eBay changes FVFs to include shipping. No more $200 shipping quotes

Knew it was going to happen.

http://announcements.ebay.com/

Updates for sellers coming this spring and summer will give your buyers more reasons than ever to shop on eBay—a handy, familiar shopping cart, confidence in reasonably priced shipping, easier shopping for popular products in many categories, and more—all of which means more sales for you.  Plus you’ll get more tools and support from eBay to maximize your profits.

Updates that impact your selling are consolidated with lead time to adapt. These updates are scheduled to launch between April 19 and May 23 unless otherwise noted. This is the first of two seller updates for 2011.

FREE to list Auction-style—any start price—plus FREE Buy It Now for sellers without a Store subscription. Final Value Fees updated to reward low-cost shipping for all sellers.

• Sellers subscribed to a Store: To reward free and low-cost shipping, Final value Fee rates will be reduced and applied to the total amount of sale—including shipping—starting July 6. As always, you get the same low Insertion Fees—as low as 3¢.
  • Sellers not subscribed to a Store: Starting April 19, list Auction-style FREE up to 50 items a month—any start price—and add the Buy It Now option FREE to capture those buyers in a hurry. You pay only if your item sells. Auction-style Final Value Fees will apply to the total amount of sale, including shipping. Starting July 6, Fixed Price Final Value Fee rates will be reduced and applied to the total amount of sale, including shipping.
  • Seller discounts: eBay Top-rated sellers continue to earn 20% discount on Final Value Fees. Current 5% discount will be retired June 1 for PowerSellers who are not Top-rated. All other benefits continue for all.
For the vast majority of eBay sellers—especially those already offering free or low-cost shipping, these updates mean overall fees will be reduced or stay about the same. Get details on the coming fee update.

Easy shopping and buyer confidence mean more sales for you

Updates to the way buyers can browse and shop will keep them coming back for more.
  • New eBay Shopping Cart lets buyers add items, both Auction and Fixed Price, from multiple sellers and pay in one easy checkout—making it fast and easy to buy more with each visit.
  • New way to shop for popular products coming to more electronics categories and books. Listing with the eBay catalog will be required in these categories.
  • Clothing, Shoes & Accessories buyers will find your listings even faster shopping by brand, style, color, size type, and size. Item specifics will be required in these categories.
  • Motors Parts & Accessories: To build confidence and reduce buyer questions, sellers will be required to specify shipping and handling time, return policy, and item condition.
  • For sellers who don’t meet eBay’s minimum selling standards and sellers with little or no selling history, funds from buyer payments will be unavailable for a period of time to ensure successful fulfillment.
Updates to boost your efficiency and profitability.
  • New communications hub helps you manage contacts with buyers from one tab in My eBay.
  • Sell worldwide: Specifying international shipping cost and carrier will be required to build confidence and reduce buyer questions. Updates to the Seller Dashboard will give you more insights into your global performance standing, helping you improve your service and grow sales.
  • Category and Item Specific changes consolidated with these updates. Find out if your listings are affected.
Get complete details about the Spring Seller Update and how these changes affect you.

Bookmark the Seller Checklist to stay on top.

For more insight, you’re also invited to:
  • Join me and other leaders from eBay in a Town Hall meeting on Wednesday, March 16. Check the Announcement Board for more details coming soon.
As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

somehow I don't think this is legal and will see all kinds of repercussions from this

people only do it because of how greedy eBay is...it's only a matter of time before eBay goes under

when it's all said and done, eBay ends up getting about a 20% cut from your total profit

mad.gif
This is only going to make selling on ebay more ridiculous. It's bad enough that you can't leave negative feedback for buyers. Now they're trying to get a cut of shipping too? They're already double dipping with paypal.

Originally Posted by StillIn729

somehow I don't think this is legal and will see all kinds of repercussions from this

people only do it because of how greedy eBay is...it's only a matter of time before eBay goes under

when it's all said and done, eBay ends up getting about a 20% cut from your total profit

I'm pretty sure it is.  Bonanza does it if the shipping is greater than $10.  The vast majority of sellers do not try to circumvent fees so most are not going to be terribly affected by these changes. And score on the lower fixed price FVFs, when I do sell on eBay it's always fixed price. 

Originally Posted by Nawth21

I'm pretty sure it is.  Bonanza does it if the shipping is greater than $10.  The vast majority of sellers do not try to circumvent fees so most are not going to be terribly affected by these changes. And score on the lower fixed price FVFs, when I do sell on eBay it's always fixed price. 

eBay is one of the most corrupt companies running, they are just continually setting the stage up for their own doom.
-buyers pretty much have free reign, they can leave negative feedback w/o even paying for items

-fees have just become outrageous and less and less sellers use eBay

-the amount of unpaid buyers and how long you have to wait to file is ridic., if they don't pay it should be a 48 hour turn around instead it's 8 days minimum

I closed my eBay account, I finally had enough and I have been selling for 13 years...they try to make it hard for you to close your account by requesting a written letter because they know most people won't do it but I basically told them F YOU and I know the tactics you use, here is my credit card pay off the balance and close my account, I don't need to provide you anything and I know this.

Originally Posted by Nawth21

eBay is one of the most corrupt companies running, they are just continually setting the stage up for their own doom.
-buyers pretty much have free reign, they can leave negative feedback w/o even paying for items

-fees have just become outrageous and less and less sellers use eBay

-the amount of unpaid buyers and how long you have to wait to file is ridic., if they don't pay it should be a 48 hour turn around instead it's 8 days minimum

I closed my eBay account, I finally had enough and I have been selling for 13 years...they try to make it hard for you to close your account by requesting a written letter because they know most people won't do it but I basically told them F YOU and I know the tactics you use, here is my credit card pay off the balance and close my account, I don't need to provide you anything and I know this.

eek.gif
, they really do that?
indifferent.gif
The hell do they think they are? Didn't even realize that.

If I didn't already have a decent feedback account before they started holding onto funds I probably wouldn't even bother selling on there. I only do fixed price and private auctions, I won't see a change in the fees I pay for fixed listings, but now there's no point in doing private auctions anymore. A lot of prices on there are already inflated because of the sharp increase in final value fees a couple of years ago. Improved buying experience my
grin.gif

Ebay will not go under final another reliable site comes up and is willing to refund and mediate for bad transactions

I don't think it's fair that they charge more fees for some categories that are popular.

For example they charge 12% FVF for CLOTHING / SHOES / ACCESSORIES, yet they only charge 8% FVF for electronics.
Then you get 4% taken off from PAYPAL, which is owned by EBAY!!!

But.............. Ebay is reliable, and has a proven track record of fast transactions.

I love seeing these sellers cry. LOL at 'ebay is on it's way out.'

Buyers reign supreme
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Buyers reign supreme
pimp.gif

The thing is that you'll probably eventually sell some of your stuff. Its just a natural progression of a sneakerhead.

Well eventually, items going for a "steal" price will become scarce. I introduced my cousin to eBay last year. He sold mostly cell phone items and electronics. Not even 5 months into selling, he gave up.  He didn't produce enough profit to continue going out buying supplies, driving to the post office, waiting for his funds to be deposited into his account, etc. After that 5 month ordeal, he pretty much broke even.

Granted, he wasn't the smartest eBay seller. He could have easily avoided a few of those obstacles. He could easily request USPS to pick-up the packages instead of driving to the post office, ordered supplies directly from the USPS for free, but the fact of matter remains it's a lot of work for a little bit of profit. Let's not forget the fact that sometimes you face the possibility of an illiterate buyer who may file a claim because they failed to read the description of an item.

All of this factors in to summarize that it's not worth selling on eBay - and I haven't even got to the fee part.

I haven't sold anything there in 2-3 years. I probably won't ever again either.

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Buyers reign supreme
pimp.gif

The thing is that you'll probably eventually sell some of your stuff. Its just a natural progression of a sneakerhead.
Nah I never considered myself a "sneakerhead" but I've been into sneakers for over a decade and don't see that changing. I'm not one of those guys sittin on +100 pairs of sneakers. I buy what I like and I buy to wear. I've given away more sneakers than I've sold over the years.

I didn't mean to thread jack, I was just messing around as seller hardships don't affect me.

edit:
Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Welleventually, items going for a "steal" price will become scarce. Iintroduced my cousin to eBay last year. He sold mostly cell phone itemsand electronics. Not even 5 months into selling, he gave up.  He didn'tproduce enough profit to continue going out buying supplies, driving tothe post office, waiting for his funds to be deposited into hisaccount, etc. After that 5 month ordeal, he pretty much broke even.
Yea you're right, I guess in the big picture seller hardships affect me more than I realized as I've seen the bolded  start to happen even just over the last year or two.

Those absurd shipping fees used to get me HEATED... Like I'll see some BIN V's for like $15 BUY IT NOW and then when I click into the auction shipping is like $650. 
sick.gif
laugh.gif

I'm glad eBay is changing it up... If you're gonna use their site you should abide by the rules, terms and conditions. It was only a matter of time before eBay put an end to this "LOOPHOLE".

Originally Posted by airbornho

mad.gif
This is only going to make selling on ebay more ridiculous. It's bad enough that you can't leave negative feedback for buyers. Now they're trying to get a cut of shipping too? They're already double dipping with paypal.
^^ I approve that statement!

Back
Top Bottom