Willowbrook and Memorial since I stayed on that side. Galleria every now and then. Cypress outlets as well.

When companies start downsizing and closing stores, it really hurts the smaller malls. They may end up moving to a more affluent mall if they were there already.

Going to the Mall was a weekend ritual for me growning up...Gear up in Jordans and matching tees, and grab my black book, ink pen, and $20.

It's crazy to see what has happened to shopping malls across the nation. My hometown mall is an empty shell of what it once was. I went back to visit last summer and the entire mall
had only 4 businesses operating: A small karate dojo, a dance studio, an arcade, and an event space. And one of the old anchor stores is being rented out by a college which is good for the area. I really hope that there a plans to revitalize the Center because it's sad to see what's happened over the years.

Going to the Mall was a weekend ritual for me growning up...Gear up in Jordans and matching tees, and grab my black book, ink pen, and $20.

It's crazy to see what has happened to shopping malls across the nation. My hometown mall is an empty shell of what it once was. I went back to visit last summer and the entire mall
had only 4 businesses operating: A small karate dojo, a dance studio, an arcade, and an event space. And one of the old anchor stores is being rented out by a college which is good for the area. I really hope that there a plans to revitalize the Center because it's sad to see what's happened over the years.

That's another thing that's practically dead, outside of Dave & Busters :lol: arcades as a kid were some of the most fun things around

Back
Top Bottom