Does anyone else ever be at work like "Yo, this can't be life"?

i just never got the whole 9a-5p thing when it really its like 8a-6:30p, when you factor in an hour lunch (thats so long) and commutes...

Gothenburg, Sweden is experimenting with a six-hour work day...interesting

True. I had 12 hour days when it was all said and done. That hour long commute due to traffic suuuuuuuuucked.

Been a stay-at-home dad for a touch over 2 years now, but it's time for me to head back to work soon.

Got a 4-yr degree and had a steady state government job for 3.5 years prior to staying at home. It was my first "real" job after college. I'd say I hated it about 95% of the time. I was chained to a desk and computer most the day and it just sucked the life out of me. Quite frankly, I'm surprised I made it there that long.

So now that it's time to find a job, I'm at a complete loss about what to do. Thinking about a desk job makes me mad depressed, but most other jobs I'm seeing simply don't pay well. I just don't want to be that guy who is 50 and hates his job. I've learned that I'm not a "company man" at all. In fact, if I could work by myself or be in charge of my own small company, I'd be perfectly happy. But I have zero clue on how I can turn what I love in life into a way to make money. Really, really, really sucks. I know a job isn't my life, but I spend so much time working that it only makes sense that I get some satisfaction from it. Can't see myself being that 9-5, rat race dude ever again, but it looks like I may have to say eff what I see in my future and just bite the bullet and join the race again. Not looking forward to it at all.
Don't do it bro, you know better already. You made it out once, you may not again lol. Try to find a small company if you must go back to the race, I hear it's generally not AS bad as the big businesses. If you need money for the fam though, do what you gotta do.

I'm interning at a big bank and its getting to my head already. I get paid well, but the hours I put in weekly along with my other workers is flat out ridiculous. I get in at 9 and don't leave until at least midnight. I always ask myself when Im going to work on a saturday morning or when its 2 am on Friday and I'm about to leave, "why do I do this?" The free dinners, networking, job offers, and salary are awesome and it will pay off. In the game of life you always just gotta work ahead and harder to get to another point in life

Feeling the same thing.

Working for target right now and it's hell.

Pure tedium.  I wanna jump off a bridge somedays its so boring.

I need to get a hit single, win the lotto, or something..

Last edited:
Well, I got laid off recently. As I am looking for a new job thoughts came to my head like I don't really want to go back to the corporate world anymore. Sure, I worked in product development and there is a lot more freedom and fun for me compared to a regular office job. But I feel like I just couldn't connect to my coworkers like that. I just couldn't get into their conversations or their type of humor. I never thought I would have this problem especially since a lot of them are fairly young engineers. Even before getting laid off, I wanted to leave because I was in a position where I felt like even though I was working well with my team and even having fun, I still felt aloof. This made me put too much thought into things like stepping on peoples toes or even being thrown under the bus. This was my first real job, so it felt like most of the companies I land in will most likely be similar or even worse.

I have a sstandard run of the mill office jobs, excel spreadsheets and answering emails all day.

Kinda off subject, but I always thought with how crappy he job market is people and the number of applicants there are, people who have jobs would take them seriously. I swear some of my coworkers spend 2+ hrs a day just on Facebook, buzzfeed, etc. :lol: I'm sitting over here burning my eyes into the screen and occasionally answering a text message and they're going through whole photo albums.

Maybe I need to give less damns...who knows.

Last edited:
I have a sstandard run of the mill office jobs, excel spreadsheets and answering emails all day.

Kinda off subject, but I always thought with how crappy he job market is people and the number of applicants there are, people who have jobs would take them seriously. I swear some of my coworkers spend 2+ hrs a day just on Facebook, buzzfeed, etc. :lol: I'm sitting over here burning my eyes into the screen and occasionally answering a text message and they're going through whole photo albums.

:lol:

Been a stay-at-home dad for a touch over 2 years now, but it's time for me to head back to work soon.

