Denver Nuggets (10-4) 2023-24 Season Thread: 11/22 @ Magic

[h1]http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7...e-sign-wilson-chandler-5-year-37-million-deal[/h1]
[h1]Nuggets give Wilson Chandler $37M[/h1]
Updated: March 18, 2012, 8:34 PM ET
Associated Press

DENVER -- Nuggets executive Masai Ujiri keeps tinkering with the roster as the playoffs draw near, trying to find just the right mix for coach George Karl.

Ujiri dealt away big man Nene at the trade deadline to free up money, presumably to help pull off this move: Agreeing to a five-year deal Sunday with versatile forward Wilson Chandler that's worth nearly $37 million.

Chandler has been itching to hoist up jumpers again in the NBA, even showing up to a Nuggets game last month where he received a rowdy round of applause from the Pepsi Center crowd and casually chatted with teammates in the locker room after the contest.

He played overseas for Zhejiang Guangsha of the Chinese Basketball Association during the lockout, averaging nearly 27 points and 12 rebounds in 32 games. Once the NBA season started back up, Chandler was ineligible to return until his team and FIBA, basketball's governing body, signed off.

When all the hurdles were cleared, he returned to the Mile High City.

"It is great to have Wilson back on our roster," Ujiri said. "It was a very unique situation signing a talented free agent in the middle of the season."

The 24-year-old Chandler arrived in Denver last February as part of the blockbuster trade that sent Carmelo Anthony to the New York Knicks. Chandler was an instant spark, helping the Nuggets go 18-7 down the stretch before falling to the Oklahoma City Thunder in the first round of the playoffs.

At 25-20, the Nuggets are in the thick of the Western Conference playoff chase.

And Chandler could once again be a big addition down the stretch.

On Thursday, Ujiri orchestrated a three-team trade that sent the injury-proneNene to Washington, with the Wizards shipping JaVale McGee and Ronny Turiaf to Denver and Nick Young to the Los Angeles Clippers. Washington also picked up forward Brian Cook in the deal along with a second-round pick in 2015 from the Clippers.

The Nuggets turned around and waived Turiaf on Sunday.

Denver signedhttp://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1713/-nene Nene to a new five-year, $67 million contract in December. He was averaging 13.4 points and 7.4 rebounds in an injury-plagued season. But the low-post presence of rookie forward Kenneth Faried madeNene and his big contract expendable.

Faried had a career-high 16 rebounds in a 98-91 win over the Boston Celtics on Saturday night.

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press

Benjamin Hochman @nuggetsnews

And so, since the trade has gone through, it appears that both JaVale and Wilson will be available tomorrow, #Nuggets vs Dallas

Reasons why we don't like George Karl:

1. Poor game manager when it comes to lineups, adjustments, and use of timeouts.

2. Constantly gives minutes to guys that are stinking up the place while impact players ride the bench. See Faried as an example. Nuggets fans knew Manimal was going to be solid but it took Mozzy, Nene, and Kufous to get hurt before he got any minutes. GK claims Manimal just wasn't ready. He kept giving AAA minutes when he played like crap for more than half the season and still hasn't played great since getting all that money.

3. Constantly throws players under the bus for his poor coaching.

4. He can never read the flow of the game. When guys have it going he'll quickly sub them out and when we get behind by 5 he puts that player right back in.

5. His offense philosophy sucks. He has all this versatile talent on the team, yet why do I have to see AAA and Al play one on one iso basketball every game?

Etc.

Karl's management of Faried's playing time against the Cs was inexcusable. The Nuggets' had a large double-digit lead in the 3rd, Faried is on the bench (having only played 19 minutes), and the Celtics close it to within 2 midway through the 4th. The Nuggets are getting killed on the boards, giving up second chance hoop after second chance hoop. (I believe Al was playing C, and Gallo playing the 4) He finally decides to do what any moron watching the game would have done and puts in Faried with 5 minutes left. A couple of big offensive rebounds, a couple of big buckets, big free throws, big defensive rebounds... Nuggets win. Faried single-handedly saved Karl's ^%# in that game.

I don't know why Karl's so damn insistent on running Big Al into the ground, too. It bothers me that his play has dropped back off after having such a great first month of the season, but I can't really blame him. Karl had him out there the entire 4th Q, I believe. He was gassed, couldn't grab a board. Why the hell is one of the most athletic, energetic players in the L, who had a great first half and has only played 19 minutes, chilling on the bench?!

That reminds me of the difference in a fan of a particular team watching them play vs a casual or basketball fan watching a team play.

Kevin Cleveland wrote:
At the time GK would rather play the ghost of Chris Anderson if it weren't for injuries he still wouldn't be playing.

Bird has hardly been the problem. He's played as well as anyone in the frontcourt. Mozgov and Harrington are the ones whose minutes should be cut.

30t6p3b.gif
@ the defensive rotations
laugh.gif
@ everyone tuning to see McGee only way he's getting off the bench is in a blowout 

So many injuries this season.

Denver Nuggets @denvernuggets
MILLER OUT: #Nuggets reserve PG Andre Miller has a separated right shoulder and will not play Wednesday vs. Detroit.

It will be just the fourth game Miller has missed due to injury in 13 NBA seasons and first since 2002-03 season.

GALLINARI UPDATE: #Nuggets F @Gallinari8888 (fractured left thumb) will not play Wednesday vs Detroit. No timetable for return.
Aaron J. Lopez @lopez_nuggets
FERNANDEZ AILING: #Nuggets guard @rudy5fernandez has a lower back strain and is questionable for Wednesday's game vs. Detroit.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Hope Gallo comes back soon.
You and me both. Him being out kills the Nuggets' offense. At least Chandler is now here to plug in at the starting 3 spot, rather than Brewer.

Ty really needs to step his game up now.

Afflalo traded his all of his defensive ability for some offensive game.
This road trip is gonna be interesting.

That defense was terrible. They trail the offensive player coming off the screen for the entire game, then with 50 seconds left the decide to switch and get a stop? It really took GK that long & that many made shots to make a defensive adjustment?

I was so frustrated for those final 3 quarters, but McGee's tip in instantly took that feeling away.

Meh, not much of a loss. He's hasn't played in that many games up to now, and when he has, he's usually shot worth crap & made terrible turnovers.

Soft %#$ league. 
30t6p3b.gif

Posted March 25, 2012, 9:31 am MT
[h1]NBA suspends Nuggets’ Arron Afflalo one game for elbow to the head ejection[/h1]
By The Denver Post

The NBA on Sunday suspended Nuggets guard Arron Afflalo one game without pay for his elbow to the head of the Jazz’s Gordon Hayward on Friday in Utah.

Afflalo was ejected for the foul, saying: ““It was a bad play on my part. I just kind of got frustrated with the game a little bit and tried to battle a few possessions here and there.

Back
Top Bottom