Engineering Majors?

Impossible to be a full time engineering student with a full time job. Not enough hours in the day

Anything is possible. I worked as an intern at a Construction Contractor, which turned into a full time Project Engineering position, while going to school full time.

I did that for the last 2 years of school. It was tough, but possible.

Agreed. I just finished up my first year in Civil Engineering and even with the classes I took the past year (Calc 1&2, Physics, Chemistry,etc...) I dont think I'd be able to be an adequate student and work a full time job.

Also, congrats to the graduates in here. Hopefully one day I'll reach that pinnacle.

In other news, I take statics next semester in the fall and for some reason I am overly excited to take this course.:smokin

Statics was cool, Dynamics was better :smokin

It's tough to work full time and be a full time engineering student. I think you can manage it with a part time job/internship. I was a full time student-athlete for my first few years, and it was really tough. Luckily, i learned some nice time management skills that made it easier the last few years of college. 

Materials was one of my worst classes. I took structures 2 for some odd reason and I regretted every minute of it. I worked part time around 20 hrs/week for 3 years during school and my GPA suffered as is, working 40 hrs/week I couldn't imagine you would have adequate time to study/do homework unless you had time while at work

Any tips for landing internships, going into my last couple semesters and have yet be an intern.

I don't understand why I don't have an internship for the summer. I've been to multiple career fairs, and they all say the same thing: that my resume looks good. So why I am stuck at home bored out mind? Maybe I have to improve my networking skills or something.

I'm takin Dynamics over the summer. Just took statics, should've got a B smh. But I understand the material, and the professor (who has various awards and positions) knows I put in the work. I'm already dreading mechanics of materials and fluid mechanics next semester.

Last edited:
Network , fellas. Have someone review your resume and cover letter.

It happens, just keep applying and make sure you include every single important course, team project, academic accomplishment, etc. My initial resume included what I did in some of my labs, I.e. My hydraulics lab for Fluids, lab for soils, concrete design, etc. Some employers enjoyed hearing what I knew and what theories I could actually apply in real-life. They understand that you can do the math.

My resume has gotten better every year and have excluded those once I've gained actual experience, but I've heard of people applying to over 100 different companies before receiving their first internship. Don't expose your weaknesses (for example, your GPA is real low, just don't include it)

When you say work in labs, you mean we can include the experiments performed? For example, I know next semester in my solids lab, our professor has us make our own lab. That sounds like something good for a résumé

Rep @whatcanisay, thanks for replying. Imma use your wise words to my advantage.

This thread is nice, imma bout to take the EIT within the next months any more advice to add to the ones already said.

Last edited:
Definitely gonna need an internship next summer. This summer I'm focusing on just having a summer job and saving funds for the next semester since I feel I dont have much experience to adequately apply for an internship. However starting this summer hopefully I can get some networking in the works for next year.

Might be obvious, but also broadcast to family and friends that you're seeking an engineering internship.

Not at all ashamed to say all of my undergrad internships were the result of personal connections: neighbor, friend of the family, and a lady at my moms hair salon (Srs).

Campus recruiting is tricky due to volume and also the sometimes limited capacity that those recruiters can actual serve you, but that avenue can certainly work out well too.

Opportunities can come up from unexpected places, doesn't hurt to explore for them, in some cases they could become the foundation of your career.

For engineer students in the DMV, I might be able to help out w internships, but this seasons recruiting is already closed, so earliest would be for next summer.

dang my resume sucks. I have no clue what to put in it that I could use from school. As far as internships go, do you need to have Engineering as a major on your resume before they can actually consider to give you in interview? I have liberal arts and science as my major but it's so useless when my advisor won't let me change it for some odd reason smh. I definitely need to find an internship in the future

As far as internships go, do you need to have Engineering as a major on your resume before they can actually consider to give you in interview?

Typically, yes.

But are you transferring to become an engineering student? If so, put that on your resume.

Technical internships are competitive enough for engineering students, doubt students outside of engineering school are given much considered (maybe physics and math majors).

Places where I've helped hire interns, we generally looked for relevant coursework (at least fundamentals), projects, and grades (either 3.0 or 3.5 requi, then, if applicable, previous internships.

Any tips for landing internships, going into my last couple semesters and have yet be an intern.

Talk to as many recruiters as possible. Even if it's a company that you might not necessarily be interested in working for post-graduation, you can at least get your feet wet, see what it's like working in the field, and get some experience on your resume. Who knows, you might even like it.

On a side note, I cannot stress the importance of internships/Co-Ops enough. I'm not saying you won't be able to get a job without that experience (it can hurt you, though), but it's definitely critical to helping you define your career path. I was able to figure out not what I want, but more importantly, what I didn't want.

Network , fellas. Have someone review your resume and cover letter.

It happens, just keep applying and make sure you include every single important course, team project, academic accomplishment, etc. My initial resume included what I did in some of my labs, I.e. My hydraulics lab for Fluids, lab for soils, concrete design, etc. Some employers enjoyed hearing what I knew and what theories I could actually apply in real-life. They understand that you can do the math.

My resume has gotten better every year and have excluded those once I've gained actual experience, but I've heard of people applying to over 100 different companies before receiving their first internship. Don't expose your weaknesses (for example, your GPA is real low, just don't include it)

When you say work in labs, you mean we can include the experiments performed? For example, I know next semester in my solids lab, our professor has us make our own lab. That sounds like something good for a résumé

Whatever experiments, tests, calculations, etc. you do in your labs and actually understand what you're doing, include it in your resume.

Make sure you know what you're talking about since they will ask you.

If you include that you're familiar with certain software (CAD, Revit, VISSIM, HCS, Java, matlab, etc.) Make sure you are actually proficient in them or just don't mention it at all. Or make sure you get proficient in them.

yeah don't put down stuff you don't thoroughly know like the back of your hand.

one of my first interviews they asked me about my experience with Arduino, since I mentioned an early team project that used it. I really don't mess around at all with Arduino so it made for an uncomfortable 5-8 minute conversation.

You want the interview to be a 100% display of all your skills and your confidence in those skills.

I'm not saying you won't be able to get a job without that experience (it can hurt you, though), but it's definitely critical to helping you define your career path. I was able to figure out not what I want, but more importantly, what I didn't want.

Wouldn't say internships "define" career paths, bu they certainly boost a resume to make it more attractive to employers (if that's what you meant).

Engineers in general are very versatile professionals, I know a guy that went from mechanical design to a hedge fund (though post-MBA). I'm planning to do something similar (though not in finance). So to say summer internships define a 30+ yr career sounds like an overstatement to me.

My 3 internships had nothing to do with my first job, and my first job doesn't have much to do with my current one. But they sure did help me market myself.

Last edited:
Wouldn't say internships "define" career paths, bu they certainly boost a resume to make it more attractive to employers (if that's what you meant).

Engineers in general are very versatile professionals, I know a guy that went from mechanical design to a hedge fund (though post-MBA). So to say summer internships define a 30+ yr career sounds like an overstatement to me.

Case in point, my internships had nothing to do with my first job, and my first job doesn't have much to do with my current one, other than a steadily progression of responsibility and title.

That's not the statement I was making. I'm simply stating that interning can help you discover which fields you are and are not interested in, but I guess it's hard to state anything on here without quoting someone first...

You want the interview to be a 100% display of all your skills and your confidence in those skills.

Agreed, the trick is a lot of people, especially students, don't know what they know, or at least don't know how to articulate it well. The key is expressing what you know as a series of relatable and practical experiences. And NEVER pretend to be someone your not, or know something you don't. Even if you get the job, it's pretty likely that can catch up to you eventually (but some folks slide by without problems).

That's not the statement I was making. I'm simply stating that interning can help you discover which fields you are and are not interested in, but I guess it's hard to state anything on here without quoting someone first...

Gotcha, misread, and true.

Engineers in general are very versatile professionals, I know a guy that went from mechanical design to a hedge fund (though post-MBA). I'm planning to do something similar (though not in finance). So to say summer internships define a 30+ yr career sounds like an overstatement to me.

My 3 internships had nothing to do with my first job, and my first job doesn't have much to do with my current one. But they sure did help me market myself.

See that often with engineering students. Get a bachelor in engineering and then go on to get a MBA to become an investment banker or so. Especially since finance corporations and banks like to hire engineers as well. Initially to me it seemed like a great idea when seeing how much investment bankers make, but then when seeing how much it costs/debt to get a MBA from a top business school I was like :x. Especially for going into a field I dont know if I'd like or not. I guess its the same route if you want to be a CEO also

Last edited:
Internships are super important, did 1 undergrad and 1 graduate. MSME 2001, getting to be an old man.

take whatever you can get, even if you don't want to end up at that company. I've worked in automotive, semiconductor, and even elevator design, didn't end up in any of those fields.

Last edited:
Any of you guys work in construction management or have knowledge about the field?

Back
Top Bottom