Got a 4-yr degree and had a steady state government job for 3.5 years prior to staying at home. It was my first "real" job after college. I'd say I hated it about 95% of the time. I was chained to a desk and computer most the day and it just sucked the life out of me. Quite frankly, I'm surprised I made it there that long.

So now that it's time to find a job, I'm at a complete loss about what to do. Thinking about a desk job makes me mad depressed, but most other jobs I'm seeing simply don't pay well. I just don't want to be that guy who is 50 and hates his job. I've learned that I'm not a "company man" at all. In fact, if I could work by myself or be in charge of my own small company, I'd be perfectly happy. But I have zero clue on how I can turn what I love in life into a way to make money. Really, really, really sucks. I know a job isn't my life, but I spend so much time working that it only makes sense that I get some satisfaction from it. Can't see myself being that 9-5, rat race dude ever again, but it looks like I may have to say eff what I see in my future and just bite the bullet and join the race again. Not looking forward to it at all.
Don't do it bro, you know better already. You made it out once, you may not again lol. Try to find a small company if you must go back to the race, I hear it's generally not AS bad as the big businesses. If you need money for the fam though, do what you gotta do.
Yeah, it's for the fam.  The young one is approaching pre-school age, so mission accomplished with me staying at home with her prior to being school age.  Time to get back to the daily grind.  **** hurts my soul just typing that.  
laugh.gif

Kinda off subject, but I always thought with how crappy he job market is people and the number of applicants there are, people who have jobs would take them seriously. I swear some of my coworkers spend 2+ hrs a day just on Facebook, buzzfeed, etc.
laugh.gif
I'm sitting over here burning my eyes into the screen and occasionally answering a text message and they're going through whole photo albums.

laugh.gif

My last job went like this:

8a-9a:  clock in, grab coffee, eat breakfast at my desk and chat it up with the homie across the hall

9a-11a:  do some real work, but nothing too heavy b/c lunch was at 11a

11a-12p:  lunch = nap in my office or car

12p-1p:  loitering, making music playlists, checking emails from friends, and getting back into the work groove after lunch

1p-4p:  this was my real work time--got a lot done in those 3 hours

4p-4:30p:  wrap up the real work

4:30p-5p:  staring out my office window mixed with trying to look busy, checking my timecard, planning my next call in day

Doesn't sound bad when I look at it now, but god it sucked so much.  It was such a mindless, unfulfilling 4 hours of work every day.  

Yeah, it's for the fam.  The young one is approaching pre-school age, so mission accomplished with me staying at home with her prior to being school age.  Time to get back to the daily grind.  **** hurts my soul just typing that.  
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

My last job went like this:

8a-9a:  clock in, grab coffee, eat breakfast at my desk and chat it up with the homie across the hall

9a-11a:  do some real work, but nothing too heavy b/c lunch was at 11a

11a-12p:  lunch = nap in my office or car

12p-1p:  loitering, making music playlists, checking emails from friends, and getting back into the work groove after lunch

1p-4p:  this was my real work time--got a lot done in those 3 hours

4p-4:30p:  wrap up the real work

4:30p-5p:  staring out my office window mixed with trying to look busy, checking my timecard, planning my next call in day

Doesn't sound bad when I look at it now, but god it sucked so much.  It was such a mindless, unfulfilling 4 hours of work every day.  
My friend was in the same position as you but now is in charge of running an online business. He makes his own schedule, travels often, revolve his life around athletic events. He feels much better about life than before while he was working for "the man"

Pretty much ready to move on to another job this Summer/Fall.
Working retail forces me to work most major holiday's, and weekends.
I'm not much of a go out and about guy, more of a family man.
About to update my resume, and apply to a lot of different jobs.

I drive big rigs over the road.

I'm over two years deep, and I can't say I've ever consistently complained about my job.
Good days and bad days for sure but it's like a 90/10 split. Definitely a sacrifice but worth it, IMO.
No students loans, savings account lookin stupid, plus it's not really hard work :smokin

I just wanted to say that seems like a cool job. At least I think I'd like it. I know there is down sides but every job has that. Do you work 3 weeks on 1 off or something?

