Do barbers make a good living?

My barber gotta supplement his income :smokin if you know what I mean. He got 3 young ones though so I know it's rough for him. Good news on my end is that he fasho gonna be my barber for another 18 years :lol:. He straight up told me he ain't gonna be **** else in life besides a blunt cheefin barber anyway. I ain't mad at it. I got the fam hookup price since we go way way back, but I know in the shop he charges something crazy like $35-100.

Mine started his own barber/cosmetology school. Think he's doing well too he keeps students enrolled & we've been chopping it up about a 2nd location. Dude is the ultimate hustler though he has his day job, runs the barber school nights after his day job then cuts for private clients in his spare time.

Last edited:
anyway,

a good barber should be able to cut 2 heads per hour.
at $10-$15 a head thats $20-$30/ hour plus any tips

barbers out there trying to really get it open around 6am and dont close til around 6pm 5 days a week

holidays? its not uncommon for those same barbers out there trying to get it to open at 6am and close after midnight.

do the math and thats a very good living.
they get paid in cash daily and have the ability to manipulate their taxes.

lazy barbers?
they open after 8am
take 1.5 hour lunches
and close promptly at 4:30pm

i could write a book on both
i come from a family of barbers and beauticians.
family owned barber shop/ beauty salon and beauty supply store since 1960

My barber outgrew me
mean.gif
, I scouted him early on coming out of college, now dude does 40$minimums with a schedule booked weeks in advance, also does ball players/celebs. House calls starting at 100$ minimum, He'll be a millionaire by 35. As with anything theres a spectrum. 

Last edited:
Any good barber makes about $30/hr before tips.

What about those slow days though? If I couldn't go to the shop on a friday i'd go m/t/w/th since i'd only have to wait behind another person at the most. Those days they usually chilling on their laptops or watching tv until people come in.

Some of these barbers use it as a front. Same with tattoo artist. many front on the gram and get caught up.
Neighbor got caught up after running prostitution ring out his shop.

my barber felt some type of way when everybody was growing fros like wiz. 

anyway,

a good barber should be able to cut 2 heads per hour.
at $10-$15 a head thats $20-$30/ hour plus any tips

barbers out there trying to really get it open around 6am and dont close til around 6pm 5 days a week

holidays? its not uncommon for those same barbers out there trying to get it to open at 6am and close after midnight.

do the math and thats a very good living.
they get paid in cash daily and have the ability to manipulate their taxes.

lazy barbers?
they open after 8am
take 1.5 hour lunches
and close promptly at 4:30pm

i could write a book on both
i come from a family of barbers and beauticians.
family owned barber shop/ beauty salon and beauty supply store since 1960

I stopped going to this one place because of mainly this. Their sign has a posted close time of 0500 pm. Yet there were a few times I would roll up at 4 and their door would already be closed.

Last edited:
I stopped going to this one place because of mainly this. Their sign has a posted close time of 0500 pm. Yet there were a few times I would roll up at 4 and their door would already be closed.

its a personal pet peeve of mine

plus a lot of US dont run our businesses in a professional manner

ive seen what you described argued, debated, and justified too many times.

im with you, ill straight up stop going to a place that does that.

yea no lie all you gotta do is have a good price, be in a community that has a large population of people who care about hair cuts

and be on it, it be droughts but if you got a good product and a good price youll have promoters who help you through em

Idk about everywhere else but out here people only getting cuts thur-sat to look fresh for the weekend. Anything earlier it will grow by then. So barbers are usually busy during those 3 days, say working 8am-6pm at $20 a cut aint much imo.

If they close at 5 and got 10 waiting how you figure that makes sense?

If they close at 5 and got 10 waiting how you figure that makes sense?

tough *******

what doesnt make sense is a business owner expecting their customers to guess or predict the future as to when an establishment is going to lock the door.

if you want to LEAVE at 5pm
your hours should either say that specifically or reflect it, meaning your close time should say 3:30 not 5:00 if you want to leave at 5:00

are there any other businesses out there who have posted hours but ignore them?
im seriously asking.

tough *******

what doesnt make sense is a business owner expecting their customers to guess or predict the future as to when an establishment is going to lock the door.

if you want to LEAVE at 5pm
your hours should either say that specifically or reflect it, meaning your close time should say 3:30 not 5:00 if you want to leave at 5:00

are there any other businesses out there who have posted hours but ignore them?
im seriously asking.
Do you want a reasonable answer? Because I am giving you one.

I have personally been in the shop in these cases, and I assure you in these situations they aint leaving until 8 or 9 o'clock. Easy. Tough on YOU because they still get business, and its the rule when it comes to these situations. They get the right to close when they want. Go to another shop, like I did. 

Know a barber/stylists that does really well.
Works 4 days a week and special events like weddings, photoshoots, etc. I assume he is doing well if he can buy a house in the bay area.

He has a solid client list. Think he was cutting some ball players every other week. I assume the tip on that must be nice

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom