Engineering Majors?

I took calc 1-3 then differential equations after. actually thought calc 2 was the most difficult of the 3
I remember when they took chemistry out of our req'd curriculum the following year I took it :smh: I had to pass a qualifying exam to skip the pre-req chem class too :lol:
was never a big fan of chem ever since high school

I took calc 1-3 then differential equations after. actually thought calc 2 was the most difficult of the 3
I remember when they took chemistry out of our req'd curriculum the following year I took it :smh: I had to pass a qualifying exam to skip the pre-req chem class too :lol:
I felt the same. Calc 2 is probably the hardest of all 3. Calc 3 was quite easy.

I felt the same. Calc 2 is probably the hardest of all 3. Calc 3 was quite easy.

Even calc 2 was pretty easy if you practiced it at all.

Just took a second for it to click

bruhs....I have a huge dilemma.

Started my new job this week (civil) but another company offered me a position in the design unit. (I followed up with them multiple times after I interviewed and also notified them I had multiple offers on the table, but it wasn't until last week they offered me up, once I already started work)

It's a bigger company, the place I'm at right now is less than 10 people in the office. This is my first gig so I don't want to mess anything up. The thing is, I'm temporary for now at my current position and have to wait a period of 6 months till I become permanent. The other job would be a permanent hire from the get go, with more opportunity at design. The company I'm currently at wants to groom me into diff. aspects of the company, such as field work and surveying, drafting, and planning and see where I stick. Both jobs are in traffic engineering

I'm just thankful to finally land a job after some time of looking, I feel like I'm leaning towards accepting that other offer...

can anyone chime in on their experiences with working for big vs. small companies?

Last edited:
Personally I would take the permanent position. Yeah it's kind of messed up to leave so soon but you have to do what's best for you. Ask them how long you have to make a decision on the offer. Weigh out the pros and cons then go from there.

Personally I would take the permanent position. Yeah it's kind of messed up to leave so soon but you have to do what's best for you. Ask them how long you have to make a decision on the offer. Weigh out the pros and cons then go from there.

thanks man, I think that's what's kind of holding me back which is the human factor. They said yes to me and gave me my first legit shot. They are really good people too and a close knit group. I don't mind the temp position since nothing is guaranteed for any job anyways, but it would be nice to be focused primarily in design, which is my passion.

I honestly thought I had no chance at this other job since they were looking for someone with more practical experience. I'm going to follow up on Monday and see where this goes.

Civil Engineers , what's a day of work is usually like for you guys please I need some guidance, A lot of ppl have been telling to wait till I'm done with year 2 before i start applying for internships , I just want to make sure this is the right career path for me .

Last edited:
a
Even calc 2 was pretty easy if you practiced it at all.

Just took a second for it to click

yea, calculus two requires more time in the study books and practice.

Like you said, it just clicks after a while and it's smooth sailing :smokin

Civil Engineers , what's a day of work is usually like for you guys please I need some guidance, A lot of ppl have been telling to wait till I'm done with year 2 before i start applying for internships , I just want to make sure this is the right career path for me .

I think you're being advised this because you should be done with the pre-requisites for the civil engineering major by then....

Aren't you supposed to take take some engineering courses during these 2 years though? intro to engineering or something like that?

This is where people get weeded out AND where you decide if this type of stuff suits you...

Apply now don't listen to these guys. You want to intern every summer until you graduate, preferably a different company and position each summer. This will give you a lot of experience and upper hand on competition when trying to land a full time job. All of my friends followed this method and landed jobs months ahead of graduation making 70K-100K in all types of engineering fields.

I will say that you are very late in applying for summer internships.Most summer interns are hired from September - May, but most are hired during the fall.

Try to keep your GPA at 3.0+.Apply to everything and be willing to relocate for opportunities. Goodluck !

Last edited:
Apply now don't listen to these guys. You want to intern every summer until you graduate, preferably a different company and position each summer. This will give you a lot of experience and upper hand on competition when trying to land a full time job. All of my friends followed this method and landed jobs months ahead of graduation making 70K-100K in all types of engineering fields.

I will say that you are very late in applying for summer internships.Most summer interns are hired from September - May, but most are hired during the fall.
Try to keep your GPA at 3.0+.Apply to everything and be willing to relocate for opportunities. Goodluck !

Agreed. I should have been looking for an internship after last year (my freshman year) but I opted to find a job over the summer and save money. I'll be on the hunt for an internship for next summer starting in the fall.

Agreed. I should have been looking for an internship after last year (my freshman year) but I opted to find a job over the summer and save money. I'll be on the hunt for an internship for next summer starting in the fall.
What made you choose a part time low paying job compared to a great paying engineering internship that will help you with you career?

You can save much more money with an internship compared to regular part time jobs.

It's funny when my friend landed his first internship going into to his senior year he was making $22/hr. When he got his 1st paycheck he said, "This is more money than I would have made working minimum wage ALL summer." He couldn't believe it.He then went on to accept a full time position with them at the end of the summer. I think people really underestimate the power of internships.

Last edited:
What made you choose a part time low paying job compared to a great paying engineering internship that will help you with you career?
You can save much more money with an internship compared to regular part time jobs.

It's funny when my friend landed his first internship going into to his senior year he was making $22/hr. When he got his 1st paycheck he said, "This is more money than I would have made working minimum wage ALL summer." He couldn't believe it.He then went on to accept a full time position with them at the end of the summer. I think people really underestimate the power of internships.

I almost make what your friend made at my summer job. I was under the impression most internships arent paid and I need money to do things next semester/year.

My guess on why take a part time is so he can still go to school and get classes done. That's what I'm doing, been working part time for 4 years while going to school. It would be impossible for me not to work (no aid except loans).

My guess on why take a part time is so he can still go to school and get classes done. That's what I'm doing, been working part time for 4 years while going to school. It would be impossible for me not to work (no aid except loans).

Yeah I like having money in my pocket during school haha. Being broke in college is no joke

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure all engineering internships are paid. If I'm wrong someone aware me.

I almost make what your friend made at my summer job. I was under the impression most internships arent paid and I need money to do things next semester/year.
Thats a great summer job, that was full time too? I understand that makes sense. I was the same way had to work internships to have money during the year.

Nah as an engineer my rule is to never work a non paid internship it just doesn't make sense. You have interns making between $20-$36/hr why would I take a non paid internship? There are plenty of paid ones.
I'm talking summer internships,unless you take summer classes you won't be in school. Co-ops and fall internships are great opportunities too.

@jon4rd  No there are unpaid internships most are at companies that are trying to get over. Even the Department of State offers unpaid internships every summer. I'd never do it though.

Last edited:

eagles fan & future civil engineer? my kind of guy. I think civil would be a great career choice, I'm just now getting started. I start my first real gig next monday and will be in the design unit. I'll be in the office with field work on occasion. Will def update once things start to get going.

eagles fan & future civil engineer? my kind of guy. I think civil would be a great career choice, I'm just now getting started. I start my first real gig next monday and will be in the design unit. I'll be in the office with field work on occasion. Will def update once things start to get going.

Lol will PM on you bro , you're really active in this thread .

Once you're in your later years in college and start taking engineering courses, you'll have a better idea of what branch you fit best in and are more interested in. I would recommend starting to get into internships as soon as you can. That experience goes a long way once you're dialed in to what you really want to do as a civil.

When I first started college, I wanted to do structural. Once I got into the engineering classes, and had more passion for transportation and water resources. Now I'm water resources/environmental PE and love what I do.

Nice, those two are also what i like best. Water is what i always wanted to do, but currently takin a transortation couse and it has change my mind a whole lot about the subject. Just wait and see what you like.

Last edited:
got my results from my FE exam today.....and I PASSED!
nthat.gif
tumblr_m5qewl8BpF1rwnvfpo1_500.gif

congrats my brother  , give me another year or two .

Back
Top Bottom