I go to work everyday and hate my job. I work in a call center, thankfully I don't have to talk to customer unless they want a supervisor. But every damn time I am thinking this is the dumbest mother ****** I have spoken with and the next person I will talk to always seems to one up them. Really makes me realize how dumb people really are out there. Need to get back to finishing up in school though, been just kind of floating through life the last few years. Can't complain though, money is alright once bonuses are factored in and my position is pretty low stress. Also get nice perks, our whole center is closing Wednesday and a few hundred of us are going to Seattle for the night for a conference and a Macklemore show.

Man for real, OP. We gotta get our careers going. "I want a mortgage, I don't wanna pay a rent." - Troy Ave

i hate my job also but then i think of how much money is to be made (i dont make a lot) and how hard it is to find a job then it brings me back to reality of having negative feelings... the thing that sucks most well for me at least is that its such a grind and you have to do it everyday 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for a whole year...and its such a meaningless/tedious job all i do is send emails, do data entry and print out documents all day and if the printer is not working my job is useless... i work 2 hours overtime im suppose to work 8:30-5:00 but i work 7:30-6:00 to make ends meet and the first hour im at work im usually on my grind and the last hour at work im just chilling on the internet or taking selfies for instagram.... every hour for 10 minutes i go on the net usually on here or window shopping and then when i go use the bathroom i take the long way by going to the warehouse for no reason and ill check out this cam site on my phone... but to be honest its like stealing candy from a baby this job is so easy that its hard to leave... the annual raises though are nonexistent :smh:

Last edited:
My friend was in the same position as you but now is in charge of running an online business. He makes his own schedule, travels often, revolve his life around athletic events. He feels much better about life than before while he was working for "the man"

madd props to your friend

i respect that all day

i knew at a young age i was NEVER gonna be a office/cubicle worker, Im not diagnosed but i have too much energy for that life (adhd or whatever). I remember telling my father Im not gonna wear suits when Im older as a kid.

im off to a small business summit at 9am-12 today matter fact, hope to learn some stuff an meet some cool folks not to mention free breakfast at the golf course

Last edited:
i hate my job also but then i think of how much money is to be made (i dont make a lot) and how hard it is to find a job then it brings me back to reality of having negative feelings... the thing that sucks most well for me at least is that its such a grind and you have to do it everyday 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for a whole year...and its such a meaningless/tedious job all i do is send emails, do data entry and print out documents all day and if the printer is not working my job is useless... i work 2 hours overtime im suppose to work 8:30-5:00 but i work 7:30-6:00 to make ends meet and the first hour im at work im usually on my grind and the last hour at work im just chilling on the internet or taking selfies for instagram.... every hour for 10 minutes i go on the net usually on here or window shopping and then when i go use the bathroom i take the long way by going to the warehouse for no reason and ill check out this cam site on my phone... but to be honest its like stealing candy from a baby this job is so easy that its hard to leave... the annual raises though are nonexistent :smh:

ppl become content as hell with a gig like that.

go to work, go to gym, go home, wait for the weekend...........back to monday

ppl become content as hell with a gig like that.

go to work, go to gym, go home, wait for the weekend...........back to monday

I got a job like this and I got pretty content. I had a gf I was basically living with and smashing every night so there was always that to look forward to after work and NT kept me occupied during work. Made enough to live the way I wanted. Wasn't until I broke up with my girlfriend that I started getting ambitious looking for something else. Realized how much **** sucked when there's not much to look forward to except being by yourself after work. The weekends were terrible when I was single I would just binge on video games, TV shows, or sometimes just sit and do nothing :lol:

I mean things are still the same for me. Same job and everything. Except I hit the gym every day and read now, and started going back to school for my masters. So that stuff takes up the time I was wasting playing video games and watching TV. Have a plan to switch jobs in a couple years. And got a new gf but she lives out of state so I can have time to myself and save money while still getting it in every couple weeks. Can't complain for now but really looking forward to getting another job sometime soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom