Do you guys think this logo makes album covers look better?

:lol:

I can think of two stories right off the top of my head.

I remember I used to get my solid snake on, and would sneak my mother's copy of The Chronic to my room, and listen to it on like the lowest volume...with the door closed. Just the intro of the album to a 7-8 year old kid was like
Dat_Surprise_No.gif

Second story is just :lol: :smh:. I was in Target with my grandmother like right after The Black Album came out. I went to pick up a copy, and my Grandma hit me with "This is inappropriate :smh:". She then suggested what she thought was more appropriate for me to buy.....

The Cheetah Girls Soundtrack.

I left Target that day empty-handed and salty.
That was the reaction I got when I first heard SSLP. I was 12 years old and I must say, the shock value was overwhelming..lol

The first album I actually bought myself.

Hearing these opening lyrics at age 7:

When I met you I admit my first thoughts was to trick
You look so good huh, I suck on your daddy's ****

sick.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
sick.gif
that interlude tho, had me confused yet 
laugh.gif

My first CD was sublime and my mom gave it to me :lol: she accidentally received two copies from that place where you got mad CDs through the mail for like 20 bucks. She didn't care what i listened to.

I could never buy them from target though. So I learned if you put the price tag over the parental advisory sticker they would sell them to you. :pimp:

My Mon was actually cool with me listening to uncensored CDs, I just had to make sure not to repeat the lyrics :pimp:

I'm pretty sure every censored CD I ever had was bought by accident from an aunt or something :lol:

My mom used to cop me mad CDs from that mail order catalog (BMG I think?) too :pimp:

Last edited:
My first CD was sublime and my mom gave it to me :lol: she accidentally received two copies from that place where you got mad CDs through the mail for like 20 bucks. She didn't care what i listened to.

I could never buy them from target though. So I learned if you put the price tag over the parental advisory sticker they would sell them to you. :pimp:
I remember CD stores making you either have a parent or be 17 an older to purchase a CD with the PA sticker on the cover..lol.

I was a kid back then, I remember my sister had the new Big Pun album and I was intrigued by the Parental Advisory label...

View media item 1050543
I had to know what was on that cd....so I started bumpin it on her cd player at her job while I was there for a few hours. I opened the artwork to have a look inside and saw this as a poster....

View media item 1050544
I just remember sitting there like

View media item 1050545
while I held up the unfolded album cover all while boppin my head to "Not A Player"....

my sister came up behind me like...

View media item 1050546
:lol: :smh:

Never really got into censored albums, dad didn't care that we bought uncensored as long as we didn't carry ourselves in that manner.

Last edited:
First cd i copped with the logo was "Life After Death" I went to check out at "Soundwaves" and they denied me because I was too young. Came back with my uncle, and it was all good. [emoji]128526[/emoji]

sick.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
sick.gif
Biggie is THAT dude to me but how did he ever think it was a good idea to spit that line
mean.gif
laugh.gif

sick.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
sick.gif
Biggie is THAT dude to me but how did he ever think it was a good idea to spit that line
mean.gif
laugh.gif
He was the man...no one would question him on that line cuz he proved he could get women left right and center

I'm about to date myself, but **** it, most of y'all know that I'm old as dirt anyway though.

I'll NEVER :smh: forget coming home to a damn after school special, mom and dad sitting in my room on my bed and at my desk for a "talk" about what they found stashed in my drawer. You would've thought I had an elbow of chronic in my damn room. They were NOT feeling me having this album at all.

Nwa_-_100_Miles_And_Runnin-fronthin.jpg

The lecture they gave me was like I had committed a crime or some ****. :lol: But no lie, I was kind of shook. I think I was 11 or 12 at the time. I thought they were gonna grill me for hours. The awkward questions about what me and my friends talk about and think about the lyrics. :x Them playing the tape and asking me questions about they lyrics. :x :x

The topper though...

My pops playing this album in the car while I was with him the same damn year. :rolleyes Dude sold me out to look good in front of mom. :smh:

icet1.jpg

I remember when my step-dad copped me ludacris word of mouf. I was 14.

Hes a white guy and we were at best buy the cashier was like "this is for you?"
he said "no its for him"
"well um. it has this sticker. its reccomended you be over 18 to buy it"
"yeah i know"

:rofl:

what about when they had warnings next to it tho. like its funny to me people were really scared to endorse gangster rap like it was going to ruin a whole generation of kids and turn them into gangsters.

yo honestly tho, i think the chronic 2001 was the only album cover that looked better without the label

Last edited:
Yeah, I used to think it made the covers better. :lol:

Marshall Mathers LP def had the meaning EXPLICIT in full effect back then. :rofl:

Used to play the whole album and all these emoticons can describe the shock and awe I felt way back lol.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, plus 2 Live Crew . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
It STILL makes album covers better. When I'm getting album art for iTunes sometimes the google image hits will be covers without the parental advisory logo, can't have that.

I thought about this when I was updating my iTunes and giving stuff album art. Some albums just dont look right without the sticker.

Gonna date myself, just like Brolic. First song I ever heard that said something more than damn or hell was LL Cool J's "I'm Bad." I was in 6th grad and my friend had told me he had a tape that cussed and I didn't believe him. Went to his house to hear it and was in total shock. A couple weeks later, he told me about NWA's "F the Police," and again, I didn't believe him. Spent the night at his house, and had to wait til his parents left before he'd bust it out. It was seriously like we were hiding drugs or something LOL. Could not believe my ears. This was several years before the standard sticker that we all know & love. Back then, the words were just printed somewhere on the liner notes (for the hardcore stuff) or on a sticker on the cellophane wrapping (for the not as bad stuff). When my parents used to trip over what I listened to, I used to have to peel those off if I wanted them. My first Wal Mart experience was with LL's "Walking With a Panther." Never again. And to the dude who said Wal Mart used to sell uncensored or switched, they've always sold censored records. Occasionally an uncensored record would slip through the cracks, but they never knowingly sold Parental Advisory records.

I definitely went through a phase where I was obsessed with any record that had that sticker, though. I didn't do drugs or drink or anything, so to me, cussing on records was my contraband. Even bought the shirt with the sticker printed on it like Billy Hoyle.

Peace,
J

When my sister interned for a tv show that showed music videos, she would always get a ton of free stuff

she calls me up one day and asks me if i want that new D12 CD, I was like hell yeah i want that bring it!! :pimp:

it was censored version... had me like :smh: :rolleyes

Back
Top Bottom