*| | Denim _ School | |*

Does anyone get there denim tailored? I'm okay with the length even though its a little to long but I was hoping it would be more tighter on the leg area especially since I got super skinnys.  Should I get them tailored or no or would it ruin the fading process?

Last edited:
You can tailor them yourself.. I bought a sewing machine from craigslist $20(retail $90). Youtube how to taper jeans and voila.. Id try it out on a pair of jeans that you dont care for.. I was frustrated the first few attemps, but eventually i got it.. Our local cleaners charge $10.00/per pair which isnt bad but when you want 7 pair done and in nursing school, lol you can find a sewing machine cheaper.. Thread is like $2.90

Here is one bideo and you can also tailor dress shirts too if you have your own sewing machine..

Fam if your spending that much money on a pair of jeans, then you should get them tailored professionally.

Haha even if I wanted to tailor them myself I would first want to try with some regular pair of jeans first.  And when you say professionally does the local cleaners count?  I just contacted Blue Owl where I made my purchase and I know they offer complimentary hemming service.  To my understanding hemming is shortening the length right? I also asked if they can possibly make the leg area a little tighter than it is cause they fit like a slim pair even though I copped super skinny.  I don't like them skin tight at all but I like them nice and fitted on the leg area and a little loose on the thigh area.  Before I was copping pants from Zara which would do me justice.  And now I wanted to move on to raw denim, this is my first experience btw.

Professionally can be used loosely... Like i said i did the taper on a pair of arizona jeans(straight) took them to a embrodery store where the women in there were assassians when it comes to measurements.. The good thing about DIY you can always re take them up on spot.. Takes all of 5mins to taper a pair of pants...

Yes hemming is shortening.. I lurk this thread and im taking note on the diff aspects of ppls opinion on higher quality denim i think im going to dip my feet in thecwater and hope this doesnt turn into a denim craze for me.. I usually rock aeropostle jeans/levi 511's/arizona's never ventured out..

I'm going to send my denims to Blue Owl for there professional hemming.  Can you provide me with some hemming advice because I have to give them instructions on how to hem it. I folded the jeans just to my foot but I'll tell them to be a shy an inch so it'll still stack.  Or can you provide me with instructions on how to properly measure my hemming.

There are a few ways that i can think of but one that seems more simple is laying the pants out on a table/floor, use two fingers and lay them parallel with the hem, flip hem up to the fingers use pins(carefully) to hold in place and try on.. Keep pin in and take to cleaners with pinned measelurement..

I'm going to send my denims to Blue Owl for there professional hemming.  Can you provide me with some hemming advice because I have to give them instructions on how to hem it. I folded the jeans just to my foot but I'll tell them to be a shy an inch so it'll still stack.  Or can you provide me with instructions on how to properly measure my hemming.
http://blueowl.us/measurement-guide/

measure the inseam exactly like how they measure it.

then tell them what inch you want your jeans to be. 

You're making it sound more complicated than is really is. The process is really simple. Blue Owl uses (like many raw denim retailers) uses

chain stitching for their hems so there really is no "instructions on how to hem."

If you're spending $300+ on selvedge and want to get them tapered, due yourself a favor and spend an extra $70 and get them professionally tapered from railcar. The selvedge line will not be touched. The taper is taken from the inseam. I had a pair of 23 oz IH tapered weeks ago to a 6.25 inch leg opening, 7.25 knee, the quality of work is A1. I highly recommend them.

tapering amd hemming are differemt things, imho, no need go all out.to modify your.pair, hemming,.i.understand.

Came up big time today. I was able to grab all of the items below for only $147 dollars! Gotta love these Japanese Holiday Grab gift bag specials. Nudies for everyone!!!

Two pair of Sharp Bengt jeans (one raw, one washed)
One long sleeve shirt
One raw denim shirt
two coin wallets
One brown leather belt

Last edited:

If you want them tapered and hemmed send them to railcar http://www.railcarfinegoods.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1514.  Hemming is a simple process that most tailors can do since it's just lopping off extra fabric.  Stores like blueowl, railcar, and selfedge have special machines that allows for a chain stitch hem which creates a unique fading called roping at the end of your jeans. 
Came up big time today. I was able to grab all of the items below for only $147 dollars! Gotta love these Japanese Holiday Grab gift bag specials. Nudies for everyone!!!

Two pair of Sharp Bengt jeans (one raw, one washed)
One long sleeve shirt
One raw denim shirt
two coin wallets
One brown leather belt

Dang that's a really good come up.  Those wallets look so nice.  Where did you get the grab bag from?

If you want them tapered and hemmed send them to railcar http://www.railcarfinegoods.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1514.  Hemming is a simple process that most tailors can do since it's just lopping off extra fabric.  Stores like blueowl, railcar, and selfedge have special machines that allows for a chain stitch hem which creates a unique fading called roping at the end of your jeans. 
Dang that's a really good come up.  Those wallets look so nice.  Where did you get the grab bag from?

The Nudies store in Harajuku. All the bags are gone though.

:\   Man visiting/living in japan is the dream for denim heads everywhere.

You have no idea. I really can't complain about that. Getting Iron Heart and Samurais for $215 :smokin. The only bad part is that you can only consistently buy denim. Their shirt sizing are way too inconsistent. The denim sizing is universal, but their shirts/T-shirts are whole different story. Most of the shirts fall in that Japanese/Euro-ish/smedium size, so you'll need to do some major adjusting. In some brands you almost have to get a XXXL to equal a U.S. XL. That is if they even go that high.

PRL is horrible quality fam. If you want RL than RRL is the way to go. To me PRL is the new chaps of Polo imo.

Back
Top Bottom