EBay's profits fell 31% this year...

Due to "recession"....

...But i think its more because of the "new fees"
grin.gif

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/bbdp/ebay-profit-revenue-fall-amid-recession/313720http://money.aol.com/news...all-amid-recession/313720

No surprise... More restrictions, more Paypal requirements, more fees, and people not wanting to deal with fake products.

I hate ebay.

Originally Posted by nnarum

No surprise... More restrictions, more Paypal requirements, more fees

I hate ebay.
sums it up

being greedy was ebay downfall

Theres been a LARGE shift in the market from auction based selling to a more of a straight up classified type sales transaction (Craigs List, etc.)

The eBay market is overflooded with too many sellers and people trying to earn a living through this medium. The original intentions of eBay were give aperson the opportunity to get rid of things they did not want anymore. The hope was that someone out there would want that item and it could create a smallamount of revenue for the person selling the item. As with anything else in society, it caught on like a wildfire and people took advantage of it.

The fees and the hassle of dealing with other bidders has made it a difficult way to earn money.

Craigs list is the way to go if youre looking for something and want fewer hassles.

yea eBay and paypal holding your earnings is really annoying!
Ive seen this happening a lot lately with all the posts on it

but the paypal revenue climbed almost 11 percent to $623 million.

the economy is one of the problems but their fee's are driving sellers away, I do everything I can to do a transaction off ebay I'd rather save thecustomer money than ebay getting a dime of it. Not only are the fee's crazy but their regulating shipping cost on certain items and sellers can'taccept money orders anymore.

Theres been a LARGE shift in the market from auction based selling to a more of a straight up classified type sales transaction (Craigs List, etc.)

The eBay market is overflooded with too many sellers and people trying to earn a living through this medium. The original intentions of eBay were give a person the opportunity to get rid of things they did not want anymore. The hope was that someone out there would want that item and it could create a small amount of revenue for the person selling the item. As with anything else in society, it caught on like a wildfire and people took advantage of it.

The fees and the hassle of dealing with other bidders has made it a difficult way to earn money.

Craigs list is the way to go if youre looking for something and want fewer hassles.
Yep, there are far too many people trying to scour their area for cheap crap to sell. But common sense says that in a recession, they would be oneof the few types of business that would post a profit or minimal losses, since people would be looking to get what they wanted for as cheap as possible, andpeople would have more stuff to get rid of. But the fees scared a lot of people off, since a lot of people made their profits off volume.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
at ebay taking a cut out of everything you sell like they don'talready have billions

The funny thing is that I was thinking about this the other day. I haven't sold anything on ebay in a while so I wasn't familiar with the new feestructure. I recently decided to flip some power tools I bought cheap at a store closing. The first thing i noticed was that there were other people sellingthe exact same item for cheaper then i wanted to sell my item, so basically to be competitive I had to lower my price, so instead of making $20 per unitI'm down to like $10. I can live with that. So I sell my first one, and the ebay fee's itself was over $4. I'm flippin out. Keep in mind the buy itnow price was only $30. That didn't even include the paypal fee. So now I'm down to like $6 profit which isn't even worth it. Then I go to the postoff, and it cost me over $11 to ship it. I was certain $10 would cover the shipping cost AND the ebay fee's, but it didn't even cover the shipping dueto the post office raising prices. So now I'm making nothing, and that's why Ebay's profits are down 30% because I'm not selling anything onthere again unless it's 50%+ profit.

How could Ebay be so stupid? They basically ran out all small margin resellers who rely on volume rather than big profits. I really don't understand theirbusiness structure. Why did they need to keep raising their fee's?

And it's not just ebay. There is so much competition on ebay these days which causes people to keep lowering the prices of the items they want to sell.That decreases your profits to the point that it is no longer worth selling. You lose, and then ebay loses not only because they don't collect you listingfee's, but also because they could be collecting higher fee's from higher price auctions if everyone wasn't cutting down each other's price.Seriously, my auction buy it now price was $29.99. Some listed their auction for the same item the next day for $29.90

I remember when ebay fee's were irrelevant and paypal was free. What happened?

The funny thing is that I was thinking about this the other day. I haven't sold anything on ebay in a while so I wasn't familiar with the new feestructure. I recently decided to flip some power tools I bought cheap at a store closing. The first thing i noticed was that there were other people sellingthe exact same item for cheaper then i wanted to sell my item, so basically to be competitive I had to lower my price, so instead of making $20 per unitI'm down to like $10. I can live with that. So I sell my first one, and the ebay fee's itself was over $4. I'm flippin out. Keep in mind the buy itnow price was only $30. That didn't even include the paypal fee. So now I'm down to like $6 profit which isn't even worth it. Then I go to the postoff, and it cost me over $11 to ship it. I was certain $10 would cover the shipping cost AND the ebay fee's, but it didn't even cover the shipping dueto the post office raising prices. So now I'm making nothing, and that's why Ebay's profits are down 30% because I'm not selling anything onthere again unless it's 50%+ profit.

How could Ebay be so stupid? They basically ran out all small margin resellers who rely on volume rather than big profits. I really don't understand theirbusiness structure. Why did they need to keep raising their fee's?

And it's not just ebay. There is so much competition on ebay these days which causes people to keep lowering the prices of the items they want to sell.That decreases your profits to the point that it is no longer worth selling. You lose, and then ebay loses not only because they don't collect you listingfee's, but also because they could be collecting higher fee's from higher price auctions if everyone wasn't cutting down each other's price.Seriously, my auction buy it now price was $29.99. Some listed their auction for the same item the next day for $29.90

Back
Top Bottom