Do you think Michael Jordan could have broken Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's scoring record if he hadn't take

It's just comical to me that people think dude was somehow above being mentally drained, :lol:

What's next, the man doesn't pee or poo?

::lol:

The man is at his retirement ceremony at the Bulls facility. What do you want him to say most of the team hates Jerry Krause?

Phil Jackson was already out the door.

Pippen wanted to test free agency market

Thats the diplomatic answer

There was no point in saying that real answer, when everybody who followed the NBA when the real answers.

This is more forthcoming answer by Jordan in recently interview. Jordan talks about it around the 20:00 minute mark til the 24:00
Notice how he didn't say anything about exhaustion, actually he sounds like a man who wanted to play more

This is another good resource about what was happening with the Championship Bulls teams with interviews with coaches, players, management and reporters around the team.

The common viewpoint from that video is that Jordan wanted to keep playing

Last edited:
Another good resource for what was going on with the 1998 team. These are essays Phil Jackson wrote for ESPN the Magazine during the 1998 season. Jackson reflects on Jordan saying he wont play for another coach, Phil feuding with Jerry Krause, Pippens feud with management, Phil openly lobbying for other jobs including the Lakers :wow:

These articles were coming out during the season. Everybody knew the reasons

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page...oric-1998-season-part-1-espn-magazine-archive

Last edited:
@ OP, definitely.

1986 breaks foot, then gets put on minutes restriction.  Plays minimal amounts of games.  Think it was like between 15 and 17 regular season game.

Retired to play baseball for what would equate to the last 2 years of his physical prime.  That '94 team w/ MJ would've won a 4x straight ring too.  And if he stayed and didn't get rusty, who knows if they could've won in 1995 too.

Back to the points.  MJ in '93 put up 33 ppg, allowing for slight regression let's say he'd average anywhere between 30 - 33 ppg.  In 1995 if he played the whole season, and not just 17 reg. season games?  Based on his 1996 numbers, I think it's safe to to say he'd be putting up around 31 ppg ... I'll give him another season of 31 ppg.

Then if Krause, PJ, and Pippen's egos didn't collectively destroy the Bulls.  Or if MJ would've stuck around to chase individual glory like current Kobe, assumably the years he missed until he retired @ 40 years old in 2003.

If at 35 years old in 1998, MJ was putting up 29 ppg.  Allowing for regression let's say:

1999:  28 ppg

2000:  27 ppg

2001:  26 ppg

Then his averages he had on the Wizards, assuming he plays all 82 games those seasons as he did from ages 33 - 35, and 40?  It would be a pretty safe bet that his accumlative point total playing until he was 40 years old would've definitely been higher than Kareem.

His career PPG average, and FG% took a massive hit with his out of shape, one knee, Floor Jordan Washington seasons.  He was a career 32 ppg player in the regular season.  That's CRAZY ABSURD career average volume per game.  That's T-Mac's best season, that's LeBron's best season, that's better than Wade's best season, and slightly inferior to Kobe's absolute BEST volume scoring season.

And it was Jordan's AVERAGE.  MJ's the best scorer of all-time.

Better than Kobe.

Better than West.

Better than Wilt.

His career playoff PPG, when competition and defense is at it's absolute best is the validity of that statement.

GOAT gonna GOAT

Last edited:
The bulls in 94-96' did not match up well with the Rockets. Take it for what it's worth, but during the regular season the Rockets had some very good success against the Bulls. Hakeem flat out dominated.

Also, Jordan and co. would have been exhausted defending the title for the fourth time. In my honest opinion, I don't even think they lose to the rockets because I feel as though they wouldn't have made the finals. They probably lose in 94 to Orlando in the same fashion in my estimation. As far as the scoring record goes, he probably could have had he played all the way through, injury free until 2001.

But 8 rings or more? :lol: :lol:

The bulls in 94-96' did not match up well with the Rockets. Take it for what it's worth, but during the regular season the Rockets had some very good success against the Bulls. Hakeem flat out dominated.

Also, Jordan and co. would have been exhausted defending the title for the fourth time. In my honest opinion, I don't even think they lose to the rockets because I feel as though they wouldn't have made the finals. They probably lose in 94 to Orlando in the same fashion in my estimation. As far as the scoring record goes, he probably could have had he played all the way through, injury free until 2001.

But 8 rings or more? :lol: :lol:

The Bulls went 4-2 against the Rockets in those seasons and Air Jordan only played in 2 of those games

Also Hakeem averaged less points and shot a worse percentage

Back
Top Bottom