Does WiFi drain smartphone battery?

man I can NEVER get a definitive answer on this. I was always told that if you are in an area with a strong wifi connections, you should turn Wifi on. But now I'm getting reports that it actually drains battery.

-The Juice

of course, if ur not using it, it shouldn't be on.

otherwise ur phone will keep looking for networks.

Simple answer YES, connection to a network doesnt matter, your phone is working to either stay connected or find a connection

Originally Posted by quik1987

of course, if ur not using it, it shouldn't be on.

otherwise ur phone will keep looking for networks.
But what if its connected to a strong network already?

-The Juice

turning on wi-fi is like turning on a radio in your phone. of course it uses batteries.

man shut up juice 
laugh.gif

Yeah it does drain it. Best to turn it off, along with stuff like GPS and the mobile network when you don't need it.

Originally Posted by JordanHead718212

Not for me, my battery gets crushed alot faster on 3g/4g than it does on wi-fi

Same here. My phone lasts a lot longer at home on wi-fi then out relying on 3G/4G. Probably because Sprint sucks and my phone struggles to load webpages while on mobile network. Wi-fi is so much quicker.

I do turn my wi-fi off when I'm on the move so it doesn't constantly search

Originally Posted by youngdoc

Originally Posted by JordanHead718212

Not for me, my battery gets crushed alot faster on 3g/4g than it does on wi-fi

Same here. My phone lasts a lot longer at home on wi-fi then out relying on 3G/4G. Probably because Sprint sucks and my phone struggles to load webpages while on mobile network. Wi-fi is so much quicker.

I do turn my wi-fi off when I'm on the move so it doesn't constantly search

That's because 3G/4G trade off power efficiency for data transfer efficiency.  There is a ton of research in how to make that style of data transfer power effective.

See. Now look, people in favor of wifi. I think if you are in a area of strong conncection, wifi doesnt drain as much as if you were on 3G/4G

-The Juice

Yes.. If your low on battary turn yer wifi , 3 g or even yer data off... Yer fone would last a few days this wayW

Back
Top Bottom