Debt Dodgers: Meet the Americans Who Moved to Europe and Went AWOL on Their Student Loans

I had fed and private loans and don't recall any counseling but it'd probably because I forgot. Even still I don't think that's why I'm in the hole.

My student loans are the bane of my existence but I have no one to blame but me.

I had fed and private loans and don't recall any counseling but it'd probably because I forgot. Even still I don't think that's why I'm in the hole.

My student loans are the bane of my existence but I have no one to blame but me.
You most likely don't remember and didn't pay attention lol. They make you take it your freshman year during the first month then again during your last semester of school. Maybe things have changed over the years I was in college from 2010-2014.

Last edited:
I could see if it's in your name only, but when you have co-signers that's all ****** up IMO, especially if it's your parents.

At the time I didn't understand why my mother didn't want to co-sign for me on loans and whatnot, but I totally understand now. If I had a kid(s) I wouldn't do it either.

If my student loans were outta control and I couldn't find a decent job...

Good bye America. Fortunately neither of these things happened.

Just the stupidity of the whole situation...if ANYONE runs their SS#'s they're screwed. I'm talking about getting a job, trying to own a home, or even renting for that matter. Running away from their loans is going to catch up with them.

This is obviously a multi-faceted problem with blame to go all around.

People aren't educated on the true terms of a loan and what can result.

Banks blindly giving out loans.

Parents/counselors/EVERYONE failing to educate the youth.

Unfair rates (predatory loans)

A economy that doesn't reflect the belief we all once had of go to school, get a good job.

Blame is everywhere.

Just do your part to educate the folks you care about, so it doesn't happen to them.

Most of the folks in the article make folks with legitimate qualms with education and its costs look bad.

...Voting democrat is probably in all of our best interests. (

They'll come for your paycheck, refund check, social security. There's no way to run from this debt, unless maybe if you move to another country and renounce your US citizenship, but Idk if that even works.

They'll come for your paycheck, refund check, social security. There's no way to run from this debt, unless maybe if you move to another country and renounce your US citizenship, but Idk if that even works.

It's the only way it'll work.

The USA is the only country in world that taxes its citizens who are working abroad for an extended period of time, but many expats don't realize they owe the IRS back taxes until much later, when they want to come back for example. In recent years, the number of Americans working/living abroad who renounced their citizenship grew so much that the USCIS decided to increase the renunciation application fee to about $2000.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...uncing-their-citizenship-whats-going-on-here/

Many, many more Americans officially renounce their U.S. citizenship each year than leave the United States and ask for political asylum. In 2014, the first group was about 18 times larger than the later. All told, 3,415 Americans renounced their citizenship for what were likely financial reasons -- a record figure. Just 188 citizens sought asylum in another country.

How can we know that their reasons are more likely financial than political?

U.S. citizens living abroad are required to pay to the U.S. government taxes on their worldwide income. Most also have to pay taxes in the country where they live. And the U.S. government has become more aggressive in recent years in tracking the income of those living abroad and penalizing those who are less-than-honest. Hence, observers say, the number of people who are opting to renounce their citizenship and with it their tax obligations is climbing.

That's not a an exaggeration. Check out the serious uptick in the two charts below.

In 2-3 more months my student loans will be paid off. Glad I went to schools that didn't have crazy tuition prices.

Funny thing is, this was going on back in the day, can't remember the time period. Difference is, they were able to discharge their student loans through bankruptcy until the government put the clamps on that. It was crazy, talking about how they would rack up loads of debt, discharge through bankruptcy and then be good.

My wife's friend did this for about 4 months? But the funny thing is, she came back and Idk how she plans on paying for them because she's a freelance graphic designer that doesn't work consistently. 

The system all messed up n college costs wayyy to much ...but some of these ppl straight soft, running out on sub 30k loans

If I was off in the 100k range and couldn't get a good paying job basically putting myself in to debt until I was in my 30s I'd leave too.

If this happened more I could just see some executive action happening and the debt just being erased.

If I was off in the 100k range and couldn't get a good paying job basically putting myself in to debt until I was in my 30s I'd leave too.

If this happened more I could just see some executive action happening and the debt just being erased.
Who's fault is it that they can't get a good job? It's their own fault.

All of them are idiots. :smh: @ running away from your problems. I'm sorry, but 35-40k in student loan debt isn't bad.

And the guy who racked up 160k in debt, but knew college wasn't for him is a moron.

They may be in hiding now, but they'll be screwed in one way or another down the road. Believe that.

30-40K isn't that bad, but Que Rhianna let's just be honest people giving them crap when hiring managers and schools are BS'ing the public. Companies want young people with 3-5yrs experience to do 5 different positions and not wanting to even teach somebody to do it right. They want this all out of the box and they say college graduates ain't getting it from college so it's a no win situation.

Ever since 98 finding a job that you can not only support yourself but pay off your bills without living above your means is like hitting the lottery. You have bullish customer service jobs popping up all over the place but the cost of living all over America is steadily going up.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist but something's not right.

Last edited:
The system all messed up n college costs wayyy to much ...but some of these ppl straight soft, running out on sub 30k loans

College tuition keeps rising, book prices are ridiculous, resident students dealing with expensive cafeteria food. I have to research if schools in other parts of the world do students dirty like that.

It still blows my mind that so many people refuse to look at going to community colleges. Had 2 years of college paid off before I even went to a university. There have been so many of these crazy student loan debt stories out there and so much information online that there is no excuse for anyone with access to the internet to not understand the loan processes and how dangerous they can be.

I don't understand this.

If a person goes to school, gets a degree or multiple ones and then can't get a job in that field it's their fault? Not the state of the market and economy? You just gonna blame them for picking the wrong major? :lol: :smh:

I don't understand this.

If a person goes to school, gets a degree or multiple ones and then can't get a job in that field it's their fault? Not the state of the market and economy? You just gonna blame them for picking the wrong major? :lol: :smh:
The vast majority of it is their fault I am sorry. If someone goes to school and does everything they're supposed to they would have a job.

Key phrase being everything they're supposed to be doing which includes but is not limited to.

-Crushing their school work and graduating with Honors (Magna Cum Laude ideally)
-Getting several internships
-Joining student orgs
-Putting yourself in front of career services

Etc etc. The problem is that people don't realizd that college is a job. The idea that simply having a degree will net you a job died in like 08, I've never seen someone who totally handled their business not get a job post grad regardless of their field of study.

At some point you gotta look in the mirror and realize you messed up somewhere. It's your own fault.

I don't understand this.

The vast majority of it is their fault I am sorry. If someone goes to school and does everything they're supposed to they would have a job.

Key phrase being everything they're supposed to be doing which includes but is not limited to.

-Crushing their school work and graduating with Honors (Magna Cum Laude ideally)
-Getting several internships
-Joining student orgs
-Putting yourself in front of career services

Etc etc. The problem is that people don't realizd that college is a job. The idea that simply having a degree will net you a job died in like 08, I've never seen someone who totally handled their business not get a job post grad regardless of their field of study.

At some point you gotta look in the mirror and realize you messed up somewhere. It's your ow n fault.
Okay so lets assume for a second they do all that but don't get a job. Is it still their fault?

I mean I don't find your list crazy but the reason ppl don't want to consider college is a job is because they see friends, graduates, etc. not doing half of that and succeeding with ease.

IMO there's a bigger problem with student loans, these colleges and universities tuition, and quite frankly parenting.

I tend to wonder how millennials became the way they are. I'm not saying their exempt from blame but accountability can be spread around with this topic.

Last edited:
If I saw someone walk out of school with multiple internships, a 3.7+ GPA, and was given multiple shots to interview for a job through career services/their independent applications I would feel bad for them.

Idk anyone who was like that who didn't get one though.

At the end of the day any and all debt I have is my fault.

-My fault for not crushing high school and getting a full ride to anywhere I wanted.
-My fault for not making sure I was 100% informed
-My fault for not crushing undergrad and making sure I was in a position to pay all my loans off immediately post grad.

At the end of the day personal responsibility plays a factor, you put yourself in the hole. No one made me sign anything my signature can be found on all those loan docs.

THIS

Am I in debt, Yes

Is it my fault? Yes.

I take full responsibility for every loan I took out and will absolutely pay it off

At the end of the day any and all debt I have is my fault.

-My fault for not crushing high school and getting a full ride to anywhere I wanted.
-My fault for not making sure I was 100% informed
-My fault for not crushing undergrad and making sure I was in a position to pay all my loans off immediately post grad.

At the end of the day personal responsibility plays a factor, you put yourself in the hole. No one made me sign anything my signature can be found on all those loan docs.

THIS

Am I in debt, Yes

Is it my fault? Yes.

I take full responsibility for every loan I took out and will absolutely pay it off
Pretty much. The same goes for any other debt, just pay what you owe and be responsible.

Back
Top Bottom