engagement /marriage thread.

Interesting.....did not know this thread existed.

I guess I might as well ask here cause I have no clue how to do this. How did you guys go about buying a ring for your girl/fiance? I have no idea where to look or whether online is something that is considered or just going to retail shops. Anyone want to shine some light on the best way to do this? And what is the average price on rings that looks suitable? And do most of you guy pay cash or is getting a credit card an option?

so i don't think marriage is in the near future( next 1-2 years)

been with my girl almost 4 years freshmen year college to post grad and were both full time workers.

she's looking to apply to med school in 2016, so that means she'll be around 32 all said in done. so should i propose before all that- were turn 23 next year so i was thinking until at least 25 or so.

does anyone have a SO that's going through med school? and i saw the post about cohabitating a place- is that really necessary?

thank's yall

I dropped 15 k on my wedding
Dressed up a communty center/garden
Meat markets get your food on the cheap
Plus my wife friends mom run a funeral home so she hooked us up with her florist.

If you talk to people you can get some deals

College Student photographer = cheap

Looking at these numbers making want to never get married. She goin to need to wait until all my loans are paid off.

Interesting.....did not know this thread existed.

I guess I might as well ask here cause I have no clue how to do this. How did you guys go about buying a ring for your girl/fiance? I have no idea where to look or whether online is something that is considered or just going to retail shops. Anyone want to shine some light on the best way to do this? And what is the average price on rings that looks suitable? And do most of you guy pay cash or is getting a credit card an option?

I went to the retail shop. I found it cheaper to buy the diamond and the band separate as opposed to buying the set already put together. Normally, if they've had diamonds on display for a while, chances are you can negotiate on the price of the diamond. For example, the diamond I ended up buying my wife had been on display for a while. I ended up getting about a grand off that price. The same diamond would have cost 2 grand more based on the market value at the time. In the end I saved about 4 grand on the engagement ring (I spent almost $9k on the ring all said and done).

I believe there are financing options available thru the retailers. Fortunately, my retailer allowed me to put a nice down payment for him to take the diamond off the floor, and I made payments every paycheck (layaway basically) until I paid it off. I knew I was a few months out from proposing and that was an easier way without taking a huge hit at once financially.

Man yaw ill spending 50k , 100k on a weddding. aint no way in heck I'm spending that much, then again i been with my chick for a long time so a wedding is really nothing

We are getting married but we only spending about 6k..

Skip that, I can buy another house for 50 or 100k

we are probably going to get married in Las Vegas or on a party boat. her aunt is going to marry us. Have a Dj on the boat, lots of food, beer and liqiuor and lets cruise lake michigan and party off into the night and call it the day. The boat i think cost about $2,500 for the day/night

We been eyeing different wedding packages in las vegas like this one..http://www.theweddingchapeloflasvegas.com/las-vegas-wedding-specials/

yea im cheap

I think this is a great idea but we are both dudes. As long as your girl is truly fine with it and not on some passive ish you should be good. But only the Lord really knows though :lol: :smh:

Just make sure all the right people are present

I went to the retail shop. I found it cheaper to buy the diamond and the band separate as opposed to buying the set already put together. Normally, if they've had diamonds on display for a while, chances are you can negotiate on the price of the diamond. For example, the diamond I ended up buying my wife had been on display for a while. I ended up getting about a grand off that price. The same diamond would have cost 2 grand more based on the market value at the time. In the end I saved about 4 grand on the engagement ring (I spent almost $9k on the ring all said and done).

I believe there are financing options available thru the retailers. Fortunately, my retailer allowed me to put a nice down payment for him to take the diamond off the floor, and I made payments every paycheck (layaway basically) until I paid it off. I knew I was a few months out from proposing and that was an easier way without taking a huge hit at once financially.

Right on. Thanks for that info. I wonder if you can get diamond separate on a ring below. I feel like this is the trendy ring and see most girls getting that.

So I am assuming something in the $10K range is good right? I know some folks that got their girls $2K rings, which is fine and I am not even that dude but my girl works and knows other girls that are getting phat ol' rings. One of her friends even got a $40K ring if you can believe that. I ain't even got that type of bread.

50896_setmain

Right on. Thanks for that info. I wonder if you can get diamond separate on a ring below. I feel like this is the trendy ring and see most girls getting that.

So I am assuming something in the $10K range is good right? I know some folks that got their girls $2K rings, which is fine and I am not even that dude but my girl works and knows other girls that are getting phat ol' rings. One of her friends even got a $40K ring if you can believe that. I ain't even got that type of bread.

You can get the center diamond separate for sure, you'll just have to find the band and have it put on. It's hard to say what range is good for a ring because there are many factors that determine the price (the 4C's). Quality will obviously cost more. To give you an example, a good friend of mine has a rock on her, i think somewhere close to a 2ct center diamond. I believe the ring was appraised around the same cost as my wife's. I got my wife a .75ct diamond (luckily she has small hands so it looks decent on her haha) and it pops/shines WAY more than my friends (my wife has a hearts of fire set BTW).

I would recommend going into the retail shop to look around and see what fits your budget and plans best. It will give you a good idea on what the differences and you can go from there. I asked a ton of questions when i first started looking around as i didn't know anything about diamonds or rings. 

Skip paying thousands on a ring. I got a moissanite ring for my girl and she love it and it blings.. It's like a real diamond and even some jewelry stores had a hard time telling the difference...

bout one similar to this one with 1.50 CT for about $600 -$800. no shame in my game. my girl even told me to get those moissanite ring because a rich person put her own to it and after doing research i found out isn't really any difference and the ring blings.

the good thing is I can update it for cheap when ever I want or replace it with another design ring cheaply

171261.jpg

Last edited:
my girl even told me to get those moissanite ring

171261.jpg
she's a keeper.

cus I feel like preaching:
People go so hard over rings and **** that dont matter. Your wife aint gonna look at the ring and change her mind before she lets Tyrone do some interior decoration.
Just be smart about what your spending and remember this a life long journey not a show. So your value should be your marriage not the superficial stuff that come with in.

Last edited:
I think this is a great idea but we are both dudes. As long as your girl is truly fine with it and not on some passive ish you should be good. But only the Lord really knows though :lol: :smh:

Just make sure all the right people are present

this was her ideal.. but I'm thinking ain't nobody coming to our wedding in Vegas because everyone we know cheap or broke lol but we have some family out there

but when you say have the right people there what do you mean?

Last edited:

50896_setmain

if I came home with a 40k ring heck even 5k my girl would throw me out the house until I returned that ring and tell me dang fool spending all that money on a ring

I would check out betterthenadiamond or blueniles for that ring. probably can cop for like 1k

Proposed at dodger stadium in June of this year.

Went great.

Had her family and friends there. Bought group tickets. She thought we were celebrating my birthday. LOL

It was supposed to come across on the screen but they messed up so I just free styled it.

One of the best days of my life.

Our first date was at Dodger Stadium so it was fitting.

Now we are planning the wedding. We are actually going to do something small because we would rather spend that money on a house then a wedding.

I can't believe people are paying 20K for a wedding...SMH

Back
Top Bottom